Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargent View Post
    With Horn+2, Moonshade, Stearc and capped Perp, you should be getting +5/tick with Garuda, Shiva etc out.
    That is the list that needed to be posted. Put a big "WARNING: needs a minimum of one magian staff to work" on that please.

For Myrkr + TP earring, to match +5/tick, a melee SMN needs to generate:

300% TP / ((1800MP * 60%) / (+5/tick * 20 ticks)) = 28% TP per minute.

The TP earring generates 20% TP per minute, so a melee SMN only needs to successfully hit once per minute to surpass magian staves build. A SMN/SAM generates the equivalent of +7/tick idle.
    (0)

Character
    Razushu
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    That is the list that needed to be posted. Put a big "WARNING: needs a minimum of one magian staff to work" on that please.

For Myrkr + TP earring, to match +5/tick, a melee SMN needs to generate:

300% TP / ((1800MP * 60%) / (+5/tick * 20 ticks)) = 28% TP per minute.

The TP earring generates 20% TP per minute, so a melee SMN only needs to successfully hit once per minute to surpass magian staves build. A SMN/SAM generates the equivalent of +7/tick idle.
    By that logic yours will need a needs Hvergelmir, but then not everyone needs the obvious pointed out. Although Nash gages, Caller's doublet & pigaches +2 with a Fay crozier will is another way to go rather than +1s(which most have/are getting anyway) and TotM staves.

Dude the MP efficence argument is dead in the water, No style of SMN is hurting for MP. All you're really saying here is "I have more "more MP than I could ever use" than you", EVERYONE with any way decent gear has more MP than they can spend as it is.

Back to topic.

A great trick for completing trials etc. is the solo mini astral burn. With DG and a regen atma + a MAB atma it's easy to pull and hold 10+ mobs and burn them down, usually takes less than 5 minutes from start to finish and is great for tearing a sizable chunk out of a trial if you find grinding on them too boring or are trying to squeeze some kills in before an event
    (0)

Summoner [suhm-uhn-er]

1. Mystics who conjure avatars to fight by their sides, then sit back and enjoy the show while paying close attention to their MP as their minions deliver devastating blows to adversaries and provide aid to allies.
    2. Not a melee

Player
    This isn't the thread either. Move along, Raz.
    (0)

Character
    Razushu
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Not so much a trick, but still a way to make SMN useful to seal runs. I've been on one or two as SMN where instead of fighting the NM(The proc jobs handled this) I farmed the pops continously leading to 0 downtime in the run for farming warping to AH to buy pops.
    (0)

Summoner [suhm-uhn-er]

1. Mystics who conjure avatars to fight by their sides, then sit back and enjoy the show while paying close attention to their MP as their minions deliver devastating blows to adversaries and provide aid to allies.
    2. Not a melee

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Yes, that Perp set required a Magain staff. without any staff, I would still be gaining 1mp/tick with a normal avatar out. My perp set (for Garuda) is as follows:
    Magian+2/Vox Grip/H.Bomb
    Caller's Horn+2/Caller's Pendant/Aug'd Ruby Earring/Moonshade
    Caller's Doublet +2/Caller's Bracers +2/Evoker's Ring/Fervor Ring
    Astute Cape/Caller's Sash/Stearc Subligar/Caller's Pigaches +2
    Note: Nashira Gages aren't needed since I'm capping Perp anyway.

Now, despite the fact that I don't pay anywhere near enough attention to those forums, I'll add my 2 cents on the Hvergelmir discussion. Yes, I have one.
    With a decent Myrkr build outside Abyssea, I'll gain around 400 mp from Myrkr. In a situation where it is feasible to melee, it is by far more MP efficient then Magians staves, since my MP pool won't drop below 1000, even if I buff with my avatar as well. However, of course most situations (say Endgame or kited kills) it would be unfeasible to melee. With a Magian staff and the above set, my MP efficiency is decent, however I would eventually run out of MP, even with Refresh and Convert.
    (0)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Character
    Kingnobody
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 94
    There's nothing extreme about what I do. Take away the better gear, the faster damage, the better mp recovery, and the desire to be useful for more than a few select battles, and my SMN looks

just

yours.
    The mp recovery is the only thing good about your set, but then again, you need the mp recovery.

Hows that 15 mp per tick perp cost handling? Sucks that you are weakened 75% of the time because you don't know when to duck. Also, you have the def of a naked BLM, so if you are saying you are doing as much damage as an Ukon WAR, you must be tanking like one too, right?
    (1)

Character
    Tedra
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90
    Wow keep the tips coming. One thing I found out is if I am attempting a bp in a crowd (like say campaign) If I pull back I can kinda avoid that glitch where the bp does not go off but the timer resets. I appreciate the conversation about -prep ect but its getting to be overkill. I have made a thread for the -prep stuff please carry your argument on over there.
    (0)
    Last edited by Neonii; 07-14-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargent View Post
    With a decent Myrkr build outside Abyssea, I'll gain around 400 mp from Myrkr.
    Testing suggests that 300% Aftermath is superior to 100% Aftermath. Since nothing is lost by waiting, you should only use the WS at 300%, or when you need to remove status effects. I get about 1080 MP outside of Abyssea, and 1500+ inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Korpg View Post
    The mp recovery is the only thing good about your set
    What is that refresh build? Sure looks like "mp recovery only" to me. What can you POSSIBLY do with that refresh gearset that I, having 13 gear slots free, can not manage?

BTW, what idiot is weakened 75% of the time? Your lie grows every time you post.
    (0)

Character
    Kingnobody
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 94
    What is that refresh build? Sure looks like "mp recovery only" to me. What can you POSSIBLY do with that refresh gearset that I, having 13 gear slots free, can not manage?
    How can you have any refresh going when you are A) geared up for melee and B) have an avatar out?

You got Auto-Refresh II, but that doesn't do crap at all. Your only -perp gear is Nash hands, and only because it has haste+ on it too. How can you have 13 gear slots free if you are geared completely to be a melee-mage?
    BTW, what idiot is weakened 75% of the time?
    You are, apparently. Not only have you stated that you have constantly taken hate away from your avatar, but you also do about as much damage as an Ukon WAR, which an Ukon WAR can hold hate the best in this game. According to you (and your lies) you have the hate of an Ukon WAR, so you always 100% tank as a melee-mage. This is your information, not mine, that I am referencing. You have the defense of a sponge (and the trait of one too) so I'm wondering what else you are going to say about your "uber SMN."

Have you discovered cheese toast yet?
    (0)

Player
    Oh you poor forum troll, Korpg. Your reading is affecting your writing.

I wear haste gear because I can. When I melee, I am getting well over 500MP / minute because I generate a LOT of TP. The "debate" numbers I provided above are for a guy with Myrkr sitting around DOING NOTHING. That's really the only way to compare myself to a SMN that sits around DOING NOTHING.

Newsflash, Korpg. Melee SMN can sit around in perp gear too. That's what I switch to in between fights. It's "idle" gear, which means DOING NOTHING gear.

Again, just speaking down to you because that's where you chose to stand.
    (0)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast