Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

PlayOnline Viewer has stopped working

I apologize for posting this a second time. I apparently closed the first thread accidentally.

Could anyone help me? I have a new laptop that I'm trying to install FFXI on, but I can't get PlayOnline to work. I've tried downloading and running the Vista/Windows 7 compatible version of the POL Viewer, but I still get the "stopped working" message a few seconds after I open it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Date & Time:
    6/21/11 onward

Frequency:
    State how frequent the issue occurs. Please select from the following.
    Always

Platform:
    PC

PC Manufacturer & Model Number:
    Dell - XPS L702X

Operating System:
    Windows 7

Graphics Card:Intel(R) HD Graphics Family - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    (0)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    okay first off has it ever actually worked?
    running this game on intel graphics is a bit iffy but many of us do get it working, the POL viewer installer you are using, where did you get it? you might need a installer from a newer copy of the game such as Vana'diel collection 2008 or the Ultimate Collection

if it did work have you tried using the system file checker for windows 7?
    (0)
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Have you tried safe mode?
    (0)

Player
    Wildsprite,

I've never actually gotten it to work on this computer. I'm using the ultimate collection from steam, so it's the newest version possible I believe.

I'll try the system file checker.

Raksha,

I haven't tried safe mode. I don't really know anything about it. I'll look into it.

Thanks.
    (0)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    also check your directx with dxdiag it can be many things causing this, directx, memory, a defective RAM stick can cause issues with video as well, and since it is an intel video chipset the chances of the memory being shared are very high

if you still have issues try getting memtest86+ if you google it the free version is the 3rd link down then you can either burn it to CD or there is a version for a USB key
    (0)
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Player
    I got POL and FFXI updated in safe mode but I still can't open POL with a normal startup.

I also apparently have an integrated graphics card on this thing and a NVIDIA card. I've tried running POL using only one or the other and it's grumpy regardless.
    (0)

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    If it works in safe mode, but not normally, I bet it's a driver issue.
    (0)

Player
    Other than making sure I have the most recent drivers, any idea what to do if that's the case?
    (0)

When it comes to video cards, the most recent drivers and hardware are actually sometimes the problem with FFXI. That is becoming increasingly common with the last couple generation of graphics cards--they don't get along well with pre DirectX 9/10 content because of what Microsoft did with DirectX architecture in Vista/Win7. The last driver release from nVidia that SE tested and was flagged for being compatible with FFXI was 266.58. If you have something newer, might want to try rolling them back.

If you can provide the model of the nVidia GPU, maybe someone here got it working with that family and can provide some info on how they got it working.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Player
    The device manager lists it as NVIDIA GeFOrce GT 555M. I'll see if I can find the older driver you mentioned for now.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast