Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A Puppetmaster Suggestion.

Hello Official Forums peoples, I'm new to the 90Puppetmaster job, but i love it all the same. While the job itself is plenty powerful, There is one blaring concern i have with it.

Its Maneuvers. No I don't want to get rid of them, Just a small adjustment to them.

Maneuvers are a nice addition to the job in my eyes, The problem is, while they help the automaton in many ways, they hurt the Master. Thanks to the wonderful ~2-sec Delay from using a job ability, the act of keeping maneuvers up on your automaton will severely impact the masters overall DPS because of lost attack rounds.

This has gotten to the point some puppetmasters rarely use/keep maneuvers activated because their DPS outclasses the Automatons and hindering it isn't worth the extra bonus your automaton receives from Maneuvers.

I won't pretend to have a perfect solution to this, But I have a small one. Right now, Maneuvers last only 1 minute, My proposal is to Increase that duration. Maneuvers are still limited to a maximum of 3, making them last 3~5 minutes will simply limit the impact on our DPS.

You could, to balance, even adjust Overload rate accordingly, so you cannot simply spam the same maneuver due to elongated durations.

While its not a blaring problem to everyone, I think its one that should be addressed. I don't want to do-away with the Maneuver system, Simply to increase its effectiveness by limiting its negative impact on masters DPS.
    (5)

Character
    Kaiichi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    /signed.

Love the Idea. PUP is only 40 atm but I found the duration on maneuvers quite bothersome and eventually found myself to have only one or two on simply for the refresh effect.
    (0)
    Warning: You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be misunderstood, misworded, misquoted, and then used against you. For this is the law of the interwebs.

Character
    Xanaduu
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 95
    i never really noticed that much of a delay tbh, but that may be in part to me being a bit of a space cadet :P but yea, id like even a small increase in maneuver duration, longer they last, less we have to worry about~ unless an attachment kicks in that eats maneuvers :P, lately though i just been useing maneuvers as needed and either just cure myself when needed or (if its a DD frame) deploy and do my own thing. after a while though u will get used to it and will just become 2nd nature.
    BTW! grats on 90^^
    (0)

Character
    Lessina
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 96
    Maneuvers never really bother me all that much. That being said I tend to only keep one or two up at any given time unless I'm using Spiritreaver, and if I'm using Reaver I'm oftn not in Melee anyways.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Maneuvers actually barely delay you at all. And if you're swapping AF hands like you should be, the blinking out is often actually helpful.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Maneuvers actually barely delay you at all. And if you're swapping AF hands like you should be, the blinking out is often actually helpful.
    Its 2 seconds regardless of the Job ability, even switching gear, There is a universal 2sec delay between using a JA and when your next Attack round can begin.

While like i said its not catastrophe, It adds up over time, especially with 1 minute timer on Maneuvers, You lost 6-seconds of Melee every minute, this adds up to hinder your DPS a fair amount. Its to the point most higher-tier PUPs stop using Maneuvers because its not worth the loss in DPS.

This is especially more apparent if you're receiving haste or marches, where ~6 Seconds is a lot of lost damage and TP. (especially in Abyssea).

This would really only be an improvement to those PUPs who care about their damage output as much as they care about their Automaton working to his fullest, But i think its something that should realistically be addressed eventually :\.

Obviously if you're not meleeing there's no problem, But today most PUPs do Melee, and in the grand scheme of things using maneuvers in most cases hurts them more than helps them due to how often they need to be applied.

So yah, I don't think it "NEEDS TO BE FIXED RIGHT NOWZ", only that I'm wishing some time in the future they could triple/more the Duration of Maneuvers. Could simply adjust the Overload rate to compensate/balance.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Its 2 seconds regardless of the Job ability
    It's not 2 seconds. I have made attacks much sooner than that after a JA. If you make an attack really close to the JA animation, you will not play the attack animation, but the hits still register.

One thing I wouldn't mind would be longer maneuver durations, such that you can pick a set of three and not have to rotate them constantly to keep them up. This would aid this really minor problem, and it would also make maintaining the effects you want much less of a hassle.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 07-07-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    It's not 2 seconds. I have made attacks much sooner than that after a JA. If you make an attack really close to the JA animation, you will not play the attack animation, but the hits still register.

One thing I wouldn't mind would be longer maneuver durations, such that you can pick a set of three and not have to rotate them constantly to keep them up. This would aid this really minor problem, and it would also make maintaining the effects you want much less of a hassle.
    Its not from when the animation finishes, Its from the second you hit "Enter". there is a 2 second delay. The only exception I think is if a monster moves into range after you use an Ability which initiates Auto-attack. Outside of that If you're meleeing and use a Job Ability, from the second you hit Enter, not when the animation finished/etc, There is a minimum 2 second window to attack.

I'm not pulling this number out of my butt :\, It was tested a while back and i'm trying to dig it up as we speak.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you're talking about when you say "attack animation not showing but attacks still happening", It happens if you engage a mob while an action is happening on you too.

One second...

HERE!

http://shamayaasura.livejournal.com/10777.html

Edit: And yes, Longer Maneuver durations is all i want .
    (2)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 07-07-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Character
    Kurdtray
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Longer manuever duration is a very good idea but I think it should be longer than 5 mins, hell rng used have to put up velocity shot every 5 mins now its a 2 hour duration and manuevers are about as effective, granted if you have something that eats manuevers then you'd have to keep putting them up but I see no problems with setting your auto for heal mode or a decent dd no eat mode and just rolling with it for a couple hours.
    (1)

Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I think the maneuver duration and recast of maneuvers have been carefully balanced with the whole "overload" mechanic, making such changes as longer duration maneuvers severely impact that part of automaton control. In addition, there is a lot of gear that manages overload chances that would have to be rebalanced to be useful again.

One Solution:
    What if they added: When the master performs a maneuver, they also attack? This would mitigate much of the delay caused by the Maneuvers.

Alternate Solution:
    Job Ability: Routine
    Duration: 2hrs (like light arts/dark arts)
    Recast: 5min
    This Job Ability keeps three Maneuvers active.
    * Maneuvers will not wear off until the duration of this job ability wears off.
    * After 3 Maneuvers are set up, you are unable to perform maneuvers to overwrite existing maneuvers.
    * Attachments that consume maneuvers still consume maneuvers.
    * Consumed maneuvers can be replaced.
    In this way, the overload mechanic is still in place for those who forego the use of this ability, wanting to issue rapid-fire commands that they expect to be wearing off as they replace them. Attachments that consume maneuvers may actually be desirable with this Job Ability, for when you want to change maneuvers without disabling this Job Ability.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast