Thread: BLM and Cure

Character
    Kingnobody
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 94

BLM and Cure

Hi, I was asked on the SMN forum to ask BLMs if you should cure yourself in a dire situation.

He probably wanted me to ask if you should cure yourself all the time, which I'm sure we all know the answer to that one, but I want to know, if you are dying and the WHM is too busy, would you cast Cure on yourself (Drain timer is down, so you can't rely on that) to save yourself, or would you be cussing out the WHM for not curing you when you die?
    (0)

Character
    Tarage
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I didn't say dire. Let me state my side as well then.

The argument we were having was over the concept of playing events like Einherjar and having the SMN cure the BLM. My claim was that curing BLMs causes my avatar to attack sleeping mobs. His counter argument was that I should never be that high on the hate list because they can do it themselves.

But still, don't cure the person who slept the mob. They can cure themselves. You shouldn't be on the hate list at all for all the slept mobs, nor should you be back-seat curing people who can cure themselves (BLMs have no excuse, they can Drain mobs being fought at the very least).
    I claim that asking a BLM to cure themselves that much, especially when trying to manage hate, keep mobs slept, and assist in DDing, is insane when a SMN who is only sitting with favor out can use their MP instead.
    (0)

Character
    Kingnobody
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 94
    Don't forget that you want SMN to main heal the BLMs so your situation would work. Having an avatar out, main heal the BLMs, and ask why SE won't get rid of the auto-attack when SMN is on top of the hate list.

I said that if the BLM needs to be cured, the BLM can cure themselves. Why a SMN should feel the need to cure the BLMs is beyond me.
    (0)

Character
    Tarage
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Because SMN is a SUPPORT JOB. Again, I'll list the things that make not curing inexcusable.

A. SMN has a huge MP pool. The largest MP pool in the game.
    B. When using an avatar under favor, especially Diabolos, MP is not an issue. I get something like 5 refresh per tic with my gear under Diabolos favor, so it is VERY hard for me to run out of MP.
    C. When using avatar's favor, the point is to NOT attack. If you attack, the favor buff resets.
    D. More often than not, the WHMs are focused on keeping the tanks and DD alive. BLM are the secondary goal.
    E. BLM have to constantly keep their enmity in check. If they don't, it's next to impossible to pull hate off of them in an emergency. Curing adds hate.

If you are in a party with BLM in an event, and you are being expected to give them refresh, not curing them is inexcusable and a sign of a bad SMN.

And in regards to auto attack, I said that my avatar shouldn't be attacking slept mobs unless I tell it to. That's a very simple AI fix.
    (0)

Character
    Kingnobody
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 94
    Way to derail a thread Tar, maybe you should have taken that to the other thread.

I'll do that for you.
    (0)

Character
    Tarage
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Derailed nothing.
    (0)

Character
    Quedari
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    As a BLM and a SMN, yes, I believe BLMs and SMNs shouldn't be above using cure on themselves or anyone else if the situation demands it. However, if I'm spamming sleeps, taking AoE/magic/melee damage because I am unable to get out of range, and trying to keep buffs on, then yes, I DO expect someone else to help me stay alive. Notice I said "help", because if I'm not doing anything to help myself stay alive, then I deserve to die. If I'm not buffing, not curing, not draining, just standing there nuking my heart out, and I pull hate and start dying or die, it's no one's fault but my own. I should have been managing my hate better.

I've been in that Einherjar situation. Spamming sleeps on resistant mobs, slept mobs waking up and bashing my face, and I was grateful for every cure I got regardless of who cast it. We did have problems sometimes with an avatar waking mobs up, but it wasn't really any different than noob DD's attacking the wrong mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage View Post
    I claim that asking a BLM to cure themselves that much, especially when trying to manage hate, keep mobs slept, and assist in DDing, is insane when a SMN who is only sitting with favor out can use their MP instead.
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up. If the SMN wants to escape cure assistance, they better be subbing COR and giving me evokers roll on top of that diabolos refresh. I'd rather have a few moments of interrupted diabolos refresh because the SMN had to put avatar up because it was attacking than die because the SMN was to selfish/lazy to put their avatar up for a little while.
    (3)
    Quedari: WHM BLM RDM SMN SCH BLU BRD RUN GEO
    Mykaell: BLM RDM WAR DNC WHM THF SCH RUN

Character
    Kingnobody
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 94
    Quote Originally Posted by Quedari View Post
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up. If the SMN wants to escape cure assistance, they better be subbing COR and giving me evokers roll on top of that diabolos refresh. I'd rather have a few moments of interrupted diabolos refresh because the SMN had to put avatar up because it was attacking than die because the SMN was to selfish/lazy to put their avatar up for a little while.
    Its not escaping cure assistance, its the fact that the SMN in question (Tarage) thinks that he should main heal the BLMs, and wants the avatars to lose the best thing that they have for soloists, the ability to automatically attack a mob when the summoner is on top of the hate list. He also stated that a BLM should never cure themselves, because that is the SMN's role.
    (0)

Character
    Sasaraixx
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    You two are still going at it? lol And on the BLM forum?

Tarage never said to get rid of auto attack all together. I think he just said he wanted a command to make the avatar "Stay." I have no idea if he said a BLM should never cure themselves. That's just silly.

I'm of the notion that while we do have dedicated healers in a party, there are times when you might have to pitch in and you should. I think Quedari summoned it up perfectly. Of course you are not there to main heal the BLMs but there may be times when you have to toss out a few cures to help them out. You may need to toss your WHM a heal sometimes because of a hate reset move. This game is so situational.
    (1)

Character
    Bubeeky
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 92
    as a white mage main, I think it's a good idea for anyone with cures and time to use them in an einherjar or similar situation cure themselves....we whms have a lot of other stuff to focus on in those places, so any curing assistance at all is a blessing
    (0)
    Love life, dare to dream, and LIVE ON PURPOSE!
    Also make sure to beat up any evil elvaans along the way, as we all know tarus are the ultimate race.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast