Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: A new race

Ah and let's think about this: why would they rather "break" the game by putting in all this item-level gear with the Adoulin expansion than just find a way to add a new race to the expansion? They had to do (still have to) so much work before and after they might have actually had less trouble in the long run. Think about it.
    (0)

Ugh and yes I know at 99 it shouldn't matter stat wise but most still prefer a 99 galka tank over a 99 tarutaru tank and stuff like that, wrong but it still happens.
    (0)

Character
    Loire
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    regardless, if you've ever worked on development for a game...a race is nothing big, and the art team needs something to do regardless, manthra to me seems easy and plausible, development team could still work on further developing the game, they wouldn't lose any resources on putting out a race.
    (0)

Oh and before I forget yes the lizard race looks awesome man, heck they should've put them in instead of the Galka, sorry Galkans but they look waaay cooler.
    (1)

Character
    Loire
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    haha yeah i agree, that would have been cool, seems like a race outa aht urgan
    (0)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by L0IRE View Post
    regardless, if you've ever worked on development for a game...a race is nothing big, and the art team needs something to do regardless, manthra to me seems easy and plausible, development team could still work on further developing the game, they wouldn't lose any resources on putting out a race.
    I think you have no idea how the current armor and weapon DATs are handled in FFXI, each Armor consists of 5 different models (in some cases more when the female version is different from the male) for just 1 piece of armor (thats accounted for 1 model for each different race) and thats only for 1 SLOT, not for all 5 equipment slots. you cant compare inclusion of new races in FFXI to other games like WoW, the games are built totally differently from the grounds up. I say it again, for a new FFXI race you would need to add a new armor model for EACH allready existing Armor and weapon (this is allready huge and a bigger time restrain in FFXI then compared to WoW or so), then you have to add animation for normal attacks followed for EACH weaponskills (since there are differences between races too in some WSs), Magic Casting, Ability, Emotes. The biggest time restraint is again, the remodeling of existing Armors and Weapons. This is wasted Dev time that could go to something that is more fun, like new events.

The undertakeing of somethign like this, would be like creating a new expansion from the grounds up. and would take 2 years or more to be done in FFXI. You would need to change everything from graphics, to options where Race/gender is an option or variable in cutscenes/texts etc to everything else. its NOT worth it.
    (2)
    Last edited by Damane; 01-30-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    Oh and before I forget yes the lizard race looks awesome man, heck they should've put them in instead of the Galka, sorry Galkans but they look waaay cooler.
    Well in all honesty thats what they are statistically, they have bad magic capabilities compared to other races, though this is due to their speech being weird and making it hard to pronounce cantations properly, but besides that they are physically the best at taking hits and one of, if not the strongest races in FFXII. That basically fits Galkas who suck at magic, are the second strongest in STR, but have the best VIT and HP.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    I think you have no idea how the current armor and weapon DATs are handled in FFXI, each Armor consists of 5 different models (in some cases more when the female version is different from the male) for just 1 piece of armor (thats accounted for 1 model for each different race) and thats only for 1 SLOT, not for all 5 equipment slots.
    This is why to do it they would have to make armor for just that race, it would be less time taking than changing all of the armor in the game. At the same time, it would also be very bad for many things since it would be harder to get a piece of gear for just your race and you end up more likely to get the wrong drop from fights, so on. I mean it sounds cool when you don't know what would have to be done to make it work, the more you know and the more you think about it the more you see it just can, but will not, and should not happen to this game.
    (0)

Character
    Loire
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    I think you have no idea how the current armor and weapon DATs are handled in FFXI, each Armor consists of 5 different models (in some cases more when the female version is different from the male) for just 1 piece of armor (thats accounted for 1 model for each different race) and thats only for 1 SLOT, not for all 5 equipment slots. you cant compare inclusion of new races in FFXI to other games like WoW, the games are built totally differently from the grounds up. I say it again, for a new FFXI race you would need to add a new armor model for EACH allready existing Armor and weapon (this is allready huge and a bigger time restrain in FFXI then compared to WoW or so), then you have to add animation for normal attacks followed for EACH weaponskills (since there are differences between races too in some WSs), Magic Casting, Ability, Emotes. The biggest time restraint is again, the remodeling of existing Armors and Weapons. This is wasted Dev time that could go to something that is more fun, like new events.

The undertakeing of somethign like this, would be like creating a new expansion from the grounds up. and would take 2 years or more to be done in FFXI. You would need to change everything from graphics, to options where Race/gender is an option or variable in cutscenes/texts etc to everything else. its NOT worth it.
    hmm no i have no idea what a dat. file is this is 2014 please educate me, I'm quite aware of what it takes, and how many dat. files there are for 1 piece, still dosnt change my standing on the difficulty of putting in a new race, didnt say it was worth doing, cause theyre lazy as far as other developments go with theyre updates so a race is way overhead, if you read, i said it "could" be done, not that they would.
    (0)

Character
    Twille
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by L0IRE View Post
    hmm no i have no idea what a dat. file is this is 2014 please educate me, I'm quite aware of what it takes, and how many dat. files there are for 1 piece, still dosnt change my standing on the difficulty of putting in a new race, didnt say it was worth doing, cause theyre lazy as far as other developments go with theyre updates so a race is way overhead, if you read, i said it "could" be done, not that they would.
    every single piece of armor comes from a .dat file in the FFXI folder of your PC. seperate .dat files are needed for each race, since their body build is cosmetically different. So, the lvl 17 lizard armor body piece actually has 5 .dat files somewhere, one for each race. Sometimes, the armor looks differently on men than women, meaning there are actually 8 .dat files for that one piece of armor. This is not limited to armor either, weapons require different .dats per race, since a Taru and Elvaan visually would't be using the same size sword/club whatever.

Now, as far as adding a new race to the game...every single piece of equipment in the entire game would need to have a new .dat file created to accommodate the new race. Let that sink in for a second....EVERY piece. Go look at the AH for a second and realize just how much work that would be. Now double it, since this new race would more than likely have a male and female. That is FAR too much work for the FFXI Dev team when there is already so much on their plate.
    (1)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast