Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    What's everyone's obsession with guard?
    (0)

Player
    It just has to be useful! Come on, stop thinking inside the box Tiger!
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    What's everyone's obsession with guard?
    Guard is the most awesome defensive skill in the game... when it decides to actually work.

You don't see Shield or Parry completely negating attacks like Spike Flail. Just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass to skill up;

Currently at 171, and still trying to determine an optimal setup + location to farm. So far I've seen best results vs Fear Dearga in Altepa on MNK/RDM. I currently have 30% PDT in gear (no black belt) and go MC Vicissitude & Stronhold for atma, putting up Phalanx when I can. However the most I can take is around 4 of them at a time without actually losing any HP (vs my PLD that can take almost as many as I want due to stupidly high Def values despite having less PDT gear).
    (0)
    Last edited by Malacite; 08-21-2011 at 09:51 AM.

And completely negating a spike flail is perhaps why SE doesn't make it proc more often.
    (2)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Guard is the most awesome defensive skill in the game... when it decides to actually work.
    If your group gets hit with spike flail, you need to quit the game. Who cares if it blocks a move you should never be hit by. It only negates the first hit of a ws attack. The rest of the hits are just reduced damage like a regular guard.

Being able to finish casting(shield, parry, evasion), or completely negating damage on moves that you should actually be getting hit by (parry, evasion)

Is way better than anything guard has to offer.

The only thing guard was ever good for was ballista, where it actually procced often when I had it capped, but nobody does that anymore.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaraixx View Post
    Clearly designed for RDM? It's been in the .dats for WHM for a long time. Aside from higher tier version, WHM has always learned the same white magic enfeebles RDM. I don't know why this would come as a surprise.

See SCH and SMN.
    Hi DiaIII, BioIII, Dispel, ParalyzeII, SlowII.
    If you mean FF games in general, RDMs got reflect, float, and a bunch of other shit that WHM's didnt.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TRiPP View Post
    To be honest, I think Monk should be able to gain different fighting styles throughout these updates. There's so many forms of martial arts in the world, yet... we're stuck with two, one virtually useless. (Here's looking at you Footwork.) I.e. Things like Wing Chun , Aikido and Capoeira to name a few. Each one enhancing something of Monk, and not giving it something incredibly debilitating. (Like Counterstance lowering complete defense.) Just a few thoughts as to what could of been added.

Praying Mantis - Attacks inflict potent paralysis. - only active when not moving, effect loss when you move.
    Tiger - attacks will inflict "bleed", dot of 20hp/tick.
    Drunken - Evasion major boost, occ attacks 3-4 times.
    Dragon - reduces guard and counter rate to 0%. Increases attack speed(job ability haste) crit hit rate(15%).
    monkey - Decreases speed and dmg taken, increases WS dmg.
    ...Panda - Dispenses Noodles
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    If your group gets hit with spike flail, you need to quit the game.

Yes because everyone is just awesome and accidents never happen.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacite View Post
    My group (me and my mule) butt tank fafnir/nidhogg anyways. duoing from the front and getting terror = fail.
    (1)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacite View Post
    Accidents like standing a mob's tail nobody in your party should be standing behind?
    (1)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast