Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    You are not a whm, you will never be a whm, you were never meant to be a whm. If you want cure V, level whm.
    (7)

Character
    Erinael
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    4) Meriting Light Arts
    Perhaps the next set of merits can include merits to Light (and Dark) Arts. For example, you could merit effects like enmity decay or casting time.

Would sure beat the hell out of meriting "grimoire recast"

You know a potent regen added to cures could be neat to, sch version of cureskin.. but that or a "healing helix" would have to be far and above any current "regen" spell I'd think.

Find it amazing how whm's get so butthurt over one spell, its as if they have no other tools and abilities that make them more useful than anyone else and everything hinges on it.
    (2)

Character
    Chaosi
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    You are not a whm, you will never be a whm, you were never meant to be a whm. If you want cure V, level whm.
    No matter how you turn it. there has been no new cure for SCH (lvl 55) or RDM (lvl 48) (or PLD lvl 55) for 40 level! And Cure 4 is SJable by any other Job. I don't even care about Cure V, but there has to be at least some tool, to improve the currently lacking ability to keep people alive accordingly. Take a look at how SCH main healed back in the days of a lvsl75 Vana'diel:

Who wants to be WHM? Back in the days SCH was a good healer because it was able to prevent DMG like almost no other job, which lessened the need of cure spammage. Stoneskin never uncapped after the level cap has been upped, neither was a second tier released.

I'd like to see tools to prevent dmg instead of curing all of it. That would fit much better to SCH. Make it possible for us to use rapture on it to enhance it so it absorbs 525 HP (+50% from rapture, +60% with emp+2 resulting in 560 HP absorbed)

Give us a spell that converts big incoming damage into DoT (strengh depending on total dmg it would have dealt?) instead, that can then be erased from the target through erase or any other new spell. Sounds overpowered? Just scale it correctly.

There could be many different approaches to give SCH more tools to keep people alive without stepping on WHMs toes.
    Anything really but not just nothing at all.
    (6)
    Last edited by Crossarius; 08-21-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaraixx View Post
    Good ideas
    I like your ideas as usual Sasaraixx. I'll support any Cure V alternative that works without being a reactive spamming of one spell, a la WHM.

1)I like your name for the healing helix the most! The concept is a little too abstract right now to know if it would turn out useful. I can see if you have 200+ HP ticking at the frequency of regen then you get essentially a Cure V result in the time it takes to cast Cure IV or a bit after. That may be enough.

My problem with this is it just seems so ordinary. I'm more a fan of SCH keeping a party alive by not having to cure at all, which was largely the case in old exp parties 40-75. I think they can do this by boosting Adloquium and Animus enough that we keep the attention on the tank ensured, and by introducing phalanx/stoneskin style damage mitigation alternatives like the Glyphs that Judge posted a while back. If Abyssea-style "balance" is kept, it may not be possible to make enmity and TP control matter anymore, though, so Sanare it is!

2) Sotek had mentioned something like this and I like it. Maybe a JA you use before strat that makes the strat last a period of time instead of wearing off with one spell, but during that time you can't switch arts?

3) very much in support of boosting storms and animus. For storms, I'd go with the Geomancy JA that increases the target's current weather to double weather and adds a bonus associated with the element (double attack for fire, critical hit for wind, etc.). Most importantly, I'd put the JA on a timer so we can maybe have it applied to one or two people at once, but not the whole party. I'd rather have this idea of trade-off than just replace all current tier 1 storms with a different tier 2 to cycle for everyone. Geomancy would be a nice merit ability where you can reduce the recast timer with upgrades, and would be a natural 99 extension of Stormsurge imo.

For Animus and Adloquium, I like the idea posted here of a party-target Modus Veritas ability that increased potency and decreased duration of tick based buffs. Again, make it so we can boost regen (or Sanare!), Adloquium etc. on maybe one or two people based on the recast.

5) Gear is where I don't think we need help. I often see Aurorastorm + Korin Obi + Twilight Cape left off of our cure potency considerations. With these, you can force light weather bonus to proc 100% of the time, and our current available cure potency stands at 59% (1.38 gear x 1.15 spell + cape + obi), which is higher than WHM can get due to gear cap being 50% and WHM not being able to rely on weather without a SCH main. I think this is why SCH was left off of Roundel and Facio.
    (5)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossarius View Post
    Give us a spell that converts big incoming damage into DoT (strengh depending on total dmg it would have dealt?) instead, that can then be erased from the target through erase or any other new spell. Sounds overpowered? Just scale it correctly.
    I'm LOVING this. Have to think about it some more, but currently loving.
    (0)

Player
    2) Sotek had mentioned something like this and I like it. Maybe a JA you use before strat that makes the strat last a period of time instead of wearing off with one spell, but during that time you can't switch arts?
    I can see it working in two ways:
    1. You use the JA and it is used up instead of Stratagems, with the spell still getting their effect, meaning they can last for two spells. This would possibly have balance issues, but it would mean you can use it, switch Arts, and apply new Stratagems.
    2. You use it, then use a Stratagem and the effect is used up and the Stratagem wears off after two spells. This way it would only effect one Stratagem and you can't switch Arts after using the Stratagem (well you can, but it would be wasted).

I'm incline to go with 1. It sounds a bit unbalanced, but I don't really think it is. You're not going to spam a great deal of Stratagems on it regardless. I can see myself getting more use out of it too. Accession and Perpetuance would last for Protect V and Shell V, or Stoneskin and Phalanx for example. With Perpetuance in mind, I'd put it on a 5 minute timer. Perfect for buffing, great for nuking, absolutely fucking amazing for Immanence (in general) Five V + Thunder V > Ukko's Fury (when the time comes, that is).

If we did get something like this, I'd be even more puzzled at SE's choice of Tabula Rasa buff, though. Making it so Stratagems just don't wear off during it seems like a perfectly reasonable request considering the only Scholar NPC you fight in the game gets this exact effect. Then again, this is SE we're talking about. We just got an update notice with little else but 2Hr spells, when they've mentioned things like reducing the recast on Modus Veritas (I really don't have it in me to make a point about that anymore) and we've barked it at them to increase the range on Libra. Those two things don't take long to implement - certainly not the month we'll have to wait for a minor update if they're not in this one - so I see no reason not to have them done this update. They could have mentioned Sublimation too, unless I'm mistaken we should be getting an extra tic at Lv.95. Might be an issue with their new layout for Job Adjustment notices, though. I'm still used to getting two or three parts with actual details in them, rather than a single one just detailing new stuff. Then again they mentioned extending Tabulas effect, so who knows.

As for healing capabilities, I must say I've lost interest. I've seen it all from "You could handle -nas/Erase because our White Mage is shit and being lazy", "Running up and spending 12 seconds doing Phalanxga is more overpowered than spending 1 second to Cure an excessive amount of HP and give the target Stoneskin" to "Scholar can nuke as well so it shouldn't rival White Mage". Honestly, if so many people think FFXI should have just one job capable of main healing, I'm not going to argue. SE doesn't listen to reason. I've lost my patience trying to explain that Scholar simply cannot fill the role of Black Mage and White Mage at the same time. The most it can do is fill the role of Black Mage (ignore Stagger for a moment) and switch to White Mage if the need arises, the reverse simply isn't true so I don't get why White Mages try to make a point of it (and actually, the point of Afflatus Solace seems to be to let White Mage dish out some damage while healing so what the hell?), it's more perplexing given the fact that Black Mages have far more reason to complain about Scholar due to this fact, but don't; at least not en mass like White Mages.
    (5)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotek View Post
    Honestly, if so many people think FFXI should have just one job capable of main healing, I'm not going to argue.
    If it's any comfort, this argument is usually made by people who play White Mage in such a way that they think Cure V is the job's singular strong point.

Personally, I'd love to see at least Scholar gain some effective healing abilities beyond "Cure IV with all the fixins' and gravy". Cure V, Cure IV and 1/2 with Bonus Regen, Humpty Hump's Healing Helix; whatever.
    (1)

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    If I had a second spell exactly like cure4 in every way (except different recast timer), I think that'd be pretty adequate for my purposes.

The biggest issue is having a second decent cure to spam on tanks.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I want to say that there's a middle ground here but this isn't really middle ground. A lot of old systems were shit. Some new systems aren't much better. What's in the middle of shit and shit? More Shit. So no, I don't want a middle ground. I want something good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsoul View Post
    >Twilight Scythe is overpowered that's why we're nerfing it
    >Weapons with double damage compared to relic

LOGIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    \m/ (*.*) \m/ "THIS SOLUTION IS THE MOST METAL!" \m/ (*.*) \m/

Character
    Gaiben
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I <3 SCHs. Looking at the different threads for wanting Cure V between RDM and SCH, SCH maybe be shorter, but is a lot more detailed and intellegently surefooted. While the RDM one is full of arguments and debating. I guess that is the difference between a job that is the grab bag of can do almost anything without trying and the job that can greatly excell, though only when putting one's mind to it.

I really hope SCH gets something that reflects its tactical intellegence. /Cheer SE, you can do it!
    (1)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Giving other jobs Cure V itself currently would cause more problems then most people lend credit to it, at least for White Mage. Of course, there are people who don't recognize this because they hate the job. They claim that White Mages who don't support Cure V to other classes but instead support Scholar getting unique buffs are being lazy and not using their tools but requiring Scholar who are doing the majority of healing in a party to accession a few buffs are legendary heroes who shouldn't be considered in game balance, despite effective White Mages having to run up to the mob to do buffs that place the White Mage closer to the mob for longer. Then they count the White Mage having to risk its hide as reasons White Mage is more powerful then White Mage's most powerful spell, and count Cure VI as a mark of what a White Mage is, despite it not being the more efficient cure spell.

Anyways, enough ranting about players who are upset their job isn't White Mage. I'll get to someone with good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaraixx View Post
    Healing Helix
    I think many people have suggested this idea. Mainly because it is good and fits the feel of Scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    very much in support of boosting storms and animus. For storms, I'd go with the Geomancy JA that increases the target's current weather to double weather and adds a bonus associated with the element (double attack for fire, critical hit for wind, etc.).
    Somehow, this is the only way I can see Scholar getting double weather due to the consequences of Scholars getting it. Except, I see it being a job ability that would only work on other targets.

If SE thinks that double weather isn't straight overpowered for Scholar though, they might just get it. I have mixed feelings on the matter myself, since on one hand, weather effects are contenders for Scholar's single best unique buff that fits the flavor of the job, but on the other, a 30% bonus to spells is very powerful. I hope SE figures something out (or at worst, makes Scholars who 2hour get double weather spells), because I would like to see double weather, even if it isn't something that can be used often.

Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    Gear is where I don't think we need help. I often see Aurorastorm + Korin Obi + Twilight Cape left off of our cure potency considerations. With these, you can force light weather bonus to proc 100% of the time, and our current available cure potency stands at 59% (1.38 gear x 1.15 spell + cape + obi), which is higher than WHM can get due to gear cap being 50% and WHM not being able to rely on weather without a SCH main. I think this is why SCH was left off of Roundel and Facio.
    Most arguments about who has what cure spells pretty much ignore this (and any other points that might be against people getting Cure V). Either getting capped cure potency (Abyssea you can get this without even getting the two harder cure potency pieces) or double weather effects would put Scholar at a rate where they could effectively negate the very situational advantage of cureskin on all but the best geared White Mages. Capped cure potency plus double weather would just curb stomp any White Mage not being buffed by a Scholar (72% for capped + Aura, 79% for 38% + double Aura, and 95% for both capped and double Aura).

If I had to guess on the biggest reason Scholar doesn't get Cure V, this would be one of the first two guesses I'd put forth.

Of course, once Abyssea lowmans aren't what everyone on the forums is whining about, we'll probably see endgame content that has Scholar being the support backbone of most alliances. I much more enjoy discussion about what cool new toys all the mage classes get in larger parties rather then moaning about lowmans, since this happens to be an MMO.
    (1)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast