Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    So, I was sitting on the john pondering all the recent arguments here, on Alla, and so on, when the thought of a possible new trait hit me.

Attrition: Reduces the effects of debilitating magic received based on currently active enhancement magic.

I'd considered making Composure active a requirement, sort of like how WHMs can't get Enlight with Misery up, but that's not really the focus. Anyway, was thinking up to a possible 80% reduction in duration and potency for any enfeebles we're inflicted with. Protect, Shell, Haste, Refresh, Regen, Stoneskin, Phalanx, Aquaveil, Enspell, Spikes, Gain, Barelement, Barstatus, and Blink give us 14 possible spells we can have active on ourselves at any given moment. That could be 5.7% per buff, but I'm thinking that kind of low for starters and overall promoting a bit of high maintenance to keep this effect at its higher levels. Instead, I'm thinking more like 15/13/11/9/7/5/5/5/5/5 where 10 buffs would give you the 80%, 5 would be 55%, and so on. Thus, a 20% slow that lasts 3 minutes would instead be 4% for 36s.

"But if you're in the back you should never get hit! Herpderp!" Well, in the FFXI I play, some mobs have TP moves greater than 20 yalms, a BLM can pull hate quite suddenly and mess up positioning, or with mobs today being hate reset happy, among other quirks, accidents happen. When your backline gets slept/petrified/muted/stunned/etc and nobody up front can help, you might be looking at a nice chunk of time of just watching your party slowly fall apart. Enter the more quickly recovered RDM to help keep things on the up.

Now, if we wanted to be greedy and apply this to recent talk on auras, this defensive mechanism could possibly be passed on to party members within 5 yalms of the RDM, receiving the benefits the RDM themselves would even if that particular player has fewer buffs active. So, in some cases, the WHM could just focus on primary status cures while others will possibly have worn or be close to by the time they throw out 2-3 singles.

Anyway, only magic buffs could trigger this effect, so no songs, rolls, ninjutsu, or other sources contributing. Dispel-happy mobs would require some consideration on how you act. Not sure how this would handle Doom, but I'm thinking it'd add to the timer so 80% would give you 18 clicks to get it removed instead of 10. Could even make it easier to remove, but whatever.

/inb4omgoverpowered
    (0)

Not a bad idea.

My idea was just giving Rdms T2 Bar Spells that would actually give us enough resistance to actually prevent a status effect from anything higher then an EP. I mean toss in another 100 resistance and we should be able to resist most of those status effects.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriha View Post
    So, I was sitting on the john pondering all the recent arguments here, on Alla, and so on, when the thought of a possible new trait hit me.

Attrition: Reduces the effects of debilitating magic received based on currently active enhancement magic.

I'd considered making Composure active a requirement, sort of like how WHMs can't get Enlight with Misery up, but that's not really the focus. Anyway, was thinking up to a possible 80% reduction in duration and potency for any enfeebles we're inflicted with. Protect, Shell, Haste, Refresh, Regen, Stoneskin, Phalanx, Aquaveil, Enspell, Spikes, Gain, Barelement, Barstatus, and Blink give us 14 possible spells we can have active on ourselves at any given moment. That could be 5.7% per buff, but I'm thinking that kind of low for starters and overall promoting a bit of high maintenance to keep this effect at its higher levels. Instead, I'm thinking more like 15/13/11/9/7/5/5/5/5/5 where 10 buffs would give you the 80%, 5 would be 55%, and so on. Thus, a 20% slow that lasts 3 minutes would instead be 4% for 36s.

"But if you're in the back you should never get hit! Herpderp!" Well, in the FFXI I play, some mobs have TP moves greater than 20 yalms, a BLM can pull hate quite suddenly and mess up positioning, or with mobs today being hate reset happy, among other quirks, accidents happen. When your backline gets slept/petrified/muted/stunned/etc and nobody up front can help, you might be looking at a nice chunk of time of just watching your party slowly fall apart. Enter the more quickly recovered RDM to help keep things on the up.

Now, if we wanted to be greedy and apply this to recent talk on auras, this defensive mechanism could possibly be passed on to party members within 5 yalms of the RDM, receiving the benefits the RDM themselves would even if that particular player has fewer buffs active. So, in some cases, the WHM could just focus on primary status cures while others will possibly have worn or be close to by the time they throw out 2-3 singles.
    You do realize this wouldn't change anything right? It'd just be another safety net for backline mages.

Don't get me wrong, it's a neat idea and I like it, but it's not going to magically make the playerbase willing to let you up front.
    (0)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9