Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Rayix
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

It's all about perspective

Allow me to shed some light. While things have been pointing in the right direction, I'd like to give more details on the matter.

Penta-spam was not a bug, it was a design flaw. FFXI's gone through a magnitude of changes over the years, and this was one of the earlier ones. Each hit in a multi-hit weapon skill would give normal TP, so provided all hits landed, 13 TP * 5 hits would yield about 65 TP return from Penta. The same can be used to explain Asuran: 8 hits * 20 TP/hit = 160 TP if all 8 connected. Add to that, you had jumps & meditate, and could get around long delay weapons by disengaging then re-engaging the mob, prompting a hit before it should be ready. There was no re-engage delay back in those days, so all the DDs would be constantly flipping in & out of battle mode to get around their delays.

The call wyvern 2-hour was later deemed a mistake by SE, tho I never considered it to be one, having developed a great respect for my wyvern. Dragoon has never relied on its wyvern for damage output. It's an added bonus, but nothing to rely on. The wyvern's value comes /mage, which wasn't mainstream until later, but that's a story for another time.

Dragoon was the first Bandwagon DD job, leveled by the masses that go from job to job, based on which has the mechanics advantage. This group has traveled through most jobs over the course of vana'diel's history, instead of devoting itself to specific jobs they enjoy. Dragoon was also the first job to fall from grace when SE decided to change the TP returns.

What brought about the 'loldrg' title is the common view that when we lost the power of penta-spam, it made us inferior to the other jobs. A number of the early dragoons quit at this time, selling their accounts to RMTs, which contributed to why a fair amount of the early gilsellers were dragoons.

Just a few other examples of jobs that've gone through this phase of being popular: Rng, Blm, Nin, Mnk, War, Sam, along with the support jobs like Brd, Rdm, Whm, & Pld.

Now some might say that Dragoon was "gimp" after the TP-nerf, but really, I prefer to think that it made the job mortal. You had to put the work into it for it to be good. I personally leveled Dragoon at this time, and had to grow up with the loldrg mantra everywhere I went. I worked hard at being good though, and did my best to prove that it was still a worthwhile job to have around.

And while I'm on the topic of loldrg history, let's not forget loldrg², lolmelano. Loldrg is a tease, lolmelano is an insult. Melano was an Asuran, incredibly loud and boisterous. He was such a noise-maker, especially on forums (such as KillingIfrit), that every server knew of him, and thus the title was born. Among these posts & 'debates', for an example, was his argument that Orichalcum Lance was better than Mezraq.

Loldrg is typically used to tease someone about playing Drg. Lolmelano is used to say that someone is terrible at the job, typically guilty of subbing nin or dnc, wearing completely inappropriate gear in battle (outside of the newbie levels), or suggesting completely absurd ideas.

/nin & /dnc are worthless in the face of /mage. If the situation is ever so bad that you HAVE to /nin on Drg to survive meleeing, then you should be on another job, or at the very least /sam & standing outside of AoE, running in to WS. Standing back & playing support drg/whm is also a valid option.

This concludes your Dragoon-history lesson, brought to you by Ryx.
    (3)

Player
    And while I'm on the topic of loldrg history, let's not forget loldrg², lolmelano. Loldrg is a tease, lolmelano is an insult. Melano was an Asuran, incredibly loud and boisterous. He was such a noise-maker, especially on forums (such as KillingIfrit), that every server knew of him, and thus the title was born. Among these posts & 'debates', for an example, was his argument that Orichalcum Lance was better than Mezraq.
    Oh God, nostalgia rush lol.
    I miss when Jump was affected by Ranged Accuracy, fun times ._.
    (2)
    Last edited by Sotek; 07-16-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Character
    Golovko
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Geebee View Post
    For those that have seen this ingame (who hasent)

LOL DRG started after SE took out the TP gain from Penta thrust weapon skill use on DRG (about 7+ years ago i think), before the removal of this DRG used to gain 60+ TP from penta thrust use which pretty much made them one of the most effective DD's in game.

Why the Hell are you making a thread about this? No one wants to be reminded of when the community acted like gigantic assholes.
    (0)

Character
    Kurdtray
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldbrand View Post
    Why the Hell are you making a thread about this? No one wants to be reminded of when the community acted like gigantic assholes.
    They don't now?
    (2)

Character
    Golovko
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Oh well, penta spam is back in full force and actually worse thanks to all the STP and conserve tp we have now. Except with Drakesbane unless the WS rebalancing shakes things up. So whatever.
    (0)

Character
    Numpty
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryx View Post
    What brought about the 'loldrg' title is the common view that when we lost the power of penta-spam, it made us inferior to the other jobs. A number of the early dragoons quit at this time, selling their accounts to RMTs, which contributed to why a fair amount of the early gilsellers were dragoons.
    yeah I remember those days all to well, my friend actually sold his DRG just like you said because of exactly that reason, (such a sad day) I remember him tellling me that he never felt to frustrated after the "nerf" and that he will never play FFXI again and he never did
    (0)
    90's x 10

BST is AWLAYS best! If you are a BST, I SALUTE YOU

-Eldelphia - THIS SPELLING MISTAKE WILL STAY HERE JUST FOR YOU AWLAYS lmfao!!take that stick out your arse LOL

Character
    Valonquar
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    My recollection was mostly that people were gaga over the WS damage DRK did in comparison at the time. Never mind that it took them 3 to 4 times longer to build the TP as they missed constantly. I remember PTs where my wyvern alone outdamaged other DDs in XP pts.

I believe the game was out in NA for about 2 to 3 months before the TP nerf hit. I remember it was pretty much RIGHT after I earned the WS.

I do recall it being neigh impossible to get a PT invite on DRG back in the day.
    (0)

lol<insertjob> really is just a term for the elitist bandwagoners Ryx was talking about.

There a group of people with no job loyalty who just play whats strong at the time.

Truthfully its a LARGE GROUP. It represents most of the FF community.

As rules change balance shifts and one job will always be slightly on top.

These fickle bandwagoners instantly switch to wichever job has the most power for the least amount of effort.

Jobs that are deemed not worthy of their attention and jobs that they have moved on from get laughed at and recieve the lolTitle.

If you are offended by this groups behavior, well theres not much for it.
    There is a small population of loyalists who believe in fighting to excel at your chosen job. If you are one of these people, the best thing for you to do is keep trying. Much can be accomplished through stubbornness. Playing bst and drg i had many LS leaders try to tell me my jobs were worthless. I made them take me anyway. And i made myself valuable to the runs. By the time those shells had ended they did not regret my job. So u can through dedication prove yourself to these shallow job hoppers. And something to look forward too, eventually the tide will shift and your job will rock again. When this happens, they will flood in like zombies to raise the prices of your gear and try to tell you how to play "YOUR" job, BUT when this happens you will most likely be one of the best players of a popular job, and thats kinda nice.

And if taking the positive approach doesnt work for you, then u can always be a jerk about it.
    If the war says "loldrg doesnt even have a good emp ws ahaha"
    tell him "well considering u cant take a #$%@ without a white mage to wipe your @#&, i think im ok with being a drg.
    because the truth is a war does a lot of dmg but it cant do anything without life support. So you cant even look at war in terms of 1 job dps... because it is war + whm and i know 2 skilled drg/rdm's would outdamage the hell out of war/sam + whm/rdm."

And if that doesnt work you can always just burn them with fire.
    (0)

Character
    Altrage
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 90
    lol drg stems from a plethora of things:

1) TP nerf to Multi-hit/high delay weapons (this included penta)
    2) horrible accuracy problem with DRG at the later levels when at lower levels it was the DD king
    3) quickly dying wyvern and not having a 2hr that could save the party in case of emergency (when Call Wyvern was 2hr)
    4) lack of a decent light/dark closing ws due to lolWheeling Thrust
    5) uneducated player base once DRG received many buffs to fix the above
    (1)

Player
    Don't forget that we couldn't wear sky gear and our endgame armor included crap like Wyvern Helm, Assault Jerkin, Tiger Ledelsens, Taresque Mitts. We also had nothing to put in our ammo slot while other jobs could use xbows for acid bolts or bomb cores.
    (2)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast