Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Darkbass
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

New Job Trait for Samurai. Bushido: Dual Wielding Great Katanas.

Since Samurai in real life were able to dual wield Light Katana blades, I think this would be a great, and refreshing addition to Samurai. I was thinking the Mechanics would work as follows.

- Offhand Great Katanas can only be Kanesada type blades since they are the lightest type of Great Katana in the game.

- To make sure Samurai is not overpowered, the tp gained from the offhand Great Katana would either be 1/2 or 1/3 of the main Great Katana's tp gain.

I do feel this addition won't overpower Samurai and really stick to the realistic additions that have already been implimented to Samurai already. Possibly add a different dual wield stance for Samurai.

Thank you for the read and please consider this for the future updates.
    (4)
    The one who walks the road of Twilight. Bow to no one. Defeat everything.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 69
    I sort of always had this in my mind for some reason as well. If done right, it would certainly be cool and useful. Maybe add some critical-hit weapon skills with it heheh, usable whether dual-wielding or not but perhaps with slightly different characteristics.

In the end, my only concern probably would be one being definitely better than the other and then everyone would just use that. There would be a need for perhaps the other being better in some situations while the other would prevail on other occasions.

All in all, it would be rather difficult to do that, I imagine, and can't really see this happening.
    I would like it, though.
    (2)
    Kind Regards,
    ~ The Noob Unlimited ~

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.

Character
    Golovko
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    No. 123456789101112
    (12)

they have duel-wieldable great katanas.. they call them katanas.

now if you wanna give sam a katana skill and access to some of them then that's something i'd be willing to entertain.

but duel wielding great katanas is silly.. you'd look ridiculous.
    (18)

Character
    Darkbass
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    they have duel-wieldable great katanas.. they call them katanas.

now if you wanna give sam a katana skill and access to some of them then that's something i'd be willing to entertain.

but duel wielding great katanas is silly.. you'd look ridiculous.
    1. You are right, They are called Katanas. But not the katanas that ninja's wield in this game. The correct name for them is Wakizashi since they are shorter than Katana blades. Sam's is called Great Katana simply to differenciate from ninja's weapon name. 2, it would not look silly for Samurai to dual wield great katanas, as it doesnt look silly when they have done it IRL and in things drawn/put on tv. Watch some more tv and look it up on the internet and get more informed about the subject.
    (4)

Character
    Deadmen
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 90
    First Great katana are classified has two handed swords, and second Ive never seen a Samurai doc or movie where they duel weilded X2 great katana unless it was some kind of hollywood movie. Samurais Keep a Wakizashi and a Katana (Great katana), The Wakizashi is mainly for killing themselves if they fail in battle. Samurai were very prideful and honorable.
    (9)

Character
    Deadmen
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 90
    So I disagree with this thread
    (13)

I simply disagree with this because it would be nearly impossible to balance it to not be overpowered, but also make it useful.

Consider this, You can Dual wield these GK now, But is there a delay reduction? if so how much, 10%? if its 10%, and your offhand only gets ~1/3rd the TP gain, You're essentially giving up a significant chunk of Attack speed and TP Gain in return for... Looking silly?

If its ~40% or higher similar to Dual Wield from NIN, Would it effect your overall TP gain like Dual wield's Delay reduciton? Or would the Sub-hand nerf be the only nerf to TP?

Either way it just would not be useful to the job unless it was broken, Because giving the offhand less TP simply means you'll be taking longer to swing for over-all far less TP Gain-over-time. Giving it a Delay reduction to match Dual Wield, even with TP nerf, Would either make it too useless to consider, or too powerful.

Its a tough balance, I just simply do not see something like this being realistic. I am sorry
    (5)

Character
    Darkbass
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    You make great points karbuncle, but if added to the game, it would surely be balanced. there's more to the game than the math that simply the people working at SE knows. Lighter katanas like the kanesada types are the ones that allow you to effectively wield with one hand, providing access for two, which is my reasoning for using that as an example in the reason above.
    (2)

I know your reasons, I'm simply saying even if it was added It would simply not be useful. For example. Say you're wielding 2 Great Katanas. 1 with 480 delay, one with 420.

Your delay is now 900 before haste. If you're only getting 1/3rd TP From offhand, You're almost doubling your delay for 1/3rd the gain from doing so. Essentially you're massively cutting your WS-phase damage because of how much longer it will now take to get 100% TP.

I'm not saying it might not be historically accurate (Honestly, I don't know, I haven't looked up Samurai stuff ever), But I'm simply saying it would be either entirely too gimp to even be useful, or too overpowered. Who knows, they could balance it, But it would have to be done in a way i can't think of :O

(Admittedly i havent given it too severe of thought)

Edit: And also, With regards to offhanding Kanesada-types because they're light, Wouldn't it still raise the problem if you're say.. Mainhanding a Masamune? I mean the Kanesada is light but wouldn't Masa still require 2 hands?
    (3)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast