Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhronne View Post
    I found this kinda funny.
    I mean, it's not like they "believe" in reincarnation, they actually DO REINCARNATE, it's kinda different.
    Old galkas go away, young galkas shows up, with no memories of the old galkas. The Talekeeper says they're reincarnated from the old one. The Talekeeper knows this because the Talekeeper says so.

And nobody here has seen the top of Revelation Rock, if that's even where this "reincarnation" really happens.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Greetings scholars and theologists of Vana’diel!

We managed to grab a hold of the lore team to get some insight into the information regarding religion that was found in the recently posted "The Sacred City of Adoulin."

While it might seem that Animitism is close to Animalism, it is actually referring to the Animist religion that is found across the continent of Ulbuka.

Long ago, the people who inhabited Ulbuka spoke of the existence of a mysterious power found on the continent known as Ergon. Their belief was that elementals inhabited the plants, earth, lakes, air, and everything that makes up the continent. With that said, Animitism has no direct relation to the Naakuals of Ulbuka. One interesting thing to note is that the Mithra from the Gha Naboh Matriarchate in the south also have a very similar belief system.

Also, in regards to Talekeeperism, this is a kind of philosophy that only Galka embrace, and is somewhat different from an actual religion.
    (18)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Though I am not religious myself, is that not exactly what religion is? The belief of a being of which is super natural and is not ever really seen, but rather believed in?
    It's a bit different here.
    I mean, we have ultranatural entities that talk about Altana, not just a book written by human beings, and other human beings claiming to have seen miracles.
    If you see Vana'diel reality as a dicotomy between Good (Altana) and Evil (Promathia) you can compare that to the christian view of God and Devil.
    Thing is in our world nobody has ever been able to demonstrate wether any of the two exists, or doesn't exist.
    In Vana'diel you actually DO FIGHT against Promathia, which is another god just like Altana. Like Yin and Yang.
    If one exists it's pretty much likely the other does too and it's not just a myth made up by humans.

That's what I meant with the subtle difference, but yeah, of course you're very right and there are a lot of similarities with religions in the real world.

Still I can't help but find it funny to consider Talkeeperism a religion. I mean, culture? Tribal folklore? But they do not "believe" in reincarnation, they DO reincarnate. If anything they believe in Altana like 99% of living beigns in Vana'diel, so yeah, it's a bit strange to talk about Talekeeperism as if it's a religion.
    It's a social-cultural heritage of a minority lol, not a religion in my view.
    (1)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Also, in regards to Talekeeperism, this is kind of philosophy that only Galka embrace, and is somewhat different from an actual religion.
    ^!!
    Exactely what I meant

Thanks for the insight Camate ^^
    (0)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Character
    Phaffi
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    This thread needs more Fernehalwes.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhronne View Post
    If you see Vana'diel reality as a dicotomy between Good (Altana) and Evil (Promathia) you can compare that to the christian view of God and Devil.
    Thing is in our world nobody has ever been able to demonstrate wether any of the two exists, or doesn't exist.
    In Vana'diel you actually DO FIGHT against Promathia, which is another god just like Altana. Like Yin and Yang.
    If one exists it's pretty much likely the other does too and it's not just a myth made up by humans.
    Thats part of what I meant though, that fight in particular for instance, we fought Promathia, lore wise a single adventurer and a few friends fought Promathia, but no one else really knows. An adventurer going around saying they fought and killed the Twilight god would be like me going around my neighborhood telling everyone that last week I fought and killed the Devil. Its something you have no proof of, that at best you and 10 other people know about because they were there. Basically we know Altana is real, we know Promathia is real, between CoP and WotG I believe both of those are confirmed, however to the rest of the normal inhabitants of Vana, they have never seen these things, so they cant say for sure it does.
    (0)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    While it might seem that Animitism is close to Animalism, it is actually referring to the Animist religion that is found across the continent of Ulbuka.

Long ago, the people who inhabited Ulbuka spoke of the existence of a mysterious power found on the continent known as Ergon. Their belief was that elementals inhabited the plants, earth, lakes, air, and everything that makes up the continent. With that said, Animitism has no direct relation to the Naakuals of Ulbuka. One interesting thing to note is that the Mithra from the Gha Naboh Matriarchate in the south also have a very similar belief system.
    Why do I see this as a setup to add the job Animist (from Tactics Advanced & Tactics A2) down the line?
    (0)

Character
    Kuraire
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    This is interesting, i'm guessing then that native Geomancers would be the ones that mainly follow this religion. But if so do they see Geomancy more akin to Summoning magic (channeling a living spirit) than to just black or even blue magic (conjuring or replicating a force of nature).

(PS. I'm doubly happy to see the Gha Naboh Matriarchate get a mention, I still want to go visit there.)
    (0)

Character
    Yru
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Sounds a lot like Conjury in FFXIV.
    (0)

Character
    Metaking
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Thats part of what I meant though, that fight in particular for instance, we fought Promathia, lore wise a single adventurer and a few friends fought Promathia, but no one else really knows. An adventurer going around saying they fought and killed the Twilight god would be like me going around my neighborhood telling everyone that last week I fought and killed the Devil. Its something you have no proof of, that at best you and 10 other people know about because they were there. Basically we know Altana is real, we know Promathia is real, between CoP and WotG I believe both of those are confirmed, however to the rest of the normal inhabitants of Vana, they have never seen these things, so they cant say for sure it does.
    you could take that one step further and point out from what we learn in cop, and actually hearing memorie da stona, that what the church in san teaches is a lie, also @Zhronne its hard to call promy evil when love is a chain, and all he wanted was for Altana to remain free
    (1)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast