Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    This thread is proof that opinions can be wrong, because not everything is a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    Go back to your FPS mouthbreathers
    These kind of comments show you're a fascist. If that was what you were going for, then congratulations.

Aside from the fact that there are plenty of legitimate reasons to wanna skip cutscenes, saying that people should read the story or they're playing the wrong game is also factually wrong, because despite having a good and comprehensive story and lore, it's still the minor time investment in this game. If you compare the time you spend on any kind of story related content (quests, missions, cutscenes) to combat and grinding (EXP, skilling up combat/magic/craft, events), it's negligable for any kind of serious consideration.

Comparing this to other FF games is also pointless, because it's vastly different (and by design). The selling point for FFXI was indeed the story, because that's what people remember from FF games. However, the reselling point, which is the true reason 99% of people are playing this is combat, events, grinds, nothing at all related to the story.

Also, RPG are not about story (for those wiki-quoters among you, that's actually what wiki says too). It's about playing a certain role in a certain setting. It's about character development and relations. Sometimes it happens to be lore-related, but it doesn't have to be. Usually the story evolves from the characters that play in it, not from the surroundings and the environment outside of the characters, although they can be involved.

Fact is, RPG are centered on the player, not the story. Everyone is their own main story, and plays their character how they want to. It's like saying in RL you have to be interested in history, because that's what created the world we live in. It's a weak argument, because you impose your values, that the origin of our current state is somehow interesting or relevant to people, on others.

And for the record, I love the story and lore, and I never enter spammed a cutscene in my life, even at the expense of enter-spamming helpers that entered the Mammet fight without their WHM. But this point of view forcing everyone to adhere to your opinion is just fascism and I'd appreciate it very much if you keep this mouthbreathing bullshit to yourselves.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Fistandantilus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    These kind of comments show you're a fascist. If that was what you were going for, then congratulations.
    Why thank you I resemble that remark

Seriously though. I have zero problem with people who would like a skip option for sensible reasons. Such as if you've seen the thing b4, or you d/c in a cut scene or what have you. However that is like 10% of the people who want such a feature.

Player's who don't have the attention span to watch a cut scene the 1st time through are a disease that is polluting this game. They are a symptom of a larger issue in America where everything is instant gratification, and an alarmingly large % of the population never reads anymore. Yet people sit around, and scratch their heads wondering why nothing functions properly here nowadays. While I can't read Japanese, or French, German, etc. I have a sneaking suspicion their forums here don't have a thread for "Amagad!! plz gimmeh a skip CS option b4 my moron brain overloads from having to read a paragraph or two Dawg!?!? KthnkxBAI"

Beautiful cut scenes, and compelling storyline are the hallmark of the final fantasy series. SE has already bowed, and nerfed/labotomized too much of this game as it is. If you read the cut scenes as you've stated I have no idea why you would defend the mouthbreather's who wish to skip them.
    (0)

~Party Rock Anthem~

Character
    Eauijhkuu
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post

Beautiful cut scenes, and compelling storyline are the hallmark of the final fantasy series. SE has already bowed, and nerfed/labotomized too much of this game as it is. If you read the cut scenes as you've stated I have no idea why you would defend the mouthbreather's who wish to skip them.
    While True RPG is you roleplaying a role/character (D&D does pretty good at holding true to this kind of element) -- JRPGs are generally about story (sometimes mostly cliche) and massive...sweat-till-you-drop...unrealistic...grind.

FFXI is comparable to other FF's in the sense that for an MMORPG, Storyline emphasis is strong compared to any other MMO. Cutscenes are well put together as well as text, dialogue, and design. Great detail is put in to every FF storyline, because that's the general selling point (Aside from the music composition) of most Squaresoft/Square-enix titles, some chapters being more successful than others.

Those people who want to skip cutscenes can just spam through them as far as I'm concerned. The one thing that I did personally like about the pre-nerf difficulty of CoP was that if you were wearing one of the three Rings on completion of the missions, there was some sense of competency of having completed the entire set of missions that were supposed to be ungodly difficult -- Might I add the EXP loss during boss fights, the area level caps, the need to buy gear for each cap, etc?

If you have to sit through a few paragraphs of text just to get an uber set of gear (That very well outshines the reward that we gruelled through for painstaking hours), I think that trade off is pretty fair.
    (1)
    Leapfrog Jutsu.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5