Thread: Monk Meriting

Character
    Alberi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Monk Meriting

Would love some suggestions for how to properly merit a Monk. Any help/builds would be appreciated.
    (0)

Character
    Lynchilles
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Mine:

5/5 Counter
    5/5 Kick Attacks
    5/5 Penance
    4/5 Invigorate
    1/5 Formless Strikes

Formless strikes is debateable I guess. I have 1/5 in it for those rare occasions where it actually helps (i.e. Dynamis Paladin mobs, WoE, etc.). Otherwise, I would probably have 5/5 Invigorate.
    (1)

Character
    Cero
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I agree with Lynch's set up. I do find occasional uses for Formless Strikes, it's certainly worth meriting. I've been questioning Invigorate merits lately though. I guess it's because I don't ever solo on Monk. Mantra seems like it might be cool to have.
    (0)

Well with some of the stupid high damage some mobs TP moves do, Mantra might actually have some validity compared to what it used too. I doubt I would give up my invigorate merits though 10hp a tic regen up to 400hp has saved my bacon more than a few times in a party or solo. And It's nice to have if nothing else to help stave off potent DoT spells.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Agreeing with the first 2 replies.

Mantra is for MPK'ing your party in undead aggro areas.
    (3)

My MNK merits are just a shy bit short of being done, but here's what I got so far:

Group 1
    Counter Rate: 5/5
    Kick Attacks Rate: 5/5

Group 2
    Formless Strikes: 2/5
    Invigorate: 1/5
    Penance: 3/5

Still have four more merits to throw in. Planning to cap out Penance and whatever's left into Invigorate. I *may* consider dropping Formless Strikes down to one. I don't use it often, but when I do use it, it's because of how useful it is for a situation. I still have a laugh sometimes about my San d'Oria 9-2 battle, decided to Hundred Fists and the big guy used Invincible right after, so I threw up Formless Strikes and yelled on Ventrilo "Yeah! How do you like that you bastard!?" My LS at the time got a laugh out of that.

But it is useful for those times I have to fight an elemental for some reason, or dealing with mobs with blunt immunity. I mean, I now have the piercing and slashing H2H weapons, but there are those couple mission mobs that are immune to all but magic.

Okay, I'm done babbling on that point.

I've always suggested this, and while the need for it is much less common now (I used it mostly when CoP was still level capped.), if you put a single merit into H2H skill, you can get Raging Fists at 40 instead of 41. I suggest that to anyone who has native H2H skill, even if it's not their best skill.
    (0)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Paksenarrion View Post
    I've always suggested this, and while the need for it is much less common now (I used it mostly when CoP was still level capped.), if you put a single merit into H2H skill, you can get Raging Fists at 40 instead of 41. I suggest that to anyone who has native H2H skill, even if it's not their best skill.
    h2h skill merit is the best skill merit you can get because it's the only one who directly affect base dmg.
    (0)

Character
    Bloodkraft
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 95
    what about attribute merits?

I went 8/8 on str, others?
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodkraft View Post
    what about attribute merits?

I went 8/8 on str, others?
    only correct answer
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    only correct answer
    This. My purely WHM alt will be meriting STR.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast