Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Valkrist
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 4

Light based damage spells.

Before I say what I'm about to say, this is not meant to be a war or flame thread that's meant to say, "this job is better than my job." I know this is probably among the least important things on a WHM's mind, but the light element nukes really need an overhaul whether or not it's in terms of actual damage or what their debuff does.

In terms of actual damage, every version of Banish and the spell Holy do a pitiful amount of damage regardless of whether Afflatus Solace or Misery is going. On top of the fact that the recasts for the spells are generally 15-60~ seconds per cast for so little. It's so bad that a BLM spamming Stone I (One, not I) can probably do more damage for less MP. Even against undead these spells do amazingly low damage.

The Banish spell line was originally looked at as a way to debuff undead so that the DDs can do more damage through the special defense layer. Truth be told, the debuff that the Banish spells do are almost entirely ignored due to the fact that people view these spells as nothing more than as weak nukes. There is no form of notification that the debuff from Banish has landed or worn off for people to understand that these spells are truthfully, a Dia-like spell (that stacks with Dia, without the DoT) against undead.

So you can see merit to using Banish spells, but not to using Holy. So what does Holy bring to the table in its current form? As is, it is a very fast casting light damage (in terms of actual damage and its element being light.) Its damage is significantly augmented by a charged up Afflatus Solace, but never to the point where the spell is effective. Usable by both WHM and PLD, but neither party will use the spell as a form of damage due to its low damage and its high MP cost. It doesn't do additional damage like Banish spells to undead. Used as a yellow !! trigger in Abyssea.

It seems that the spell was designed purely as a form of damage, but the numbers it produces make it so that it's not usable by players. The only time the spell Holy does a sizable chunk of damage is when Proto-Ultima casts it, or when a colibri mimicries it back at you with its damage seemingly multiplied.

A lot of players are looking at Holy in FFXI and comparing it to Holy in FFIV or FFVII and thinking why isn't it on par with Meteor. I'm not asking for that kind of extreme change, but the spell really has fallen quite a ways with its history in previous FF games.

So unfortunately the spell Holy doesn't do much to benefit anyone aside for being used as a way to get a quick spell off for skill ups. The fact that the spell was given to PLD means that the job is meant to be able to do something with the spell as well, but unfortunately I can not see it in its current form.

Currently the spell that does the most light based damage belongs to SCH as Luminohelix. I don't know if it's intentional or not to give the job a very powerful light based nuke because it's a hybrid class that's a jack of all trades. As is, SCH is the only job that can do significant damage using light based spells because of this. Not that light based damage is something that's highly sought after, but it's a fact.

To sum things up, the Banish spell line is an undead debuff that does little damage in general. Holy is a purely offensive spell, but is only useful in monster hands. I think anything at this point to makes these spells more useful would be welcome to the job.
    (5)

Idk, the only issue is its resists because I've seen whms pump out 1k+ Holy. There are also a ton of matk gear that whm can obtain, the only issue is primarily macc I believe.
    (0)

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I never understood why Holy required so much MP to cast. I does maybe the same if not less damage than Banish III most of the time, and has one hell of a recast.

1k+Holy doesn't sound so much like good macc as it is maybe good healing numbers with Solace on. Solace only effects Holy damage, no other light-based damage spell, and your recorded healing numbers get erased with each cast. Misery increases Banish damage based on other damage dealt, though - similarly to Solace+Holy - casting a Banish spell erases that recorded damage and you have to start from scratch again.

I'm pretty sure the light-based nukes were designed just as a small damage bonus to debuff undead (for about what seems like the same duration as Flash's blindness), and not meant to cause even RDM-worthy damage. Though I gotta say, making trials that rely on light-based damage kills is a pain without any decent damaging light-based nuke spells.
    (1)
    Through the confinement of Valefor I found myself in the depths of Hades. It was there that I was thrown into Cerberus' Den. Only through Carbuncle's light could I find my way.

Misery+Banish - It is damage taken that augments Banish and it is only the last damage taken that is counted. Damage taken does not stack like curing does for Solace+Holy. I have hit 2K once with fully charged Solace+Holy as a Magic Burst and usually save it for a kill shot. It is a fast cast that can be started after the weapons skill animation has started and still get the MB. Solace+Holy will out damage Misery+Banish III every time.

What I have not been able to ascertain is just what is the cap for curing for Solace+Holy to get max benefit. At its inception I was hitting 704 damage and that seemed like a cap but later when it started doing over 1K routinely I figured that was some upgrade to Solace that accounted for that. Just not sure if there is a hard number cap or if the effect is 100% reliable. It is not like a TP meter we can see.
    (1)
    Last edited by Simian; 03-10-2011 at 11:24 PM.
    90 WHM, RDM
    85 WAR

Character
    Nariae
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Long long time ago back when FFXI was only in Japan, Holy had comparable damage to the other AM, plus it instacasts. Blms hated it. It was nerfed. The Solace/Misery update was an attempt to throw whm a bone with out angering blms (one which I am very happy with). Personally, before a change to the dmg/debuff formulas I would like to see whm get Banish IV and Banishga III (I mean come on SE smn has banish IV but whm does not?)
    (1)
    Last edited by Naria; 03-11-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    WHM nuking is just where it should be, if you want more dmg, get more MAB.
    (0)

Character
    Talizorah
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I agree that its over due for an upgrade in divine magic teir, damage increase or not, whm is the only mage job that hasn't got any upgrades in nuke teirs, even if banish is a weak nuke, it is a nuke none the less and time for an upgrade. Banish IV, Banishga III, Banishga IV, and Holy II, help me out SE!!!! (I know Banishga IV is most likely never going to happen, but it would be nice if they did give us it!!)
    (0)
    Last edited by hollowsgrief; 03-14-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Just had some extra thoughts to add

Player
    I agree with the original poster. Solace and Misery were paltry additions to make WHM feel like they could nuke, while the true problem of magical potency was left unaddressed. Banish 1-5, Banishga 1-3, Holy 1 and 2. Make Holy AM. Just give them equivalent potency even of Stone. Just let them be something of a magical threat.
    (0)

Character
    Nahal
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 90
    whats the big hoohah, WHM isnt a damage job, it can do a bearable ammount of damage with banish/holy if you have the gear and divine skilled up, but whm isnt blm, its not a nuker, its not RDM either and supposed to do a bit of everything, whm is made to heal, sure you CAN use it for damage, but thats not its primary role. saying "oh well whm is the best healer but our damage isnt up to much" is being greedy, there has to be some sort of job balance. give whm the ability to nuke well and its going to end up being able to do TOO much.
    (1)
    Me ----> FF14, "I am dissapoint."
    BLM RDM BRD WHM BLU 90
    WAR DNC SCH NIN 50

Player
    You can do "too much" on almost any job nowadays. The lines are blurring. I don't want them to usurp Blm as the glass cannon, but still give them something. Besides, look at Sch, they can do both with just a couple of job abilities. The gear and skill only take you so far, and Solace/Misery could be stripped of their nuking side effects to prevent overdoing it. If not, why bother having Divine Magic at all? If a spell has no relevancy at some point, just get rid of it. I rather see spell classes get expanded, not made smaller. Besides, we are closing in on 99, I think an upgrade from Banish 3<<< would be nice.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast