Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    I'm not really seeing the correlation between "reduced tp feed" and "converting physical damage to magical."

EDIT: Unless you're talking about making it like Chi Blast, which would be crazy overpowered.
    All our magical damage spells are a strait 10 TP per spell (before AGI/Subtle Blow checks) where as Quadratic Continuum is 40 TP for example.
    (0)

Character
    Defiledsickness
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    but they would still have to be multiple hits or it would kill the damage.
    (0)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiledsickness View Post
    but they would still have to be multiple hits or it would kill the damage.
    I'm assuming it would change to something like while under the effects Quadratic Continuum would deliver quadruple damage instead of quadruple hits, as that's the only way I see the whole less TP argument working.
    (0)

Character
    Kyte
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    The OP didn't explicitly state that, which implied a lack of understanding as to why our TP feed works the way it does (because they essentially kept it as magical-type TP feed, but on a per hit basis). Personally, I'd rather just lobby for changing physical magic TP feed to follow the formula of melee WS. SE doesn't seem to like changing the damage-type of WS (e.g. Penance doesn't affect WS, nor do special damage type weapons).
    (0)

Character
    Annahya
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I agree that changing the damage to magical would/should not have an effect on TP feed - as the number of hits the spell inflicts governs the TP feed.

I do like the idea of a /ja that converts spell damage like this, but I feel, as proposed, it is very overpowered. I could see a /ja like this being more like Chain Affinity, or Burst Affinity (or Elemental Seal, Divine Seal, et al.). Something more like:

[Name] (Something befitting of our background/story would be nice, so I like your inclusion of Beast, but I think a shorter name would be fine. Distortion is already a skillchain, so perhaps something like "Mutation" or "Soulless?")
    Duration: 30 seconds, or next Physical Blue Magic spell cast; whichever comes first.
    Recast Timer: 10 minutes
    Effect: The next Physical Blue Magic spell cast deals non-elemental, magical damage to target, instead of the damage it would normally inflict. Chance of additional effect increased.

{Edit: What if the effect read "The next Blue Magic spell cast deals non-elemental, magical damage to target, instead of the damage it would normally inflict. Chance of additional effect increased." This way, this /ja could also be used to strip the element off of a magical spell; allowing a potent spell to be used against a target that normally would be resistant to (or recover from) it. Why should we Physical casters get all the love?}

This way, the /ja has a reasonably restricted power level, as well as a reason to use it when facing monsters who do not possess resistance to physical damage. It would allow us to make a single hit against PLD mobs using Invincible, but would still (I think) stop us from hitting a THF after Perfect Dodge (as only the damage is changed, not the attack).

An ability like this would be neat, have a tactical use, and would (hopefully) not be too overpowered - provided it was one spell at a time and had a somewhat lengthy recast timer. Also, it would fit the story, in that BLU are taking the power of monsters and making it their own; allowing them to slightly tweak or experiment with what they have learned.

As usual, just my two-cents.
    ~Anna
    (1)
    Last edited by Annahya; 07-11-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Cleaning up formatting.
    "Play the way you want and have a good time - but understand that your performance can have an effect on the fun of others. Be effective for those counting on you, and never lose sight of the fact that enjoyment for yourself and others is the ultimate goal."

Character
    Scuro
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    10 TP for every hit on physical tp feed > then converting it into magical damage in which case the spell could either grant 10 TP for a single spell, or it could be a fraction less tp depending on how this JA would be hashed out. I don't believe this would be broken because as long as it was mediated to have a longer delay, it would be a panic button more so then it would be an abused JA. If this were to be applied to mobs weak to magic, or a desire to (possible) less tp feed, we could easily deal with them on the fly rather then having to swap out for magical. I myself do not like making my BLU well balanced in magical and phsyical, I believe if your going to do something right, you focus on it, especially in Abyssea with atmas. I personally only pick either Physical or magical, never both. And its annoying to run back and forth swapping things out, when I can just use this JA on a mob I'm fighting.

Also as I stated before, it wouldn't last long so it can't be abused, I'm pretty sure there are far more broken techniques belonging to jobs that make this idea seem dwarfed in comparison, because while it does have its obvious pros. It still has its set backs with the cons of the delay and necessity of the moderated utility. And you would still "bother with dual weild" because again.... this wouldn't last long, and the recast would be decent for the JA. To be more so fair, perhaps the recast should be 8mins, I say this because unlike Formless Strikes, I ask that ours last 1-2 minutes while theirs last 3 minutes. I don't think I'm "breaking the job" when I ask for more utility for my means of spell use. Because in comparison to people's ideas of "I want to turn into a soul flayer when I 2 hour and use every spell!" my ideas are very moderate and actually reasonable in comparison lol. Also TP feeding matters more then ever, hence why SE made it so AGI = Subtle Blow. With mobs that can TP and whipe hate, and TP and annihilate a full alliance. There are good reasons for why TP matters, and when you get a mob lower, the nastier it gets, so its usually nice to avoid feeding it more so then not. As I'm sure most can agree.

P.S
    This is 2011, breath spells haven't been cool since the level cap was 75 bro.
    (0)

99 BLU,PLD,SCH,RNG,NIN,BST,SMN,THF,BLM,WHM... Any questions..?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2