Character
    Mahoro
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Savlyn View Post
    Hello!

Endgame: Voidwatch drops side grade gear (gear that is not necessary to make your job function well, but gear that will give you a small % of an increase).
    I agree with most of your post, but I take issue with this statement and definition. I'm not saying you did this in your post, but people use the term "sidegrade" a lot to denigrate gear from VW (or Legion). But I don't think they mean what they say. To me, "sidegrade" connotes a piece where you can essentially get most or all of the benefits of the piece from preexisting gear. A perfect example to me is the new Iaso Boots for WHM, a piece that combines 4% cure potency and 12% movement speed. You can achieve capped cure potency from other pieces, and you can achieve 12% movement speed from Herald's Gaiters. Thus, the Iaso Boots are a "sidegrade". Nice if you have them but replicated by other gear setups (well, we don't know its augments I guess, but still!).

You say VW gear gives you a small % of an increase. To me, that isn't a sidegrade. That is a piece that replaces other pieces in a gear setup because it does represent an increase, however small. If you meant that Abyssea gear clearly gives you more bang for your buck than VW, of course I agree with you. But I think people should be more precise. VW gear may not confer as much of an increase as Abyssea gear, but it contains pieces that are clearly "best" for certain functions.
    (1)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Some of the VW gears are worth having and very very good on its own and yeah can replace some of the Abyssea gears. There are reasons some of these VW mobs are constantly being killed over and over But I agree with you, any returning players should try to get at least a set of AF3+1 for a starter. And then can do +2, or even Relic +2 as well for some pieces. There are soooooooo many things to do now, abyssea itself is a content that keeps on giving generously and one of the best one there by far. Voidwatch is fun but can be tedious after awhile when you keep going for 200-300 and keep getting craps.
    (0)

Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Well most of your end game time will be in Abyssea so I suggest these jobs to level whm, blm, war, nin. Cor and pld are good jobs if you want to do VW.
    (0)

Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Also blu for abyssea.
    (0)

Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahoro View Post
    I agree with most of your post, but I take issue with this statement and definition. I'm not saying you did this in your post, but people use the term "sidegrade" a lot to denigrate gear from VW (or Legion). But I don't think they mean what they say. To me, "sidegrade" connotes a piece where you can essentially get most or all of the benefits of the piece from preexisting gear. A perfect example to me is the new Iaso Boots for WHM, a piece that combines 4% cure potency and 12% movement speed. You can achieve capped cure potency from other pieces, and you can achieve 12% movement speed from Herald's Gaiters. Thus, the Iaso Boots are a "sidegrade". Nice if you have them but replicated by other gear setups (well, we don't know its augments I guess, but still!).

You say VW gear gives you a small % of an increase. To me, that isn't a sidegrade. That is a piece that replaces other pieces in a gear setup because it does represent an increase, however small. If you meant that Abyssea gear clearly gives you more bang for your buck than VW, of course I agree with you. But I think people should be more precise. VW gear may not confer as much of an increase as Abyssea gear, but it contains pieces that are clearly "best" for certain functions.
    VW gear is situational at best unless you're talking about the weapons but Empyreans are better and you can probably farm them faster.
    (0)

Character
    Mahoro
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I wasn't just talking about the weapons. Some of the pieces themselves are superior or "best-in-slot" for certain functions.
    (0)

As far as weapons are concerned, Magian Swords are good to get (STR, MAcc, VIT will work well if you don't have the patience or desire for the Almace). I cannot speak reliably on Magian staves since I've only done the Avatar legs of the trials, But I'd say flip a coin between MAcc and MAtk depending on what you want to do most. Otherwise, get the HQ level 51 staves if you don't already have them. They're dirt cheap these days compared to when you left.

By all means, get your Estoqueur's gear to +1 and +2 whenever you can. Any other melee gear you can find will do for soloing purposes. Also look into organizing or getting into a Yaanei party. The Estoqueur's Cape it drops is well worth the effort.

More than anything, don't buy into the garbage that passes for conventional wisdom on these and other forums. Red Mage is nowhere near useless and is still a good job to have in a group.
    (0)
    Hayward: Cerberus-San d'Oria

5/5 +1: Cirque [4/5], Tantra [4/5], Ferine [4/5], Estoqueur's [1/5], Sylvan, Navarch's [1/5], Savant's, Orison [1/5], Charis [2/5]

5/5 +2: Creed, Caller's, Unkai, Iga, Raider's, Lancer's, Mavi, Ravager's, Goetia, Bale, Aoidos'

Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahoro View Post
    I wasn't just talking about the weapons. Some of the pieces themselves are superior or "best-in-slot" for certain functions.
    I don't do VW much but I haven't seen a sinlge piece of gear that I would use over my af3+2 for nin, mnk, whm, blm, war, or brd: the main jobs that I play. I have seen the abjuration pieces and people say those are good but I can't find any info on those.
    (0)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by svengalis View Post
    Also blu for abyssea.
    Blue is great for abyssea and voidwatch as well - hard to find one and always needed.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2