Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mage melee gear

Character
    Bubeeky
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 92
    Just throwin' my two cents in here too...currently, a whm using no accessories can get 22% haste (blessed +1 hands/feet/legs, goliard saio, walahra turban) add a swift belt or something in there and I believe that's past the cap (correct me if that's incorrect ) having said that, the proposed gear isn't too far fetched
    (0)
    Last edited by Bubeeky; 08-18-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    Love life, dare to dream, and LIVE ON PURPOSE!
    Also make sure to beat up any evil elvaans along the way, as we all know tarus are the ultimate race.

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    White Mage can currently get 25% haste (1% away from ensuring cap) without any belts involved, or 26% if weapon selection is something you can ignore (although if capping haste over all else except a belt is important, /DRG would like to have a word with you).

I definitely think a melee mage set would be very nice, and I don't see what would be wrong with giving Red Mage (enspells, Sword/Dagger focus), White Mage (every job in this game can do damage) or Summoner (skillchaining off pets should be emphasized) more melee tools.

Also, I noticed the jobs you listed, WHM/RDM/BLM/SMN/SCH are missing two other jobs usually included in mage gear lists, BRD and PUP. You've given an explanation for PUP, so what's your reasoning for BRD?
    (0)

BRD already having access to loads of DD gear :X

Byakko's Haidate, Dusk/+1 gear, stuff like that BRD is on. BRD even has things like Atheling Mantle. They're pretty well covered in DD Armor.

(Then again RDM is on Dusk and a lot of DD Gear?)

But hey, they could be added XD
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    That's sortof what I figured you'd say. Red Mage is also on the Atheling Mantle.

You should read the post in the White Mage forums about the Hardlight Set if you haven't already. It was an entertaining enough read that I finally signed up for this forum in the first place.
    (0)

Not to sound like a broken record, but SMN is the job most in need of special melee gear. It isn't that hard to equip whatever melee gear is available on RDM or WHM and such, since you lose nothing. On SMN on the other hand you'll lose perpetuation reduction.

Unless of course, you make a really smart cheat macro to swap in -perp gear every 3 seconds on the tick of MP drain.
    (0)

Character
    Razushu
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamasala View Post
    Not to sound like a broken record, but SMN is the job most in need of special melee gear. It isn't that hard to equip whatever melee gear is available on RDM or WHM and such, since you lose nothing. On SMN on the other hand you'll lose perpetuation reduction.

Unless of course, you make a really smart cheat macro to swap in -perp gear every 3 seconds on the tick of MP drain.
    Every mage wanting to play the melee loses the ability to fulltime more beneficial gear, SMN loses it's prep/refresh set, but thats not special by any means. BLM, SCH, WHM, and RDM lose out on their refresh gear if the want to equip melee gear these jobs can equip 6~7 refresh in gear.
    (0)
    Last edited by Razushu; 08-24-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Summoner [suhm-uhn-er]

1. Mystics who conjure avatars to fight by their sides, then sit back and enjoy the show while paying close attention to their MP as their minions deliver devastating blows to adversaries and provide aid to allies.
    2. Not a melee

Character
    Surealistic
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    long answer, level a, gasp, real mele job

short answer, no
    (0)
    In a world of milk and honey, there is no cake

Quote Originally Posted by Sureal View Post
    long answer, level a, gasp, real mele job

short answer, no
    I understand you may not like the idea of such things, But i ask you to Please refrain from unproductive comments. Your opinion is lovely but simply saying "no" and telling us to level Melee jobs is not productive and is Rude, which in itself is against the rules of this website.

Thank you for understanding Sur.
    (1)

Character
    Surealistic
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    im sorry, but calling my opinion on your wanting to turn a job into something it isnt is rude, this game is built on balance (i know there is unbalance in some jobs, but that is being worked on), but for you to want to turn a whm into a mele job is very unbalanced, i know you may not like it, but it is what it is, if you want to mele, then lvl a mele job, if you want to mage it up then lvl a mage job, if you start giving mages mele skills, abilities and gear then you start to pigeon hole the game and things will start to go back to the way it used to be of having a set job setup for parties, and if you dont fit into that set you might as well log off

balance is the name of the game, if you dont like it, dont play, but making mages more mele like starts a slippery slope of unbalanced gameplay

is that more productive? is that more within the rules?
    (0)
    In a world of milk and honey, there is no cake

Quote Originally Posted by Sureal View Post
    im sorry, but calling my opinion on your wanting to turn a job into something it isnt is
    rude,
    Of course its not. The way you said it was rude. Clearly you can see that. The "Gasp" part and the sarcasm made is what made it rude. Not the part of voicing your opinion.

this game is built on balance (i know there is unbalance in some jobs, but that is being worked on), but for you to want to turn a whm into a mele job is very unbalanced
    If you had taken even the slightest bit of effort to read the thread, you would clearly and without fail see I've mentioned multiple times this armor would be expressely for fun, and not server as a bridge to make Mages melee. However, My educated guess is you read the thread title, and decided to make a response because of it.

Otherwise you could not possibly have gotten such a misconception from me.

i know you may not like it, but it is what it is, if you want to mele, then lvl a mele job, if you want to mage it up then lvl a mage job
    I have 13 jobs at level 90, a slew of DD, Support, and Healing. I know all well how to use the job change command. this was not the point of this thread, however. it was never about making Mages into pure melee.

if you start giving mages mele skills
    No ones asking to improve Mage's melee skills (I.E Staff skill, etc) in this thread.

abilities
    No one is asking for new abilities here either (Well, Not me, I can't say for certain every other persons opinion)

and gear
    A lot of those jobs already have melee gear. WHM has the Blessed set, which is oozing with haste. theres Zelus tiara, Goliard Saio, some of Nashira gear for certain jobs... Obvious none of those were designed with melee in mind but they all offer the most important melee stat, Haste. Then theres Add-on Gear which can be specialized for melee (most of its useless now anyway)

then you start to pigeon hole the game and things will start to go back to the way it used to be of having a set job setup for parties, and if you dont fit into that set you might as well log off
    ? I understand most of your concerns up to this point, But how is a set level 95+ Armor designed for side-activities or for mages to, forgive my words, "Dick around in" going to effect party set ups at any level in any way?

This is your only point that alludes me.

balance is the name of the game, if you dont like it, dont play, but making mages more mele like starts a slippery slope of unbalanced gameplay
    My my my, My good Sureal, I explained this above but i will reiterate. We do not ask for Adjustments to make mages more melee, This idea, or at least, my idea on page 1, Was simply to give mages a set of "Melee" armor, 1 simple set of melee gear, strong enough to have some fun with, but not nearly potent enough to give Mages some magical Melee slot in a party.

It would be for all intents and purpose, a macro armor people might use when say, Building pearl light with friends, or doing old-dynamis content for lulz.

is that more productive? is that more within the rules?
    slightly this one particular comment right here makes it sound incredibly sarcastic and insincere.

Edit: And this is from literally my Second (or third?) Post on the very first page of this thread:

I personally agree making Mages as strong as Melee's in the Physical department would be rather stupid.

however, If you're implying thats what this would do, I don't think we're playing the same game if you think a few pieces of Melee gear is going to make a Mage do as much damage as a good DD.

Even the armor i described above, Melee-Mage would still be gimp. This set (and i hope what the OP was describing!) would be nothing more than solo armor, or armor for messin' around. Like a small side-grade set most people wouldn't carry, but some would for fun.
    Edit2: And this number from Page 3

I do believe some people think Melee is a solution to a mage problem, and thats problematic, i agree!

However i do think a "shits and giggles" kind of Melee-Mage armor would be fun... If only for entertainment value. I mean, Fun in a video game, Far-fetched these days :P but it could happen
    Also my own words. So as you can see, I agree Melee is not the solution to mage, and making mages into melee is not the solution, My intent with this armor was simply as stated above, a side-grade "Shits and giggles" armor set for solo play or messing around with friends. Since SE already expressed they wanted armor from 91-99 to be more or less macro/side-grades to Empyrean, i figured time spent making a set like this could go a long way into making a few people happy for a short time.

So long as it didn't adversely effect their over all production schedule.

So for the most part i agree with what you're saying, however its your methods i disagree with. Clearly you can see that now though?
    (0)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 08-26-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast