Thread: FFXI Portable

Character
    Wolfemasters
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

FFXI Portable

I would love to see this game made more accessible by releasing some iPhone/Droid apps that allow you to play while on the go. Take some notes from Blizzard. They have a security token app, fishing app, and an armory app. All of this could EASILY be incorporated into FFXI without having to worry about PS2 limitations. And for those of you trolls that tell me to go play WoW instead, keep in mind the reason I don't play WoW is because I don't like WoW. I like FFXI. I'd just like to see SE add more to this game to help breath some much needed life back into it.

What apps would you guys like to see? Here's what I would like.

Security token app ~ You no longer need to hock up $9.99 for a new token, every time it breaks or the batteries die.

Fishing app ~ Wouldn't give anyone an unfair advantage, just allow you to fish from your phone. You could even say you're fishing at a fishing park so that you don't get aggro, but have to pay per hour. It would definitely be more amusing to pull back the phone to reel it in.

Armory/Inventory app ~ This could allow you to manage your inventory, just like being in your Mog House.

Auction House app ~ This could either be a part of the previous app or a separate app altogether. But basically, you get to check/buy/sell stuff at the AH.

Storage Slip App ~ This could allow you to check the contents of your storage slips, without having to go to the Porter Moogle.

Emperyon Tracker ~ Allows you to track the status of your Emperyon weapons/armor. See what you have +1/+2 and what seals you have for each piece.

Crafting app ~ Probably the best idea for an app, ever. Let people craft, on their phone. You could buy the items you need from guilds without traveling, buy from the auction house, and sell whatever you craft to either a guild or place it on the auction house.

All of these apps would have to abide by the same rules. It would not give anyone an unfair advantage in the game, and as long as you are logged in to the game on that character, you can not use the apps.

This would allow people to continue selling stuff on a mule character while playing, crafting and managing away from home.

It wouldn't be considered an unfair advantage because of the same reason that the security tokens are not "unfair stoarge." You bought and paid for it. Same thing goes for any other rare/exclusive items in the game that give you an "unfair" advantage by allowing you to teleport somewhere (i.e. Tidal Talisman). If you want to be able to craft on the go, buy the app. I'd pay $.99 per app, gladly and without hesitation.

Then you could also offer a bundle package that would include all the apps for cheaper. The possibilities for where Square Enix could go with this are endless and it would make the game infinitely better.

UPDATE:

Slakyak had a great idea for an app, even though I am sure his was unintentional, I'd love to see it.

Chocobo Raising App ~ Chocogatchi!
    (2)
    Last edited by Wolfe; 06-26-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added more ideas
    "Love thy wolf, more than thy neighbor." ~ W. Masters
    "I'm sorry if you don't like me, but I'm not sorry for being who I am." ~ W. Masters
    "There's nothing wrong with being wrong." ~ W. Masters

Quality of Life Ideas & More:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/43689-Quality-of-Life-Ideas-More

2. 06-20-2011 05:47 AM

Character
    Laciante
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 93
    While the Japanese are famous for being masters of the keitai, I doubt SE would do this, simply because those who have such a type of phone have an unfair advantage over those who have no need for such a phone and do not wish to buy one.
    It's a nice idea though, being able to do tedious tasks between things IRL...
    (0)

I bet most next gen MMOs will have some sort of portable app. Chocobo raising is too much like tamigocchi for them not to have thought of this at SE Towers!!

Great idea though!
    (2)
    The days of the digital watch are numbered.

Character
    Wolfemasters
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Laciante View Post
    While the Japanese are famous for being masters of the keitai, I doubt SE would do this, simply because those who have such a type of phone have an unfair advantage over those who have no need for such a phone and do not wish to buy one.
    It's a nice idea though, being able to do tedious tasks between things IRL...
    You have to keep in mind that SE very possibly COULD do this, just for the simple fact that they release plenty of in-game items that are unfair to other players. Such as the Tidal Talisman, Mog Satchel, Destrier Beret, etc.

I was unable to preorder a talisman because the site kept screwing up on me and ruining my order. Many other players out there can not afford or are able to obtain the Mog Satchel. Plus, if you own every expansion for FFXI (as MOST players already do and preordered everything), you will never be able to obtain a Destrier Beret.

There are also items that are only obtainable if you attend a convention, which is just stupid. I would love to go to a convention, but if it is held in California (or even in Japan), you may not be able to go. I live in Michigan, I can not just pack up and head out to a FFXI con just because I want the item. I have to worry about money, my shift at work being covered, time off and if I can afford it.

There are plenty of things that are unfair about the game, SE doesn't care. So why should they care if not everyone can afford a smart phone and the apps too? This is not something that is likely to change any time soon.
    (1)
    "I'm sorry if you don't like me, but I'm not sorry for being who I am." ~ W. Masters

Apps for stuff like AH and managing inventory would be amazing.
    (1)
    Dear Customer,
    We have determined that the post you made was in violation of the User Agreement policies. The post was edited or deleted accordingly.
    Original Post:
    Signature states "JP ONRY" in Japanese.

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    FFXI on the PS Vita? Hmmm....
    (3)
    "Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
    Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"

Character
    Wolfemasters
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Bumping thread for some hopeful new ideas for apps. Or at least some commentary from people who have something else to add.
    (0)

Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment, but to maintain a degree of balance, I suggest that
    a) any apps are also browser-based, so that players aren't restricted by smartphone ownership and can join in from machines that don't have the game installed, and
    b) the actions available to you whilst you were logged out of the game were reliant on the in-game location that you logged out from, eg you would have to be in range of the AH, a body of water, in your mog house, at a particular guild, at the chocobo stables/circuit, etc depending on what you wanted to do.

There's a few apps out there that do some of the stuff - an Empyrean tracker for one - but it would be nice to have official versions with a proper FFXI look.

I think another great out-of-game facility would be the ability to view and take part in linkshell chat and send/receive tells akin to what has been created by the fabulous Guildwork folk.
    (2)

Character
    Xpress
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 95
    I think SE should make a version of the game to be playable on Ipad/Tab Iphone/HTC/Smartphones. Playing FFXI on the go like this would take this game to a whole new level and be a much better idea of just having apps for differant parts of the game that some people dont waste time in playing. SE could make the version avl on D2D buyable format, give a discount or free to players already playing on FFXI. Just Saying.... Wishlist???
    (0)
    Xpress......

Character
    Rhianu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    As much as I would love to see iPhone apps for FFXI, it's probably never going to happen, simply because the server software is not designed to output data like that.

SE is currently preforming major overhauls to FFXIV's servers for all kinds of stuff, and one of the things they said they wanted the new FFXIV servers to do was be able to output data to external applications, such as iPhone and Android apps, which wasn't possible under the old server architecture.

And since it wasn't possible to output such data under FFXIV's old server architecture, I'm guessing it's probably not possible under FFXI's server architecture, either.

It would be nice if SE did for FFXI what they're doing for FFXIV, but when we take into account the fact that doing so would likely be extremely expensive and time-consuming, and FFXI is almost a decade old with diminishing subscribers, I honestly don't think it would be a worthwhile investment from a business perspective for SE to pour that much time and money into FFXI at this point.

I know it sucks for those of us who still love and play FFXI, but I think we need to wake up and realize that this game is now on permanent cruise-control; we're not ever going to get any more major revisions or changes at this point unless they're very cheap and easy to implement.

FFXI simply isn't where the money is anymore. It's all in FFXIV now.
    (0)
    Last edited by Rhianu; 12-03-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast