Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Beyond Black Belt

NOTE: I am not implying there's anything wrong with black belt as it stands now. To my knowledge, it's still the best item a MNK can wear in that slot. This is just a thought thread. I am also not meaning to "attack" those without one, because I know it is one of the more irritating items to acquire. I apologize if you feel I am.

So with the upcoming increase to 95, followed by the last increase to 99, let's discuss an item that's been a MNK's best friend since Rise of the Zilart: The Black Belt.

With gear scaling in methods that we would've never imagined back at 75 cap, the trusty black belt has stayed at our side. Where we've replaced every other slot, the black belt remains steadfast in the waist slot.

One could almost consider it a special type of equipment, similar to the relic, mythic, or empyrean weapons.

My fear is that an item that is as difficult to acquire as it is will become outdated within the next two level cap raises. I know there are other items out there that will make people tell me to shut my mouth, but like I said, I consider it to be a form of relic weapons or the like.

So what will happen between now and 95 and 99? Will black belt still reign supreme? Will it be left to gather dust in our mog houses?

Why not a magian trial to upgrade it?

I'm not 100% familiar with martial arts belt levels, but black belt is the highest, to my knowledge and please correct me if I'm wrong. To keep with the MNK's consistency, I think that upgrading the black belt would be better than getting a different belt.

I know I don't always come up with the best ideas, and this one's kinda lacking in details. I just think that black belt should be upgradeable, like the abjuration armor is, except without Synergy because quit trying to shoehorn Synergy into the game please.
    (5)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Until other jobs that have a belt that even comes close to black belt, there's no reason to change it, really.
    (3)

Agreed, I highly doubt they'll issue another belt that even comes close to the same amount of haste BB does. I mean some upgrades would be nice even if its was little boosts like +1 or +2 STR per trial or something that enhances martial arts, but I doubt there would be much they could do to improve this already kick ass belt.
    (1)

I think I mentioned that I felt that black belt was overpowered at 75 cap and still is at 90, but this is for the event that SE thinks something should be done in the future if other jobs get close to the power of it. Was just something I pondered (And one of the many questions I kept asking friends when I was planning to return to the game, "is there anything better than black belt yet?").
    (0)

Nope, the highest haste belt out there caps at 7%, the next best thing under the BB is still AV's belt.
    (0)
    Last edited by Swords; 07-14-2011 at 05:36 AM.

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    but this is for the event that SE thinks something should be done in the future if other jobs get close to the power of it.
    I don't see that happening any time soon.

15 levels later, and they're still only 1% haste over their previous belt limitation. They haven't even caught up to brown belt yet.

Unless you're also calling brown belt close to black belt @.@
    (0)

Character
    Rearden
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Wasn't there a post saying they were looking into the possibility of another quest/upgrade to Black Belt in the future? I think it's fine. It's a great piece as is and I couldn't imagine what they'd be looking into to augment what it already provides.
    (0)

I think they mentioned something along the lines of ToM or Synergy Augments for BB and a number of other items like Salvage gear, and certain items that drop off Kings. This is SE though and vision does not always work out with them.

Oh lord, can you imagine what they would do if they made the BB augmentable, I bet the ingredients would be some absurd requirement like one of the BB items (Similar to how scraps and tatters work for Sky and Abj. gear).
    (0)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Swords View Post
    Agreed, I highly doubt they'll issue another belt that even comes close to the same amount of haste BB does. I mean some upgrades would be nice even if its was little boosts like +1 or +2 STR per trial or something that enhances martial arts, but I doubt there would be much they could do to improve this already kick ass belt.
    don't want enhance martial arts on BB+1, it's a nerf in pt with brd (total DR cap reached= you only get a storeTP- effect)
    (0)

Character
    Covenant
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    Why does haste have to be touched? I don't have a BB nor know the stats so will throw out random alternative buffs.. BB plus kicks. BB plus counter. BB plus dodge. BB plus duration increase on monk's /JA. See where I'm going with this?

As an aside, in Martial Arts, Tae Kwon Do in particular. There's something called a "Dan". And usually goes from 1st Dan/BlackBelt, 2nd Dan/Instructor, 3rd~5th Dan are considered Masters, and 5th~9th Dan/ grandmasters. Traditionally, no American could receive a Dan higher than 5th Dan without first going to Korea and training/paying with the grandmasters. Generally, no American masters exist higher than 5th, though nowadays that racist behavior has been overturned.

As most "True" martial artist will tell you, you dont need ANY belt. Martial Arts in it's purest form is self-defense. To be a "master" one simply needs to master one opponent, ones environment, and one's self.
    (5)
    Last edited by Covenant; 07-19-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast