Character
    Andrien
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90

Unused FFXI Areas

For a long time now this this been bugging me. These 2 zones always been there in the game but, never been put to use. Some might know about these unused zones, and still have no idea what purpose they serve.

Anyone know what these zones for?
    For those who don't know what I'm talking about. Here is the link.

Area 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5qD9yshVY&feature=related

Area 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=graMby5q90U&feature=related
    (2)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Remnants of testing areas I'm guessing. They merely use texture files and landscape cuts from other zones, so I don't think there's anything special about them. They don't look like they're related to anything in the game, or ever will be.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Ilisidi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    At least the second one uses more than texture files and landscape cuts from other zones, it contains the Sel Phiner monorail and the waysign pointing to Chocobo Wood.
    (0)

There was one technical difficulty post back in 2008 that made reference to a zone that wasn't in the game. It's one thing that's stuck in my memory.

We have experienced several technical difficulties on some areas on the Shiva World, but the recovery process is now complete. Thank you for your patience.

[Date & Time]
    May 1, 2008 from 3:10 to 3:33 (PDT)

[Issue Details]
    Unable to access to the following areas in Shiva world.

[Cause]
    Technical issues with the server equipment.

[Affected Areas]
    - Valkurm Dunes
    - Behemoth's Dominion
    - Upper Delkfutt's Tower
    - Crawler's Nest
    - Bastok Mine
    - Chamber of Oracles
    - The Last Stand
    - Bibiki Bay
    - Promyvion - Mea
    - Apollyon
    - Rolanberry Fields
    - Waughroon Shrine
    - Zeruhn Mines
    - Ship bound for Mhaura
    - Windurst Woods
    - The Sanctuary Zi'Tah
    - Temple of Uggalepih
    - Pso'Xja
    - Phomiuna Aqueducts
    - Kazham
    - Davoi
    - Dynamis - Beaucedine
    - Cloister of Storms
    - Den of Rancor
    - Labyrinth of Onzozo
    - Inner Horutoto Ruins
    - Promyvion - Holla
    - Grand Palace of Hu'Xzoi
    - Rolanberry Fields [S]
    - Meriphataud Mountains [S]
    - West Sarutabaruta [S]
    Original PlayOnline Post The bolding is for emphasis on the zone. I've heard that it's an unused BCNM zone, but I'm interested in how it ended up being part of a technical difficulty post since it's not in the game. Is it where GMs live when they're not out and about in the world?
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrien View Post
    For a long time now this this been bugging me. These 2 zones always been there in the game but, never been put to use. Some might know about these unused zones, and still have no idea what purpose they serve.

Anyone know what these zones for?
    For those who don't know what I'm talking about. Here is the link.

Area 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5qD...eature=related

Area 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=graMb...eature=related
    Area 1, in the original Japanese beta test and perhaps in the initial retail release, was what you were presented when you were changing jobs. You saw a high-res model, similar to what you see when creating a character, and you changed jobs much like you do now while staying in the Mog House.

Area 2, seems like a remnant of testing areas done in pre-release. Like Ilisidi said, it contains the monorail and Chocobo Wood signage, but those were two ideas not put into use. Although, some have speculated that the area labeled "Depot" in Bastok Mines was originally planned as being a loading dock for the monorail services, and that the bizarre terrain features in the mountainside just to the west of the current Abyssea - Altepa Cavernous Maw, was originally where the monorail routed through.
    (0)

second one looks pretty cool. would like to have seen it. xD
    (0)

Character
    Crystalweapon
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 96
    That makes me sad. I kinda want to ride a monorail now.
    (0)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NsnLfIAcs&feature=BF&list=PLB5F836BEB04E9DF1&index=8

Character
    Pimpchan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I know probably 3 unknown areas in the game right now, and they are not accessible. The First one is in arrapago near the shuttle that brings you to the ashu talif quests bcnm. There is a door that you can't open facing the shuttle. Someone told me it's used in the COR AF quest though. There are stuff inside, and when you get close enough to the gate and turn your back you can see a new map, the only wiki map that doesn't match accessible areas. When you explore it with a model viewer there is an area that looks like other prisoner cells.

The second area I know is located in Halvung. Well I assume this is where you can get access to it. The is a path at D11 on the second map (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Halvung/Maps#Map_2) that leads to Mount Zhayolm. I went there in the first days of ToAU release. You can only access the area in a party of 6 : at first you need 6 ppl to open the levers that open the blue doors that lead to the prisoner cells area at ~E10. But then at D11 there is another door and this one is blocked, you can't open it even with 6. I suspect that the path behind leads to an island of Mount Zhayolm. It's safe to assume that it is the island at F9 (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Mount_Zhayolm/Maps) as the island at I12 is for Cerberus (in front of the ZNM tablet thing). Again with a model viewer you can see that there is an island with terrain similar to Mount Zhayolm and that there is a path going undergound (like other zhayolm zones).

The 3rd zone is a weird place inside one of the assault missions. In one of the area there is a wooden bridge with a hole in the middle, so you can't cross it. On the opposite side you can see and target a door (silver or rusted door, I don't remember) but you can't go there so hmm... I think it's the "diffuse the threat" mission with the birdge being located at G10, not sure. All those missions physically link to each other anyway.
    (0)
    Last edited by MarkovChain; 06-24-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Ultimate DPS simulator
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTecldhZm94a1gtZnM/edit

They stated they are adding a new area/raid/dungeon, end of the year called "the last stand" its been in the game since 2008 or earlier (blocked off from access, but it's still there in the dats).
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    and that the bizarre terrain features in the mountainside just to the west of the current Abyssea - Altepa Cavernous Maw, was originally where the monorail routed through.
    I'm not sure about that, because the Depot faces in the opposite direction in Bastok.
    (0)