Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
    It's both, yes. Staves do offer a wide variety of utility, but yes I have always said that one of the key features of Red Mage is its gear selection and ability to switch all of its gear slots at any time. Keeping swords on dashes that versatility in two of the most potent slots, which was the entire point of the conflict he originally cited.
    (3)

I was just pointing out the confusion.

It's nothing specific to the staves themselves though there are a lot of useful staves.

If you mention staves specifically though people tend to assume you are talking about something else such as the magic accuracy debate cited so many times that isn't necessarily true.
    (1)

Character
    Grievor
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Agreement with supersun, my issue isnt why im shackled to staffs, like i said, everyone knows why, my only statement was to the magic accuracy aspect specifically, and the other reasons were not to be addressed because in short, im well aware of what they do, but i was asking why there was so much contradction over staff vs no staff m.acc on GENERAL content, not situational content. You bringing in the staffs do more than make us more accurate was not something i addressed because frankly, i wasnt even talking about nuke potency, cure potency, evasion/skill boosts, pdt, or anything else.

As far as you ignoring my question, that comes off as a very machiavellian perspective, where as i interperit it, you saw an opertunity where you can in one fell swoop try to silence the nay-sayers who feel staffs offer in many cases, random superfluous enhancements (attack/ranged attack say hello.) to redmage, as well as "defeat" those who say the magic accuracy isnt nessesary on general content.

But thats my understanding of your posts, needless to say, the staff bonuses are a dead-horse topic, and it needs neither to be beaten more, nor do the redmage populace need to be educated on why theyre effective. Thank you sir, but again, on a list of things we as a whole already know and understand.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    My only real concern with percentages is that the numbers in-game aren't big enough for it to be "visible". It might be possible to work around it, though.
    Almost nothing in this game is visible to the naked eye, so that would be par for the course. FFXI just isn't a game where eyeballing is an effective form of measurement. I can understand why some people dislike this, but I enjoy that it rewards people who take the time to understand the effects of statistics, spells, and abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    The fact that a spell can stop monster actions, even if they are as seemingly meaningless as auto attacks, is much bigger than you are considering.
    I get what you're saying about the theory, but it doesn't work that way in practice. A monster's auto-attacks just exist to wear down the MP of the healer in any competent group, or to finish someone off if directly after a TP move or spell. And yeah, everything does hit like a truck and always will, but plenty of ways to deal with that exist.

Spells are a mixed bag, depending on the monster, but generally Sleepga II or Paralyga will be deadlier than anything that does damage if a group is prepared. If you really want to stop a spell, though, Stun would be the first choice.

The TP moves or special abilities of monsters are the real danger for any competent group, and those are designed to bypass the effects of Slow (monsters gain the majority of TP through being hit, not through hitting), Paralyze (it can't activate on this sort of ability), and sometimes even Stun (the ability comes out too fast).

FFXI has some unorthodox dynamics, but the game is designed with those in mind and it works. One of those dynamics is that we often need to stop the actions of boss-level monsters and that we are able to.

Dia and Bio no longer overwriting each other would be very welcome, if only because Bio takes priority currently in spite of being near-pointless for most fights.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Slasher View Post
    As far as you ignoring my question, that comes off as a very Machiavellian perspective, where as i interpret it, you saw an opportunity where you can in one fell swoop try to silence the nay-sayers who feel staffs offer in many cases, random superfluous enhancements (attack/ranged attack say hello.) to redmage, as well as "defeat" those who say the magic accuracy isn't necessary on general content.
    It's more likely that he just couldn't figure out what you were asking exactly, since the question was worded in a peculiar way. I've gone back two pages and read the question four times, read the discussion about it, and I'm still a little confused.

An answer to the question as I understood it: Different people have different notions of "general" content, and probably even different standards for what "reliable" is, so of course they're going to say different stuff.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Random thing but I'll put it here anyway.

Since we got MAB III last level cap I wonder if we'll get MDB III this one, also I wonder if we'll get another fast cast by 99 since they raised the cap.
    (1)

Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    It's both, yes. Staves do offer a wide variety of utility, but yes I have always said that one of the key features of Red Mage is its gear selection and ability to switch all of its gear slots at any time. Keeping swords on dashes that versatility in two of the most potent slots, which was the entire point of the conflict he originally cited.
    I hate using a staff and swapping constantly. The reason I use the staff over the blade is because the magic accuracy and magic potency for the right element. If Temper added Magic Attack bonus and Magic accuracy bonuses for bladed weapons I'd love to full time the +15 magic accuracy sword. What seems to be the case with me is equipping a one handed weapon not only lowers magic accuracy but possibly the 2 handed stat bonuses.

Where is blade catalyst / blade finesse (trait) (all MP based magics boosted with a dagger or sword equipped equal to 2-handed staff bonuses(enhanced by sword or dagger skill for benefit bonuses depending on what weapon type is equipped)) This is Similar to mages casting spells with a wand as a catalyst drawing symbols in the air. A RDM equipped with a dagger or sword would use the metal weapon as a catalyst with skills of a master fencer and mage combined to enhance their potency and accuracy. This fits the job type well and would hopefully satisfy both melee and back line mages equally.

or what about the ability to multicast or cast to combine magics. Multicast cast the ability to cast two or more spells once with slowest delay for both.

Temper is nice but I want something more like longer durations equal to my composer for all my buffs that way the cycles are timed by mine wearing off. The catalyst trait would be a nice place t start unless it's added to an item.

Something no other job would have, quick cast will be an ability not a trait right? Just more things to clutter up a single macro set.

Lastly, why isn't death blossom useful? Say 100TP it nullifies 25% enemy enfeeble resistance with aftermath, 200% 50% and with 300% 75% for 300%. Such a good weapon skill wasted on 10 magic accuracy. Th ability to ignore resistance would be a godsend for RDM enfeebles even for a 30 seconds.

Until developers think outside the box for RDM the only thing well see is rehashes for abilities other jobs already have.
    (2)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    RDM isn't meant to be a melee mage DD hybrid, bluemage is. Redmage is a backline support/debuffer job.

Notice how your ideas want to add COMPLETELY insane things that are new and not easily added? There's a reason for that - you're trying to change the job completely. That is not SE's intention.
    (2)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarick View Post
    Where is blade catalyst / blade finesse (trait) (all MP based magics boosted with a dagger or sword equipped equal to 2-handed staff bonuses(enhanced by sword or dagger skill for benefit bonuses depending on what weapon type is equipped)
    I agree with this idea. We wouldn't really need it if itemization was simple enough that the devs could create real hybrid swords (attack power and direct boosts to spell damage/accuracy instead of having to play with INT, MAB and so on).

It's definitely something to concider, and hey, the less staves matter to us, the better.
    (1)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

Player
    A level 99 sword with the same elemental affinities as a set of HQ staffs would be nice. Blue Mage, Red Mage, and even Corsair could all see some benefit from such an item.

An armed revolution to overthrow the bourgeois upper-class, live in their mansions, and eat their pampered children would also be nice.

I seriously doubt either of these things will ever come to pass, and if I had to pick, I'd take the second one anyway.

Edit: Magian staffs would still be better for elemental magic, obviously. Also, now that I think about it, is it even possible for an item to have an affinity for multiple elemental affinities? Even if it is, is there "room" for all of them on one thing even if the effect is hidden?
    (0)
    Last edited by SpankWustler; 08-29-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast