Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Weapon Skills - Do we get new ones?

The thinking behind the question:

Ok! So the last "set" of weaponskills we got across all jobs was at 300 skill level yes? I was assuming Job Adjustments meant we would be getting new weaponskills as well, (and I mean weaponskills we can use ANYWHERE, not just in campaign battle, don't get me wrong i love me some Uriel Blade, but unless you're in campaign you cannot use it, i also don't mean emph weaponskills because you don't actually need a skill level to get them, IE you can have them at 0 skill as long as you put in the work) but then i really thought about it and i would like to call out a pattern or a break of a pattern if you will of when we have gotten weaponskills, be they useless or not, i will use sword skill as an example because, for one i like pld and 2 it seems like as good a skill as any to start, for three, a lot of jobs get skill in it. I also see nothing about adding new weaponskills which has traditionally been released in the update notes at some point, leading me to wonder whether we simply keep getting skill lvls for the accuracy of our weapons.

Name of Skill -- Level Obtained >> Level difference between skills
    Fast blade -- 5 >> 5
    Burning Blade -- 30 >> 25
    Red Lotus Blade -- 50 >> 20
    Flat Blade -- 75 >> 25
    Shining Blade -- 100 >> 25
    Seraph Blade --125 >> 25
    Circle Blade --150 >> 25
    Spirits Within -- 175 >> 25
    Vorpal Blade -- 200 >> 25
    Swift Blade (pld only) -- 225 >> 25
    Savage blade -- 240 >> 15 for pld, 40 for everyone else
    Sanguine Blade -- 300 >> 60

There is where i will stop because none of the other ws actually require any set skill level, just having the weapons/quest. I am sure values change on a weapon by weapon (skill by skill) basis but this is pretty typical, i think.

Now that is taken care of i would like to point out, that most of the weaponskills are obtained at 20-25 skill intervals... until the last ones they gave us... 60 skill levels between ws. I'm not sure why they waited so long to give us ONE weaponskill. Even at lvl 75 Cap we got pretty much nothing for having a skill fully capped. The skill cap on and A+ skill was 276 we should have been able to obtain another weaponskill based on the above pattern even with weapons that have their final 'quest' weaponskill at 250 (greatsword as an example). 276-250 = 26 levels (I did think about the fact that the nyzle isle weaponskills required level 75, but there again, not based on skill). Now an A+ skill caps at 361 so we should have at LEAST another weaponskill, even if the new pattern is 60 levels between weaponskills, implementing a weaponskill for a select few through emph weapons follows the pattern of relics, ok, thats cool, but not really the point. The weaponskills mentioned above are availble to most or all jobs that can use them regardless of weapon equipped. Why didn't we get more of them? By the above pattern, we should have 4 weaponskills (rounded) that can be obtained between 250 (going off the highest possible 'quest' weaponskill value) and the current cap of 361.

The Question: Will the General population (all jobs, based on SKILL, not obtaining a weapon. Having to do a quest at a certain lvl of skill would be most acceptable) get new weaponskills either this update or in the NEAR (i'm being specific here, i don't wanna hear 'eventually' or maybe, hopefully next update) future?

Ok! and now for the suggestions:

1) You can use animations that are already in the game for -new- weaponskills, obtainable at a skill level, as opposed to with a certain weapon or under certain conditions.

2) Allow WAR / RDM / PLD / BLU / COR access to Uriel Blade (ok I think PLD should have it at LEAST, seeing as the campaign general that uses it is pld, the other jobs, sans drk, which i don't think needs wings and light based ws, can use the griffenclaw in campaign battles, which is why they are listed as possibilities) to use uriel blade outside of campaign battles based on their sword SKILL Level, i do not care if it is level 400 skill which we have to obtain only through putting merits into sword skill, given the current 361 Cap i don't foresee this as being THAT far off, assuming we get 5 skill points per level, this would put us at 386 next update, meaning you would have to be level 98~ to obtain Uriel Blade outside of campaign battles and only lvl 73 while under the influence of campaign tags. (I would like to see it MUCH sooner obviously) This, ironically enough would help PLD's maintain enmity through the 'flash' additional effect(look, it helps out with pld's enmity difficulties without reworking enmity caps!), i kind of assumed you want us to use our A+ skill instead of our A- club skill in which until flash nova there is no good ws, making it Single-Target would help with balance, so that a pld could not defeat anymore enemies at once, (not that other weaponskills don't do that already ie circle blade, fell cleave, cataclysm, just to name a few) The same could be done for Glory Slash and the Staff weapon skill that also comes from Allied Notes (the name escapes me at the moment) in regards to their skill, i would assume that jobs getting uriel blade would not be able obtain Glory Slash also, even if they did, putting it at a lower/higher level would be helpful.

Now that i have rambled a bit, i would like to hear suggestions from others! Please please please do NOT post if for some strange reason you're against adding in new weaponskills for some crazy reason (unless of course you're a dev then that'd be an answer to my question and be ok) mostly by crazy i mean because they would suck or be useless or whatever. The idea of them being at a higher skill level would be that they are BETTER then what we have now. Weapon skills you think would be good for other jobs would be awesome.
    (0)
    FFXI forever! 99 PLD THF DRG DNC WHM SCH BRD BLM BLU BST
    Burtgang Excalibur Aegis Ochain

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Not that I disagree with you, new weapon skills would be nice as level cap rises (personally I think it is unlikely).

However higher skill level weapon skills don't always mean they are better.

Just one example off the very top of my head:

Blade: Ei is skill level 175
    Blade: Retsu is skill level 30.

Yes Ei is an elemental weapon skill - but it is honestly just a rubbish weapon skill. Retsu which you get 145 skill levels earlier is much better in comparison.

Just an example that high combat skill Level doesn't equal a good weapon skill. There are some terrible WS's on the higher end of combat skills out there also.

Peace
    (0)

Character
    Bubeeky
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 92
    I think we'll get more ws's....I can't imagine going another 9 levels without having some kind of ultimate ws...of course whm's will be the coolest and most damaging, because we are the awesomest. (j/k )
    (2)
    Love life, dare to dream, and LIVE ON PURPOSE!
    Also make sure to beat up any evil elvaans along the way, as we all know tarus are the ultimate race.

Somehow i doubt we'll get new Weaponskills. I've always wanted more... But at this point theres very few niche's left to fill, I mean, if i can take some creative liberty...

Hand-to-Hand:400
    Thundering Fist - Deals Lightning Elemental damage and Stuns target. Damage varies with TP
    fTP 100/200/300: 3.0/3.5/4.0
    Mods: VIT:50
    (Animation: Pull back like Ascetics', "Lightning" comes from the fists > Punches Enemy and electricity shoots out around it)

Dagger: Skill:400
    Corrosive Sting - Delivers a 3 hit Attack that lowers Enemies Defense. Effect Varies with TP
    100/200/300 Defense down: 15%/25%/35%
    fTP:2.5 Mods: DEX:30 AGI:30

Sword: Skill 395
    Southern Cross - Delivers a 5-hit Attack that Dia's the Enemy. Effect Duration varies with TP
    100/200/300 Dia: 30sec/45sec/60sec (Effect is similar to 1 merit Dia III)
    fTP:1.0 Mods: STR:25 MND:25

Great Sword: Skill:400
    Tectonic Shift - Delivers a 2 fold attack that stuns target. Effect Duration varies with TP
    100/200/300 "Stun": 3/6/9 (effect can be resisted)
    fTP:3.5 Mods: STR:50
    (Similar to savage blade in a way, First hit cuts enemy upward, second hit is "Ground Strike" slash into the ground)

Axe: Skill:390
    Plaguebearer - Deals heavy damage and plagues target. Duration varies with TP
    100/200/300 Plague: 30/45/60
    fTP:4.0 Mods: STR:30 CHR:30

Great Axe: 400
    Pyrrhic Gnash: Deals Fire Elemental damage and burns target. Damage varies with TP
    fTP: 3.0/3.5/4.0 - Burn is 10hp/tic.
    (Raises Great axe above head > Fire engulfs axe > Slashes down on Enemy and causes fire shock wave {Think "Hell Slash" > {Body Slam} effect))

Scythe: 400
    Wanderer's Lament - Delivers a 3-fold Attack. Chance of Critical varies with TP
    fTP: 1.25 Mods: STR:30 INT:30

Polearm: 400
    Draconian Mercy - Converts Damage dealt to Wyverns HP. Damage varies with TP
    fTP: 2.0/2.5/3.5 Mods: STR+30 VIT:50
    (Stabs enemy and lance glows dimly > light shines onto wyvern)

Club: 390
    Wildcat Bash - Delivers a 4 fold attack that lowers enemies attack. Effect Varies with TP
    100/200/300 Effect: 15%/25%/30%
    fTP:1.5 Mods: MND:50 STR:30
    (Similar to Decimation animation)

Staff: 400
    Magician's Wisdom - Delivers a 3 fold Attack that raises Magic Accuracy and Magic Attack. Damage varies with TP
    +10 Magic Accuracy and Magic Attack
    fTP: 2.0/2.5/3.0 Mods INT:50 MND:50

Archery: 400
    Serene Siphon - Lowers enemies magic evasion and converts damage dealt to HP. Effect varies with TP
    100/200/300 M.Eva Down: 10/20/30
    fTP: 2.5 Mods: STR:40

Marksmanship:400
    Mortar Shell - Deals heavy damage and Inflicts Slow. Effect duration varies with TP
    100/200/300 Defense down: 15%/20%/25%
    fTP:4.5 Mods: AGI:25

I don't think i forgot anything.
    (3)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 08-18-2011 at 05:36 AM.

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    While I think we should get more weapon skills at higher skill levels, if SE decides to give out the Campaign Battle WS, they should be quested, and only available to the jobs that can currently use them at a high level.

What should the quest be? Get 250 WSP in Campaign Battle, using the weapon skill.
    (0)

Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    However higher skill level weapon skills don't always mean they are better.
    useless or not,
    ^ From the original post I am not arguing that higher lvl weaponskills don't mean automatically better, vorpal blade does way more damage at 100 tp then savage blade does, but we should still get them, even if they are 'useless'. For nothing other then the sake of the pattern of weaponskills lol

What should the quest be? Get 250 WSP in Campaign Battle, using the weapon skill.
    I would accept up to 1,000 WSP's in campaign battles to have those weaponskills outside of campaign battle. OR! and this hit me while i was re-reading everyone's posts... make it a magian trial where you have to kill/help kill certain NMs in campaign battles or a set number of mobs while under campaign tags, i think either idea would be appropriate since the weapons require Allied Notes, just as i typed that i had another idea, you could introduce a sword/axe/club etc that was 200k Allied notes or some such thing that allowed you to get the ws anywhere after certain requirements are met, like the nyzle weaponskills, (except you'd have to have a certain amount of skill to obtain them like the savage blade quest for example). This would of course be a system and not limited to the Campaign battle ws. (They just seemed like the easiest to make based on skill, since they're already in the game)

Now if we could just a reply from the dev's.... even a 'we'll look into it' would be AWESOME!
    (1)
    Last edited by Kavik; 08-18-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    ... if i can take some creative liberty...
    Might I just say (a little off topic) but a DRG ws that acts as a "Sanguine Blade" for your wyvern would actually be useful to some extent for once... Instead of the current crappy weaponskills that are crappy...

Apart from Drakesbane of course.
    (1)

Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Might I just say (a little off topic) but a DRG ws that acts as a "Sanguine Blade" for your wyvern would actually be useful to some extent for once... Instead of the current crappy weaponskills that are crappy...

Thats actually not too off topic since generating ideas for new weaponskills was part of the OP i put up ^^
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Alderin View Post

Yah that was the idea, Wyverns lack decent survivability, The idea was for a WS that could be situationaly useful to keep your pet alive.

Its balanced, as it requires TP, but its potent (high fTP) enough to keep the wyvern alive, and probably cure it near full from 50%.

With h2h/Great Axe, My intent was to give both of them an Elemental Weaponskill, those weapons lack that ability, so i figured its past due, even if its only use is Amber Lights in abyssea.

Edit: Also the Club WS was a play on Naja Salaheem, What with our Mercenary badges being called "Wildcat Badge". I thought it would be funny.
    (1)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 08-19-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    The dev team seems to be attempting to make the wyvern have better survivability which is good, but that is off topic. There is still nothing noted for weaponskills in the 'job adjustments for the upcoming version update' that was released ; ;.
    (1)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast