Thread: Rdm Fixes

Character
    Jeanluke
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Rdm Fixes

Thought I would start this thread as, from what I see, everyone has a lot of ideas, and complaints of past fixes, to our loved job.

I think to start I'll begin with asking why not give the Rdm a new job ability much like that switches Rdm base roles. Like one role where emnity is lowered so rdm can take a "mage" stance and cast in background. Where benefits are given for 2-handed staff weapons and a increase to fast cast.

Then another where emnity is increased slightly. With an increase in parrying skill, and a bonus of enfeebles/hate generation to en-spell hits. With enfeebling spells generating hate as well. Could have slight stat changes for each as well. Adding sword weapon skills not normally found as Rdm for this role would be good as well.

May be too much here. Point I am making is it seems to me that a lot of us believe Rdm is getting the short end of the stick since abysea. Game balance being very important, doesn't Redmage deserve an overhaul, or are they no longer the Jacks-of-all-Trades that they were always suppose to be. Leave your ideas there are no bad ones. All Opinion based of course.
    (0)
    Last edited by Jeanluke; 03-11-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Neither of those sound very useful.
    (0)

Player
    Why are you involving Dice in all this? We aren't Corsairs.
    (0)

Character
    Jeanluke
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    When I say roll it does not say anything about dice. Sorry Omit >roll< I meant >Role< will fix. Others have stated in instances where Rdm could fit in may roles. I for one agree. Rdm under certain circumstances can perform multiple roles in a party.
    (0)
    Last edited by Jeanluke; 03-11-2011 at 01:04 AM.

I've been wanting some RDM-exclusive elemental magic or something, instead of just hand-me-down magic. So then I thought, how about an ability that supports the idea that a red mage is a support mage;

Magic Fusion. (Job Trait, level 95)
    It would work sort of like the dual techs in Chrono Trigger.
    1. the magic fusion would only work when cast in the same window of time as another spell (like a skillchain)
    2. the spell cast by the rdm has to be an opposing element of the one cast before it.
    3. Result is a magic burst that doesn't require a skillchain beforehand, and is about half the average damage of both the spells cast. (Unless the enemy is weak to both of those elements, in which case it is JUST the average dmg between the two spells, not half the average)

Also "Reflect" would be a nice spell or ability. A one-time reflect that would most commonly be used when you see an enemy casting a huge damage spell. Reflect 100% guaranteed, but not 100% guaranteed to hit the enemy, maybe 70%. 3 min recast time or something like that.
    (1)
    Last edited by radicaldreamer; 03-12-2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Enhancements
    It's important to hold onto your dreams.. Even if it means staying half-asleep.
    -rd

Quote Originally Posted by radicaldreamer View Post
    Also "Reflect" would be a nice spell or ability. A one-time reflect that would most commonly be used when you see an enemy casting a huge damage spell. Reflect 100% guaranteed, but not 100% guaranteed to hit the enemy, maybe 70%. 3 min recast time or something like that.
    Alternatively, it could also be like it was in some games: it reflects all spells, including buffs, and cures. Doing that could potentially allow it to have a semi long duration, with a similar recast, allowing you to keep it up for as long as you can survive without rebuffing/curing yourself. It would be both a buff, and debuff at once.
    (0)

Hmm, that would be interesting if "Reflect" was made into a chance stat like connserve MP. Like some new pieces of gear would come with "Reflect +x" which would increase the chance of reflect activating by x%. They could easily give out the spell then since it isn't 100%.

Though thinking about it, reflect may not exactly be the best choice since the spells that monsters cast tend to be spells they would be resistant too, or even healed by them.
    (0)

Character
    Cinc
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I Like The Idea of Reflect but Superson Makes A good argument about it healing mobs so maybe something like A Nullify trait, just so it's not to over powered i would say for enfeeb spells<JA> cast on rdm they could maybe link it to bar spells make them more useful. like you have Barpoison up jt kicks in when poison cast or job abbility used on you higher percentage not being poisoned base the % on Enfeeb skill. and just curious are we ever gonna see a Divine spell again was thinking reprisal would benifit rdm and not change any role we serve.

Maybe give us Drain And Aspir as future spell update rather sad we can learn bio3 but not 2 utility spells every other job with dark magic skill learns pre 40 kinda goes with making us sub whm or pld to skill up divine magic skill or for it to have any use at all
    (0)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersun View Post
    Hmm, that would be interesting if "Reflect" was made into a chance stat like connserve MP. Like some new pieces of gear would come with "Reflect +x" which would increase the chance of reflect activating by x%. They could easily give out the spell then since it isn't 100%.

Though thinking about it, reflect may not exactly be the best choice since the spells that monsters cast tend to be spells they would be resistant too, or even healed by them.
    To add, I don't think random proc would be a good idea for a spell like Reflect. It's pretty wasteful when you think about it.

That being said, I'm all for stances that separate or at least allow melee and mage roles to stand out on their own. The trick is going about it in a way that makes all the RDM camps happy.
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I'm all about Reflect for RDM. I'd love to see it implemented the way it was in FF Tactics, where the spell was reflected based on the relative position and direction of the target to the caster. I think it would be awesome to see Death reflected off the tank and onto the WHM if the tank was facing the WHM!

I'll make an educated guess and say that probably won't happen, so I'll vote for Rog's concept - make it reflect any and all spells cast on the target, including curative and buff spells. I wouldn't want the effect removed after a single spell if that were the case, though, so...

Additionally, I'd like to see it with a 1 second casting time and 10 second duration, so it has to be timed just right. Although, implementing it this way would also probably require that ever popular Doublecast trait, since more often than not I'd be casting some cycle spell when the chat log text that signified the need for Reflect came up.

To counter the caster absorption problem, they could reduce the damage of a reflected spell by 3/4 for one. Then open up the possibility of gear and merits enhancing/augmenting Reflect's potency. Also, I don't think it would be a bad thing to have a possibility of the mob absorbing the element. It would be something you had to judge before choosing to use Reflect, which would make it more interesting.

The other issue I see is coordinating Reflect with Stun. So many of us are used to stunning any major damage spell that you'd have to learn and coordinate amongst the team whether you actually wanted to stun something or try and reflect it. Again, I think this would make Reflect more interesting.

I'd really like to see the dev team take a stab at implementing some of these long-requested classic spells missing from FFXI. Reflect, Confuse, Ultima to name a few. The old "game breaking" and "doesn't fit into FFXI" concepts should be easily handled through various adjustments like potency, accuracy, casting time, MP cost, duration, etc. I never imagined an Esuna that would remove three debuffs, but its implementation in requiring a stance change and the debuffs to be on the WHM were creative ways to make it incredibly useful without it being brainlessly overpowered.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast