Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A single simple solution to Paladin

Paladin simply needs a single trait that both:

a.) rewards STR as attack damage (much more significantly than the existing 2str =1atk for all classes, while still balanced below the benchmark DD's) and ..

b.) rewards VIT as -dmg% taken based on enmity (understandably this should only be a small fraction of a percent per VIT point, and maybe drastically curve off towards an established VIT cap). VIT should also be rewarded as: 1VIT = 0.5HP (i.e. 100VIT = +50HP). Lastly, VIT should effect enmity as a reduction in enmity-loss while damage is taken.

Both of these could be contained in a single trait called "The Will of Mount Ordeals" obtainable at Paladin level 95.

I'm stretching a bit by combining four effects into one trait (attack+, -damage% taken, enmity-loss reduction, and HP+) but anyone who knows the condition of Paladin will know it's in desperate need of change. The added damage would help compete with the existing DD's enmity, and the -dmg% reduction would somewhat justify turning the monster. In thinking about this for a long time, I also wanted to somehow see AGI improve Subtle Blow, but this new added TP feed should be justified through the damage mitigation and enmity-loss reduction i'm proposing. Besides, it's just not fitting that a paladin strikes lightly, he's a big wall of metal ^^.

If a single trait here is too unbalanced, i'd say the only other option would be to have these as active aura's (STR or VIT) that can be toggled between the two (sort of like Hasso and Seigan, but no timers). No animation would be needed if it impacted the PS2, just a buff icon.

As a side note, if there was one other valuable suggestion for Paladin that I've seen on these forums over the the last month or so, is to improve Cover. There's been lots of proposals here, i.e. span the effect acroo multiple players/alliance, or automate during certain party members hp%, etc - all good suggestions.
    (0)

Character
    Kwate
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95
    The problem is nothing DEF based, it's the fact that DD's can tank almost as efficiently, can cause more damage and hold hate without alot of extra gadget abilities. PLD I think is perfect for alliance type setup, but when you're doing 3-5 people lowman (which is the majority) every slot counts. PLD defensively is great, offensively is where it becomes a liability, especially when other DD jobs are so potent at 90.
    (1)
    Last edited by Kwate; 06-22-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Character
    Solbadgirl
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    I see no problem with pld. It will come back into play when there are hard things to fight.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwate View Post
    offensively is where it becomes a liability, especially when other DD jobs are so potent at 90.
    Did you not read the part (a.) ? That was the most important part, and why I said "significant".

Quote Originally Posted by Kwate View Post
    The problem is nothing DEF based, it's the fact that DD's can tank almost as efficientl.
    You're wrong. The problem is bilateral, and that's why i'm breaking it down into (a.) and (b.) above. Once we give paladin what i'm suggesting in (a.), the paladin is going to need to justify and mitigate the monsters attention effectively - the reality is paladins lack of evasion is going to result in relatively more TP for the mob (compared to say NIN or MNK tanking), and inability to properly reduce emnity-loss while mainting HP is critical.

Like everything, it's about balance - Yin and Yang - there's no way to perfectly balance any one class, but some jobs like PLD have easier progress in balancing than others .
    (1)
    Last edited by Oakrest; 06-23-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I think its funny you think a little bit of extra attack is going to make you tank... here run this quick test go out as PLD/whatever, bring a MNK and bring a BRD. Make sure the MNK is in a different party from you and the BRD. Have the BRD play double Minuet.
    Assuming the BRD is good and geared well:
    Valor Minuet V = 81 ATK
    Valor Minuet IV = 66 ATK

That will give you 147 ATK that the MNK isn't getting. This is much more than you'd get than doubling the effect STR has on ATK.

Let me know how well that works for you keeping the monster's attention.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Zagen View Post
    I think its funny you think a little bit of extra attack is going to make you tank...
    I think it's funny you obviously didn't read my OP. Did you notice the word 'significant' and decide to replace that with 'little'? Moreover, I'm still keeping things within a balanced framework - Paladin needs a lot of work, but arguable has a lot of assets already - with a good mix of what i'm saying in (a.) and (b.), PLD will be fixed.
    (0)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakrest View Post
    I think it's funny you obviously didn't read my OP. Did you notice the word 'significant' and decide to replace that with 'little'? Moreover, I'm still keeping things within a balanced framework - Paladin needs a lot of work, but arguable has a lot of assets already - with a good mix of what i'm saying in (a.) and (b.), PLD will be fixed.
    You don't think 147 ATK from my example is a "significant" boost to attack?

Increasing attack alone does nothing when your competition either swings faster weapons, has higher damage weapons, higher damage weapon skills, job abilities/traits that increase damage potential, or all of the above.

Increasing attack and reducing damage taken does nothing when your competition for tanking is mitigating just as much if not more damage even when you reduce your damage taken. Heck 2 of the better/best items a PLD can wear for DDing will give them -15% PDT over other jobs' TP set and yet the PLD still isn't tanking currently.
    (0)

Increasing attack alone does nothing ....
    Did you even read my OP? I didn't mention attack exclusively - I clearly point out 4 areas of improvement that I've divided into two categories. Moreover, if you look i'm saying attack damage generally, the bit about 2str=1atk should only be considered a suggestion of one of many ways to balance up it's atk dmg output. That is 1/4th my proposal (damage+,damage mitigation,enmity loss reduction, and hp+).

There's many ways a PLD can take hate now with the right JA & Magic usage (and atmas if in Abyssea) - the problem is justifying it (feeding tp, taking damage, enmity loss, etc, etc - what i'm breaking into the four items above). The PLD is arguably a 'jack of all trades', and therefore a master of none. There's nothing wrong with being a jack of all trades, this jack just needs each of its trades slightly boosted.

You don't think 147 ATK from my example is a "significant" boost to attack?
    To be honest I don't know, and probably won't do the math - I'll leave that up to SE. The important thing here is balance, my mention of 'jack of all trades' is the key, it just needs a proper improvement to each of the 4 proposed sections.
    (0)
    Last edited by Oakrest; 06-25-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Character
    Solbadgirl
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    Lol how is pld a jack of all trades? It's supposed to be good at damage mitigation and holding hate. It's a tank.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieGibson View Post
    Lol how is pld a jack of all trades? It's supposed to be good at damage mitigation and holding hate. It's a tank.
    Maybe it's fairer to say: a jack of many trades. It tanks, cures, does damage, mitigates damage, etc... anyone of those four mentioned examples would be better served of a job that focuses in that area. Again, that's fine - it just is very weak overall right now.
    (0)
    Last edited by Oakrest; 06-27-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast