Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Myefoo
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 37
    Dont go in burn party's when your new at the game and your skills arned capt,that makes your future game play useless.
    Specialy when you want to fight on lvl 50 a lvl 40 mob while your weapon skill is 35.

Just try to get duo party's with the books than you have good exp and also good skill ups,the lvl'ing dont have to go super fast.
    A couple of years ago before the books and the burn party's we where happy to get half a lvl in a 3 hour party and now people only want fast fast fast in every game.
    When you play FFXI you have to do it becouse you enjoy to play this game,at least thats my opinion(thats proberble also the reason why i solo most of the time).
    (0)

Character
    Khajit
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Myefoo View Post
    Dont go in burn party's when your new at the game and your skills arned capt,that makes your future game play useless.
    Specialy when you want to fight on lvl 50 a lvl 40 mob while your weapon skill is 35.

Just try to get duo party's with the books than you have good exp and also good skill ups,the lvl'ing dont have to go super fast.
    A couple of years ago before the books and the burn party's we where happy to get half a lvl in a 3 hour party and now people only want fast fast fast in every game.
    When you play FFXI you have to do it becouse you enjoy to play this game,at least thats my opinion(thats proberble also the reason why i solo most of the time).
    Fortilaces in the past while asleep to skill to cap blah blah aka everything you posted was irrelevant.

Also a little tip for people that didnt know if it already.
    http://www.ffxiah.com/shouts
    You never have to wait for shouts in town again unless you just feel like being in town.
    (0)
    Last edited by Khajit; 01-01-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Aurore gear is fine for leveling until you get your af3+1 or better, the fact is you are a noob now, returning player or not. Your gil status and gear status is that of a noob, and while you shouldnt play like a noob you should definitly conserve your gil and spend it wisely, hence not wasting it on gear that will be replaced soon and using the perle, teal, and aurore at 78. For the amount of money it costs to buy, the amount of money you get back when you sell it, and for the level and it's easy availablity to all new players and those who dont have decent gear or gil, THERE IS NONE BETTER at 78, period. It's not like your going to jump into a great gear set at that level without investing time or resources, so this is the best option and gives you more time to do things you need at the 78+ bench mark, like xp and do missions. Screw what people think, your not gonna be stuck wearing it forever. Why would you waste your gil on something that your going to replace soon anyway, dont spend your gil on gear that is going to get replaced in 5-10 levels.

Just get a decent weapon for every ten or so levels, until you hit 95. Like I said, consider the magian trials as soon as you hit 75 and work on one of those. Work on your af3+1/2, af2+1/2, see what cheap gear is on the AH for jobs 95+. That is were you want to spend money on gear, 95+, not on gear under 95, unless that gear is still useful/affordable alternative at 95+.

As for bb, its going to costs about 4.5-5.5m gil on my server to purchase all three items from mercanaries (1.5m for behemoth tongue, and 1.5-2m each for the other two items, 2m is reasonable, this is an idea how much you should be paying, at least on my server so don't pay too much more on yours, and dont trade gil first until item drops and make sure you can trust the people doing the bcnm for you to buy the rae/ex from). So yes, that's in your future once you start npc'ing cruor from abyssea, no your not going to jump into gear better than aurore right off the bat without a sponser. I've been playing for years and I have under 1000 kindred crests, so doing the bcnm and thinking you are going to get your bb that way is complete bull, now that kindred seals are useally replaced by kindred crests and high kindred crests. Back in the day, you'd have over 1000 kindred seals from xp pt, today you'll have over a 1000 kindred crests instead from your xp pt. It's just the way things work.
    (0)
    Last edited by Concerned4FFxi; 01-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard
    The reason I keep coming back to XI as opposed to other MMOs is because of the content's lastability. While it is true that many pieces are outdated with each patch, to this day there are many old pieces of gear that are still near top-tier if not the top-tier. It encourages you to explore the whole breadth of content rather than asking you to bumrush and bypass all the old content just so you can grind the newer content. This is a model used by other MMOs such as WoW, and while I don't have anything against people that enjoy this model, if I wanted to play an MMO with that model there are many, many games vast superior to XI in terms of mechanics and especially customer service that offer such a model.

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Also, you dont need to listen to people complaining about you not gettinmg fast xp, they just want you to do it the old way like they did. I say get the xp fast. You can always go back and skill up solo, duo, trio, whatever and learn your job better and cap your skills as you earn merit points for your job/stats/and other things.

Fact is, at 70 you are gonna have to stop xping and cap skills anyway if you want to beat maat, so you can take this break from xp to skill up while you farm your testimony, besides, when you can't get an xp pt there's the time to solo and skill up. Once you are able to level in abyssea you will cap your skills there.

HOWEVER, DO NOT go xp with people and be extremely under cap. This is what the previuos poster was speaking of, that's one reason they said not to burn your job. In other words, don't offer your services to an xp pt or a af3 seal farm if your level is 95, but your weapon skill level is that of a 75. This is unacceptable. What I did is I burnt a job to 20 levels or whatever, then I go and I skill up solo till I'm close to cap, or at a reasaonable skill level and understanding of my job so I can contribute to a higher level xp pt. Then, and only then, do I join xp pts at or around my level and offer that job.

The fear some players have is you will be a noob who doesn't know how to play your job correctly, I suggest that you read the wiki, especially the section pertaining to you job. In it there are a few player written guides on the specific job you want to play, read them, use the techniques discussed. Most are outdated now, but it's a good start for understanding one's job. Don't worry, after years of play I still learn various tweaks to my jobs, all 20 of them. It's never too late to learn something new.
    (0)
    Last edited by Concerned4FFxi; 01-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    The reason I keep coming back to XI as opposed to other MMOs is because of the content's lastability. While it is true that many pieces are outdated with each patch, to this day there are many old pieces of gear that are still near top-tier if not the top-tier. It encourages you to explore the whole breadth of content rather than asking you to bumrush and bypass all the old content just so you can grind the newer content. This is a model used by other MMOs such as WoW, and while I don't have anything against people that enjoy this model, if I wanted to play an MMO with that model there are many, many games vast superior to XI in terms of mechanics and especially customer service that offer such a model.

Character
    Khajit
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned4FFxi View Post
    Some of what khajit says is true, some is complete bs. Aurore gear is fine for leveling until you get your af3+1 or better, the fact is you are a noob now, returning player or not. Your gil status and gear status is that of a noob, and while you shouldnt play like a noob you should definitly conserve your gil and spend it wisely, hence not wasting it on gear that will be replaced soon and using the perle, teal, and aurore at 78. For the amount of money it costs to buy, the amount of money you get back when you sell it, and for the level and it's easy availablity to all new players and those who dont have decent gear or gil, THERE IS NONE BETTER at 78, period. It's not like your going to jump into a great gear set at that level without investing time or resources, so this is the best option and gives you more time to do things you need at the 78+ bench mark, like xp and do missions. Screw what people think, your not gonna be stuck wearing it forever. Why would you waste your gil on something that your going to replace soon anyway. He obviously doesnt read well, but i hope you got what i was saying, rather than waste your gil on gear that you are going outgrow in a week or two, spend too much for because your new and broke; dont spend your gil on gear that is going to get replaced in 5-10 levels.

Just get a decent weapon for every ten or so levels, until you hit 95. Like I said, consider the magian trials as soon as you hit 75 and work on one of those. Work on your af3+1/2, af2+1/2, see what cheap gear is on the AH for jobs 95+. That is were you want to spend money on gear, 95+, not on gear under 95, unless that gear is still useful/affordable alternative at 95+.

As for bb, its going to costs about 4.5-5.5m gil on my server to purchase all three items from mercanaries (1.5m for behemoth tongue, and 1.5-2m each for the other two items, 2m is reasonable, this is an idea how much you should be paying, at least on my server so don't pay too much more on yours, and dont trade gil first until item drops and make sure you can trust the people doing the bcnm for you to buy the rae/ex from). So yes, that's in your future once you start npc'ing cruor from abyssea, no your not going to jump into gear better than aurore right off the bat without a sponser. I've been playing for years and I have under 1000 kindred crests, so doing the bcnm and thinking you are going to get your bb that way is complete bullshit, now that kindred seals are useally replaced by kindred crests and high kindred crests. Back in the day, you'd have over 1000 kindred seals from xp pt, today you'll have over a 1000 kindred crests instead from your xp pt. It's just the way things work.

Like I said, some of what he said is good, the other is just unreasonable as he didnt offer an alternative or consider your starting point is ground zero.
    Except it's all perfectly possible for a noob to do. The main obstacle was that he'she didn't know the option existed in the first place. Lets say that npcing all the misc items+ weapons from dom ops gave about 200k cruor. It's probably alot more but eh. that's 500k in gil when used with blinkers right off the bat before getting into all the gil earned via npcing dom ops weapons and misc npcables from the parties and the pop items to sell.
    But lets just say 500k for now. The kyahan cost about 70k on ah. Then get resold at lv 72 for sune ate. Net loss of 5~6k that beats noob aurore and doesn't make other players tremble in fear.

Brisk mask= free if you have friends or just ask one of the people killing and/or shouting to buy pops in pj if you can tag along. It is 1 level higher than the "much vaunted" aurore beret and for the simple effort involved in asking nicely we have a net GAIN of gil due to the cruor dropped when the NM dies + a lunar abyssite. Walmart is 20 imp gold coins which translates to max 160k which is less gil than would be made from simply leveling and npcing items before even beating maat if she really wanted to have something to wear pre brisk .

Thew bomblet 20k or free if just killed directly. Let's go with bought i guess.

Ziel charm= free and gives acc when skills are far behind until it's time to buy a rancor after saving up. Those were suggested to get some practive but we have spectacles for 20k in AH. Faith torque probably wont drop but the instant you're at lv 80 with capped skills/decent gear with a mage helper the entire battle becomes laughable. in addition it's still very good depending on h2h skill/gear so as far as current gear stands it's not outdated.
    My goodness if no cruor was npced from the glaviod we've lost 45k so far. Truly we're going to become broke soon.
    Earrings can be some coral since newb. Brutal is on the todo list because it never geats beaten for tp still but can be farmed via soloing limbus while free over time.

Body. Aurore actually is decent here bravo. buy it for 20k. Turul isn't that hard to kill and having proper atma onyl makes it easier so we have a free option here too. Drop rate sucks but isn't ultra horrid presuming there was proper skilling up done.

so far that's 65k
    Hands put us at 75k since they're actually good until empy+1

sniper's ring are 10~25k in ah. There are other similar options but im too lazy to look em up atm. Rajas will be easy to zerg for eventually but counting both snipers @25k that's 125k out of 500k so far. The other suggestion aka eponas was something to aim for because it would be remiss to tell a person what to get without telling them what the stuff that's actually the best option is. Especially since this is the type of item a newbie would actually overlook the most.

Forager's mantle is 10k in AH,

135k so far.

Belt. I suggested going out and camping. it's 400k in Ah for reference

legs.
    B haidate. NOT HARD. 2 people helping. kill some monsters for diorite while getting bonus skillups. Have your freinds kill despot. Then usea silent oil and kill byakko. Since SE made sky mobs drop multiple pops now we might have 2x byakko. Byakko lasts about 2 minutes when I fought it last and only because perfect dodge existed. make scraps from the seals for synergy or if not going the synergy route just scrap it anyway and sell the parts. Make the abjurations into tatters as well. There's not much reason why a newbie wouldn't want to see some missions done so a little time aside to work on zilart missions isn't unreasonable.

less than a day's worth of effort and you're swimming in noob dollars.

End result. 135k spent on all of that minimum wage gear without making people(that don't suck) afraid to pt with you from all the aurore. nearly 400k is left making brown belt easily buyable with a tiny smidge of effort
    You actually earn more gil than that doing regular missions for rank 10. I dont see any reason to tell a person to purposely suck when they can easily wear something alot better easily.
    Then there's the bcnm loot. Utsu ni is 1.3 mil and drops fast. There's PLENTY of gil to be found for even new players. There should be some basic guides lying about the forums for newbies. And please remember haste> all gearwise for tping until you hit 25~26% aka the gear cap on haste
    (0)

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    great post, but completing cop in of itself is going to take days. I like your plan, i think it will help others, but at some point a new player, mnk in this case, is going to be wearing pink theres no way around it, while he/she does cop, while they gather the pt for glavoid or camp the ???, while they are xping, and hope they can get an invite for the clear off some empyrean weapon poeple's kill. You have detailed a great plan for a new mnk's future, ill use this post you have there as a reference for future players leveling monks, I still say he/she is going to be wearing mostly pink for awhile until they complete your steps.

PS: i edited down my tone and I apoligize, I read your post incorrectly the first time, sorry. Also, I apreciate you offering the alternative, and I'm sure any new mnk here does too. I just cant see new players going into sea or sky and farming it successfully as easily as an experienced player would, that's why I suggest aurore gear. Most new players want to xp to cap first, then go back and do storylines and missions, sky, cop, etc. So while they are xping to cap, they will be wearing the abyssea aurore gear, etc. It's a logical first step of many baby steps.
    (0)
    Last edited by Concerned4FFxi; 01-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2