Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Fusionx
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Religion in Vana'diel

Today with the post about Adoulin it was revealed that the Sacred City alone has 5 different religions. I'm not deeply religious or anything, but I do love me some lore! I would love to know more about these.

Eimert Church (believers in Altana)
    Church of San d’Oria (believers in Altana)
    Island Animitism
    Taleekeeperism
    Tavnazian (believers in Altana)

Interesting that there are 3 different Altana based relgions.

The only reference to the Eimert Church I've found is on the description of the Winged Plaque- Authorized by the Eimert Church for use in worship of the Dawn Goddess.

Taleekeeperism (perhaps Talekeeperism?) is probably based on the belief of Galkan reincarnation.

Island Animitism sounds like it could be close to Animalism which is the worship of animals. Perhaps this is related to the Naakuals of Ulbuka?

Curious if there is any other info out there on how these religions differ from each other or perhaps SE could poke the FFXI lore guy for us.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusionx View Post
    Church of San d’Oria (believers in Altana)
    Tavnazian (believers in Altana)
    Curious if there is any other info out there on how these religions differ from each other
    Delved into during the Chains of Promathia storyline.
    (3)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    Delved into during the Chains of Promathia storyline.
    IIRC, some of the JP-only sourcebooks have at least given a bit more info, but of course, translation fail.
    (3)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Craftthree
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    I don't want to spoil anything, but I always took the differances in the religions of Altanna as just different points of evolved views by each of these nations because of what timeline they were cut off from the mainstream of thier relgions and the absence of thier goddess. One prime example is Tavnazian being cut off from the mainstream because of the war, so it took another evolved direction then San d'Oria, which had the leadership of the church that used to oversee both San d'Oria and Tavnazian before the war. There was no goddess around telling them what she felt or thought, so they all had to guess what Altanna was thinking of how she wanted them to live and worship her.

There also was little secrets of the truth the church leadership kept from thier members pre war, which also is a good way to have split up the views between San d'Oria and Tavnazian beleifs as seen in the promy missions, where you get to find out the truth and be a part of it.
    (1)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
    One prime example is Tavnazian being cut off from the mainstream because of the war, so it took another evolved direction then San d'Oria
    Except there's already a history of San d'Oria and Tavnazia going to war with each other over religious differences well before the Crystal War. And there's really not much left of the Tavnazian cathedral (or much else) after the war to "evolve."

There was no goddess around telling them what she felt or thought
    Her incarnation lives in Heavens Tower, as any Windurstian can tell you.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Meyi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Don't forget the Tonberry and Uggalepih.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    ^_________________________________________________________________^

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Funny I always thought the Galka took Altana as their god, and the Talekeeper was something else- revered, but not a deity.
    (0)

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusionx View Post
    Taleekeeperism (perhaps Talekeeperism?) is probably based on the belief of Galkan reincarnation.
    I found this kinda funny.
    I mean, it's not like they "believe" in reincarnation, they actually DO REINCARNATE, it's kinda different.
    Is that a religion? Uhm... I never seen it like that until I read it listed as "religion" in the mentioned Adoulin lore page.

Galkas (talekeeper included) do believe in Altana, does talekeeperism allow for multiple religions?

Altough I guess for Altana as well it's not a matter of believing, of "having faith" like in our real world. In Vana'diel Altana does really exist and is a real, tangible entity, even though she has never been seen in the game.
    (0)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhronne View Post
    Altough I guess for Altana as well it's not a matter of believing, of "having faith" like in our real world. In Vana'diel Altana does really exist and is a real, tangible entity, even though she has never been seen in the game.
    Though I am not religious myself, is that not exactly what religion is? The belief of a being of which is super natural and is not ever really seen, but rather believed in? I mean if you take something like Christianity, where there is god, while he speaks to us humans he has never shown a true form of his own. It seems as though Altana is no different, never showing herself, and people believe in her. Surely we adventurers are special, we go on journeys and travels to see many amazing things, but I think not every person in Vana can say they are 100% certain she exists, as they have not had their lives touched in such a way as us adventurers have.

I don't know, just my thoughts on the matter. Seems as though what you described is exactly what religion is, and a massive part of religion in my view is believing, because most people in Vana have not seen real proof that Altana exists in the first place so far as I know.
    (2)

Character
    Kuraire
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I'm with Zhronne here I think reincartion must be viewed as more of a fact within the Galkan community as least.

With Taleekeeperism I'm thinking more on the lines of they believe in a existence of a Talekeeper somewhere in the world. Maybe no Talekeepers have been among the Adoulin population for a long time and with such little contact with the middle lands over the years maybe people there are having to have a little faith that there is one somewhere. There could even be the possibility that a Talekeeper can't be born among them, is there a distinction between Ouschrahd Galka and Zepwell Galka in that respect?
    It could even be a simple scam of someone pretending to be the Talekeeper himself, or even someone saying they have a spiritual connection so can speak for him. Random out on a limb thought, maybe someone is convincing non Galkas they can reincarnate if they believe in Talekeeperism.

I'm really interested in the Island Animitism though, the worship of animals makes sense with with the whole untamed parts of Ulbuka. As Fusionx suggested having people worship Naakuals seems logical. It would be interesting for us since I'm guessing they will be mobs we will be aiming to kill at some point. We might be making a nice chunk of the population a tad annoyed.

Not forgetting there is also a population of Dragoons over in Adoulin and if the one we've met already is anything to go by their Wyverns are a tad more mature than our ones are maybe Island Animitism plays some part in their lives too.
    (1)
    Last edited by Kuraire; 02-27-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast