Character
    Flionheart
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99

When i start the keyboard is wierd

when i started final fanasty IX the keyboard was wierd and i couldnt use the wasd keys for moving my character which was wierd

is there any fixes or am i stuck with stupid controlls?
    (0)
    Last edited by Flionheart; 03-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Player
    Someone else accidently made a new thread instead of replying to your thread. But here's his reply which is what you want to do:

change the keyboard settings in the config menu. open the menu >> config >> Misc2 >> set keyboard type to compact.
    Compact keyboard setting uses WASD and is much easier to control and switch to type for.
    (0)

Character
    Harukusan
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    On a standard keyboard FFXI uses the number pad on the right side for movement:
    "8,4,6,2" - moves your character in any direction.
    "9,3" - zoom in and out.
    "7" - toggles auto-movement in whatever direction you're walking.
    "*" - to rest your HP and MP.
    "/" - to toggle walk/run.
    "5" - to toggle between 1st and 3rd person point of view.
    "+" - to select your chat box, press "Enter" to scroll up and read whatever chat you may have missed or want to recap on; press + again while you're selecting the chat box to view and cancel your buff icons.
    "-" - Opens the main menu on the right side of your screen.
    "0" - manually select between targets.
    "Num Lock" - enables/disables you from using the number pad to type in chat. Enabling this will cause you to lose control of movement while chatting.
    (0)
    Last edited by Harukusan; 03-15-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Character
    Rinzler
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 34
    I really love the normal keyboard setup, Movement and Menu naving can be done all by your right hand, even turning the camera and navigating menus is done by the thumb alone! then you got left hand to type or target or macros.

Then they fked it up in XIV lol

There is compact which was made incase people had laptops which i sometimes play on but i find it very difficult. though if you got used to it be just as good as any other way if you know how to play that way.
    (0)

Player
    When you first start up press - and the main menu will show up, move the menu to the right with the -> key on your keyboard and go to config... select keyboard and change to compact... Now its easier and much better for control maneuvering if you ask me. Standard default keyboard setup isn't as good as compact if you ask me but everyone has their own play style.
    (0)

San d'Oria / Valefor. Been playing on and off since 2004
    Character
    Blackone
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 39
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    When you first start up press - and the main menu will show up, move the menu to the right with the -> key on your keyboard and go to config... select keyboard and change to compact... Now its easier and much better for control maneuvering if you ask me. Standard default keyboard setup isn't as good as compact if you ask me but everyone has their own play style.
    What they said, though I have noticed that on the first time or so you may need to hold your Ctrl Key as you press the "-" key to open then menu. Also once you highlight the compact option, don't forget to press enter to change the option rather then just back out thinking that it'll change itself.
    (0)

Character
    Jadelove
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I personally changed my controls from WASD to ESDF. Being left handed, it's easier to use these buttons w/o having to use my pinky which is not as used or as flexible as my other fingers, lol...
    (0)