Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

Alliance content isn't fun

This games combat system does not function and completely falls apart in alliance content. In alliances, the game turns into 90% of people standing around doing nothing while the remaining 10% are on damage dealers mashing 1 Weapon skill over and over. You cannot use the only fun and interesting part of the games combat, skillchains, inside of an alliance because you gain TP too fast to multistep with 3+ damage dealers. It turns the game into the WORST combat system in a MMO. There is no thought, no skill, no rotation, simply hitting 1 button while the majority of people stand around afk doing nothing. It's incredibly boring.

There's also the fact that in alliances, you need 1 tank per 18 people, while in parties, you need 1 tank per 6 people. This makes it so only a very, very few people are able to play tanks.

In smaller parties, you can skillchain, your supports don't just stand around - they can heal after buffing and replace the White mage entirely or contribute damage and be in the skillchain with your damage dealer. Skillchaining is very fun, an efficient way of dealing damage, and takes teamwork and strategy(not a lot, but more than mashing 1 weapon skill over and over) to pull off. It's exciting and feels good to and satisfying to work together and never mess up a skillchain.

However, you're now designing content only for aliances. Dynamis D, and especially wave3, is VERY clearly designed for alliances.

The games combat works and is the only teamwork based MMO combat inside of ~6 person parties. Why would you completely abandon your games unique combat system by designing content for alliances only?

This games player base is already incredibly small, and I'd be impressed if more than 30 people per server can kill the megabosses in Dynamis D, which is around ~3% of the games player base.

Do you really think it's a good idea to use your incredibly limited development time to create content for less than 5% of the games player base? I don't think so.

You are taking the game in a very, very bad direction. You tried this with delve and nearly killed off your game, why are you making the same mistake? Re-think what you're doing, and stop designing content for alliances, design it for 6 man parties again. You did this with omen and ambu, why did you randomly stop? The road you're taking this game down is very bad for the game and not enjoyable for most of the players.

Do not release the update in september, completely revamp it and change dyna-D into 6 man content you "can" bring alliances to, but only if "you" want, DON'T make it mandatory, as you're doing right now. Alliance content is bad.
    (2)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    You are taking the game in a very, very bad direction.

Personal opinion and preferences.

Alliance content is good for the community because it prevents small elite gorup/clique type of endgame "linkshell" with 4 real people and 8 mules clearing everything, then keep the LS size small to maximize drops. Look at some of the small group recruitment post on AH.com:

Need nirvana/epeo/idris. Need multiple jobs geared at elite level, must have mules, only roll with 9 but no more than 9. The list goes on.

Now THAT is bad for the community, because only 5% of players can join endgame LS like that. Everyone else thats not THAT elite left out.

Now that alliance contents are out, I look forward to endgame linkshell start recruiting more people and take lesser geared/more casual players into endgame community.
    (6)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    yeah need epeo when it's worse than aettir against every NM in the game besides like 3
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I personally have avoided alliance content whenever possible since 2005.

I joined a /shout Ohat run, and I had bst75 and whm75, so of course I was going WHM. We had to get 18 hats and of course my hat was last. I spent like 12 hours having a dozen DD screaming "Paralyna!" and "Cure!" at me, all at the same time.

And we got hats for the first 15 people and then suddenly they all remembered they had to go for important appointments, or their dog was suddenly very sick and had to go to the veterinarian. So I didn't get my hat, but I did get a Stereo Migraine on both sides of my head for about three days.

That was actually the last alliance I remember going to. Anyway, the week after that, I took my bst75 and went with four of my bst75 friends, and we farmed 5 clusters and 5 hats in an evening, with just five person party. It was fun. Charm the eyes, throw them at Haku, <Run away!> and keep stoneskin and blink up at all times. Happy memories.

It is hard to be a WHM in alliances, or at least it was in those days. When you are six people, the WHM can keep track of who needs what, who to prioritise, etc. In Alliance, it is more chaotic imho.

Also, I didn't like alliance because of the Lag, it makes my head hurt, and it wrecks my poor little Personal Computer.

Normal party size is less Lag, and just feels more natural to me. There is a party rhythm, an equilibrium, the party becomes like one person, instinctively knowing what works best and at what times. This is what I loved about the old XP/Merit Points parties, which were the backbone and soul of FFXI, until recent years.

My happiest parties have been three-man pet runs, with three bst or three pup. I had so many awesome adventures with three-man pet runs. I also like to solo on Bst and Pup, but it is always more fun to team up with other bsts and pups.

I think it important to remember that this game is designed to appeal to everyone, and some people love the alliance battles, with the whole Blunt Instrument, cudgel-bashing approach.

Some people love 18-man, some people love 6-man, some people love 3-man, and some people love to solo. Some people like all of those, or a combination of those.

When something is alliance-only , I generally won't do it, so that means I won't have that gear.

I would rather go and try to 3-man something less difficult, with my best friends. But I still hope that other people, who enjoy alliance content, will have fun, because FFXI is for everyone.
    (5)

Character
    Kishr
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    When people figure out the best way to do it, ammount of people needed will become less.
    I'm feeling your dissatisfied with nearly every concept the developers made for this game.
    Why are you still playing it?
    Go find a corner of vanadiel your comfortable with and enjoy it there.
    I personally don't have issues with much of the game outside insane Alex grind and the last 3 nm grinds for emp.
    Outside that I like the current system and flow the game is in and has became.
    If your not happy, there loads of other FF's or other rpg or just loads of games in general to play instead of a game you keep to feel the need to complain about.
    (4)

Player
    Even if you don't like alliance content like Divergence, you can still benefit from it. Just entering on a job unlocks the +2 upgrade for that zone, and only need 3x ppl to enter.

I only managed to do it twice early on, but it's also possible to lowman farm by disbanding inside and calling Trusts. XD The downside to this is that the loot/claim is not zone-wide (like Legion.. gawd, I wish it was like this..) so each "party" gets it's own loot/drops and don't share claim of monsters, so there has to be some trust between players if you're planning to split the loot afterwards and have to be very careful on pulls. The more successful of those runs was... RUN / SCH+GEO / BLM+BST, with the SCH and BST both making self-SC for MBs on trash, then we joined back up for the boss. Barely squeaked it out in time, but we did get the midboss down. ^^ Then immediately got splattered by Wave2 off a bad pull. lol The point being that it is possible to get most of the benefits w/o dealing w/ large PUGs, as long as you have well-geared (not necessarily BIS, just appropriate for the clvl,) friends who are willing to experiment and have the right job combos.

ALL of the new loot from Wave3 is sellable/buyable on the AH, except the points earned towards the upcoming DREAM weapon augments. If you want your "Ultimate Weapon" to become more "ultimate", then you must do the current "ultimate" content yourself. I'd say that's actually pretty fair.
    (2)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Another problem on the subject of alliances is the two tier server problem.

We have people on servers here who would struggle to probably even put a 6 man party together, let alone 18 on their server.

Then we have Asura which won't have so much of a problem with alliance creation.
    (1)

Character
    Justuas
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post

We have people on servers here who would struggle to probably even put a 6 man party together, let alone 18 on their server.

Then we have Asura which won't have so much of a problem with alliance creation.
    The op is in Bahamut. I wonder if they can even get enough people for alliance.
    (0)

Character
    Kishr
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    That's a valid point Sirmarki.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kishr; 07-10-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    yeah need epeo when it's worse than aettir against every NM in the game besides like 3
    Do you seriously own the weapon, or do you just listen to a few forum people's opinion who doesn't own epeo?

I know multiple epeo owners who also own Aettir, not one single of them choose aettir over epeo for 95% of tanking situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Justuas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishr View Post
    That's a valid point Sirmarki.
    And Asura fanboys strikes again, they seem to lurk on every forum, every discussion, take every chances to yell and scream "can't find groups on small servers" when it's not anywhere close to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Justuas View Post

Just FYI, Bahamut got the world first on wave 3 boss clears, with an alliance of 18 people. Despite 2 people are alts they actually had the resources to create 18 people with real human player. Just that being a social/endgame hybrid LS some new/returning player without appropriate gear had to sit out for ilv 149 content progression.

So yes, it's entirely possible to create a full alliance, even if you're not on Asura.

AFAIK, the OP is in a ls with capped member as well, and I offered several opportunity to get them into existing big endgame groups. Just that OP prefers lowman content instead of alliances. If you think OP's complaint about alliance content is because they are on a small server and unable to find people, you are very, very wrong. It's 100% their personal preference and their choice, which is fine. Although I personally don't think lowman content is good for the community and it's nice to have some variety.
    (2)
    Last edited by Afania; 07-10-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast