Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Covenant
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90

Scholar new spell list - "gain STAT" aka bard buffs but single cast.

Rather than continuing to feed scholar BLM and WHM spells, I'd like the whole unique spell list idea. I'd go further than just giving scholars gain or boost spells(RDM and WHM respectively).
    I'd take the bard song list and strip the party effects to single party targets. Things like ACC, RACC, MACC, MAB, EVASiON, ATT would become single casted spells for moderate effects (what's a tier II or III bard song effect?). Gaining 10-20 points(debatable) in any of those traits would offer significant returns.
    Balance, keep these from being Accessioned like enspells2. Keep them high enough so that they are unique for scholars. And allowing them to stack WITH bard songs would be nice.
    I, also thought of a "spell" that increased the potency of a party members next job ability similar to RDM's saboteur. Basically, increase the /JA duration or strength.
    (0)

Character
    Covenant
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    Before I get troll mail, think about it... One of the most frustrating things about bard songs is the fact that any 3 song overwrites the first song. A scholar with these spells could pinpoint buffs..ninja get evasion....warriors attack...nukers MaB...etc, without worrying about AOE or overwriting effects.
    These type of spells don't step on anyone's toes as opposed to having given scholars access to tier V nukes and redmage solo spell and accession.
    (0)

Player
    I'd like the whole unique spell list idea.
    I'd take the bard song list and strip the party effects to single party targets.
    That's not really unique then.

But I don't disagree with giving Scholar unique buffs, rather than balancing it horribly by pretending Accession doesn't exist (seriously, stop this SE) I'd make the best of a bad scenario (Libra et al) and make them completely un-unique Corsair style buffs based off enmity levels, which no doubt people are sick of me for saying; assuming people still visit here.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sotek; 06-24-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Character
    Kasandaro
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Rather than continuing to feed scholar BLM and WHM spells, I'd like the whole unique spell list idea. I'd go further than just giving scholars gain or boost spells(RDM and WHM respectively).
    I'd take the bard song list and strip the party effects to single party targets. Things like ACC, RACC, MACC, MAB, EVASiON, ATT would become single casted spells for moderate effects (what's a tier II or III bard song effect?). Gaining 10-20 points(debatable) in any of those traits would offer significant returns.
    Unless you are significantly underskilled, ACC, RACC, and MACC are going to be capped outside of Voidwatch, and many jobs can cap EVA, especially with cruor and atma choices.

MAB is always nice to have, though, since it's a straight post-math bonus.

As for ATT? On DNC90, my naked ATT is well over 400. A buff that increases my attack by 20? That's a Dispel-buffer.

Also, the point should be made that RDM currently gets self-target base attribute buffs and WHM gets the AoE version (both at a higher potency than Stormsurge - /stab). So the uniqueness factor is...questionable.
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Honestly I'm hoping for something more unique and valued for SCH, and more importantly a boost to our current spells that are already interesting in concept (Storms, Adloquium, Animus)

Quote Originally Posted by Sotek View Post
    But I don't disagree with giving Scholar unique buffs, rather than balancing it horribly by pretending Accession doesn't exist (seriously, stop this SE) I'd make the best of a bad scenario (Libra et al) and make them completely un-unique Corsair style buffs based off enmity levels, which no doubt people are sick of me for saying; assuming people still visit here.
    I've always liked the concept of basing SCH spells on some numeric parameter. Varying potency based on target's MP, HP, TP, TP, ENM etc, maybe with an additional JA use before it - something that works outside of strategems but on a charge basis as well:

Use Parameter: HP and Cure spells have a potency increase of 1% for every 2% the target's HP is below 90%. They could even base the threshold on a trait that increases with level. So level 20 SCH could only use it to boost Cure below HP 20%, but you "learn" to affect greater spans of HP by level 90-99 so that a Cure V equivalent is readily available by 90, for target HP bars below 40%. Use Parameter: Enmity and Animus spells receive a potency increase for lower or higher levels of Enmity, etc.
    (0)

Player
    Klimaform II would be nice for weather based buffs. To copy/paste from something like Summoner, Klimaform II + Firestorm = +ATK, or +Hailstorm = +MAB, +Voidstorm = Refresh, etc. Though rather than another spell to do that, it might make more sense to once again copy from Summoner and just throw it in as an ability.
    That's just to give a general idea before anyone jumps on me for out right copying Summoners abilities.

Would be nice to see some spells that work outside Arts as well (Gray spells?), though not completely. Something like a buff that does one thing in Light Arts, and another in Dark Arts, while not giving you the regular Arts bonus. That would actually be ideal for Libra/Animus related stuff, something like:
    Dark Arts: Enmity 75%+ +ATK
    Light Arts: Enmity 75%+ +DEF
    To give a pathetic example.
    Scholar lacks reason to actively switch Arts. Yes it's cool that I can be a nuker then switch to being a healer, but you're mostly one or the other since it's impossible to be a fulltime nuker and healer; unless your healer dies or a White Mage shows up there's no real need to switch.
    (2)

Character
    Covenant
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    I fail horribly at the "number-crunching" aspect of FFXI,so things like caps and whatnot I don't get. However, I just base the idea on "normal"(ie outside Abyssea) play and general trends. SquareEnix makes players jump through hoops to gain at most a 20pt boost from trials. Things like evasion, pet evasion, MaB, etc. And last I check a +6 or +7 INT rings still sells for 1mil Gil or so.
    So my suggested boost were simply a lack of knowledge. I do want to make a single cast scholar spell "overpowered". Two approachs I see happening with this spell. Either a low set number for specific duration or a high number with decay.
    I tried to keep away from the stat boost because Darkknight, /Darkknight, WHM, bard, and RDM all have individual boosters songs or spells. Both corsair and bards have the other "stat" AoE's, yet lack for the most part individual effects. Bard does have it, but a 3rd song will always overwrite the first.
    Some people would argue that scholars when boosting through storm surge already give a boost it is true what they say. But, it's true in the same way as casting absorb-DEX and absorb-ACC for dark night is the same.
    Just to say, I offered recognizable buffs. But these scholar boost can include others buffs like skill chain, magic burst, HP increase, MP increase, and maybe even a "luck"(think treasure hunter) spell.
    Or think of the potency spell, transforming all regular job abilities into /JA +1(next use only).
    I do recognize the "downside" though. Yes, it's the same argument as the Darkknight nuke argument. Namely, why buff players when a scholar can just tier V nuke themselves foot straight damage. I don't have an answer, only that the "flavor" of the job style will change.
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I'm liking the idea of more buffs coming from weather instead of a slew of new specific spells. Klimaform II would be a fine way to do it, but I'd go for a simple JA.

Firestorm + Geomancy JA = +ATT

Make the recast high enough so you can't "Geomance" everyone but low enough to be worthwhile.

EDIT: Changed my mind. By using a Klimaform II to activate the bonus to weather, you could AOE it. Whereas WHM and SMN can pick one buff for the party and RDM can pick one self buff, SCH would be able to provide an AOE buff to the party that varies by member depending on their weather. Also, I'd like this to work like Klimaform where the source of the weather is unimportant. Unlike Stormsurge, you could apply the buff using Klimaform II without a storm spell if the current zone weather matched the buff you wanted to give. So if the zone weather is ice, you can give everyone MAB with Accession/Manifestation + Klimaform II.
    (2)
    Last edited by Merton9999; 06-27-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Geomancy? Or Enhances "Storm" spells effect on a SCH unique piece/set of equipment?
    (0)
    "Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
    Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"

Character
    Saefinn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    I suspect if you were doing other stats they'd be laid out like this:

Sandstorm: Def+
    Rainstorm: Mag Def+
    Windstorm: Eva+
    Firestorm: Att+/Rng Att+
    Hailstorm: Mag Att+
    Thunderstorm: Acc+/Rng Acc+
    Aurorastorm: Cure Potency+
    Voidstorm: All of the Above (but weaker)

The Cure Potency stat would be particularly useful because of SCH's lack of Cure V and VI and we don't want to be stepping on the toes of WHM, however, I think Cure Potency + Rapture wouldn't be too big of a problem for competition, yet it'll increase SCH's Curing potential.

The boosts from Stormsurge aren't too great for the above stats, as, for example Thunderstorm gives DEX and for every 2 DEX you get 1 ACC, with +7 DEX, that's not making too much of a difference, compared to Hunter's Roll, which if a lucky number is hit is +40. As it seems SCH's exclusivity is in enhancements it is perhaps a good idea to let them utilise more of them.

In my Aby group I'm normally chucked into the DD party because my healing is second to a WHM (hence WHM teams up with the tanks) and what I'm there to do is use my enhancements on them. (And just as well my second main is COR, so when I'm asked to come COR my job is pretty much the same just with different enhancements, bar the use of nukes and cures)

Of course, I wouldn't want SCH to compete with BRD or COR, because they really ought to be the true enhancers - to AoE Thunderstorm to get +40 ACC would be stepping on people's toes a bit and as a COR I am reluctant to support the idea of SCH getting these buffs. A +10 ACC buff (for example) would only be stepping on COR if they roll a 1, an 8 or bust and ought not step on the toes of a BRD either. So watered down versions of these stats would probably work - chuck them in a Stratagem/JA (next storm spell will offer a stat bonus), Klimaform 2, Traits or as Storm 2 spells or whatever seems most appropriate.

However, the trouble I feel is, would it be detracting too much from the elemental bonuses from storm spells? I suppose if you're using Icestorm for Mag Att Bonus +10 and have Tupsimati for +30 on corresponding weather it wouldn't be.

At the same time, SCH isn't all about enhancing - I quite love Helix spells, it'd be interesting to see more done with them. I use them as an alternative to nukes on tougher enemies, because 75% of the time I'll be healing/enhancing - I find for the total MP and damage dealt they're a lot more MP and hate efficient. When thrown in to nuke, I'll use a helix anyway because it's extra damage whilst I'm spamming nukes/skillchains.
    (0)
    Saefinn on Asura
    Main Jobs: Corsair: i117, Scholar: i117, Monk: i117, Summoner: i117

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast