Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Character
    Windblade
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vold View Post
    If they ever dropped PS2 I would demand a graphical update first thing. That's a Vana'diel I want to see in the future. But seriously the PS2 can't last for as long as FFXI... systems die eventually. Sony can't support the darn thing forever. So eventually they are going to have to make a choice. Drop PS2 or FFXI. It'd be a damn shame to drop FFXI without testing peoples will to play by making them jump to PC. Toss subscribers on PS2 a free PC download and see how it goes. And be all like, look, if you guys jump ship to the PC, we'll update this game to something better. It cannot hurt to try. I bet most if not all of the FFXI player base are packing computers that can run this game, and if they aren't then daaaaaamn I thought I had it rough.
    I've actually held on to my subscription to FFXI beyond my frustration point with the whole mess....taking so long to level solo (I like fighting solo and don't want to have to join a party to get a million experience points in one day in Abyssea) and I'm sick and tired of being punished for being a loner in the game compared to some other players. I'm okay with occasional duos or trios, but I don't want to have to depend on them for fast experience gains.

So I'm hoping for a time when FFXI is no longer a money-maker as an online game. Then I'm hoping SE will make one final revamp to the whole game, making it more like a real offline Final Fantasy game where you can level fast, get all crafts to Lv.100. The game options should include a solo option to make everything solo-able if you want. And there should also be an option to have a party of NPCs which you can program with gambits... have your tank provoke every 30 seconds, have him programmed to cure himself when he hits yellow HP. Have your NPC WHM programmed to cure the tank when his HP hits orange, have your RDM programmed to keep enfeebles up, etc...

I'll miss the living online community of gamers, but honestly I'm so tired of depending on the availability, whims and limitations of other players when trying to get things accomplished in this game. Having spent nearly $2,000 since 2005 on subscription fees, plus the cost of the games and expansions themselves, I'd like to think SE would do this one last thing so we can continue playing after the game is no longer online. I just imagine that there are lots of people who never played it BECAUSE it was an online game. I didn't play it at first because of that very reason, but I have never regretted joining the game.

I've told people in my linkshells that I think experience gains should be doubled yet again, and crafting skill ups should be more frequent. People have replied: "No, that would make it too easy!" Yet those people never complain when experience yields are raised. I just point out: "Okay, then suggest SE makes gear you can equip that cuts your experience gains in half and use that to make YOUR game more difficult. I'm tired of spending my life trying to get things done in FFXI, and I'm nowhere near being through all the quests and missions, even after 390 days of play time, not to mention leveling crafts.

So there we go... I'm ready to take my game offline, just as soon as SE offers the option, even if it means I can't play online anymore.
    (0)

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Windblade View Post
    even after 390 days of play time
    390 days of played time after playing for 6 years? You sir are what is known as "casual", you're not meant to complete the game or get all the best gear. It's an MMO, not a single player game.

"Offline play" will never happen for technical reasons. It's good to dream, though.
    (0)

Character
    Windblade
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazusu View Post
    390 days of played time after playing for 6 years? You sir are what is known as "casual", you're not meant to complete the game or get all the best gear. It's an MMO, not a single player game.

"Offline play" will never happen for technical reasons. It's good to dream, though.
    I put most of those hours in within one year's time, thank you. I have not played that much in the last few years. Plus there are lots of people who never log out of the game. In one year, I spent literally one third of the year playing, one third working, and I sacrificed sleep. I was not "casual" in that year.

As for going offline, interviews with the developers say that they have considered making it an offline game in the future, after it dies as an online game. I don't think they would have said if there were technical reasons to make it impossible.
    (0)

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Link me to these interviews, or anything surrounding them.

When SE decide to stop hosting this game, it's likely they will sell the rights to run it to the highest bidder and license it to them. If you think they're going to invest hundreds of thousands of man hours into writing a closed, and emulated server for offline play, and changing every last bit of math to support solo play, plus changing the story to be linear or at least followable by a single character, you're severely mistaken.
    (0)

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    The issue really isn't whether they should drop PS2 support, but rather, simply upgrade to PS3 support instead.
    Which is essentially dropping PS2 support. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.
    (0)

Character
    Zener
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 70
    There is literally nothing stopping a PS2 user from moving to PC,xbox or ps3 besides their own stubbornness. They've had the better part of a decade to either upgrade their computer or get a newer console. No, it's not selfish or inconsiderate to expect them to either since the community as a whole benefits from a push to newer technology.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I still play on a PS2. I only play one day a week, if I have time. I have a fulltime job. I have obligations that do not allow me the luxury of just paying out the money to upgrade a PC to play a game. Nor do I have the extra funds needed to purchase other game console. I have a family to raise. A home to maintain. The expenses needed to keep working. Gaming is a luxury...not a necessity. I have maintained my PS2, even to the point of disassembling it and blowing out the dust drawn in by the ventilation system. If Square would make an affordable backwards compatible PS3 that does not cost a house payment, then I'll consider it. Until then, the PS2 is what I will be playing FFXI on.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Zener View Post
    There is literally nothing stopping a PS2 user from moving to PC,xbox or ps3 besides their own stubbornness. They've had the better part of a decade to either upgrade their computer or get a newer console. No, it's not selfish or inconsiderate to expect them to either since the community as a whole benefits from a push to newer technology.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I still play on a PS2. I only play one day a week, if I have time. I have a fulltime job. I have obligations that do not allow me the luxury of just paying out the money to upgrade a PC to play a game. Nor do I have the extra funds needed to purchase other game console. I have a family to raise. A home to maintain. The expenses needed to keep working. Gaming is a luxury...not a necessity. I have maintained my PS2, even to the point of disassembling it and blowing out the dust drawn in by the ventilation system. If Square would make an affordable backwards compatible PS3 that does not cost a house payment, then I'll consider it. Until then, the PS2 is what I will be playing FFXI on.
    Huh? If you have a PC that needs to be upgraded to play FFXI.....you have bigger issues with that PC. Any system bought in the last 4 or 5 years should be able to play this game--worst case it might need a $50 ebay purchase if it runs off crappy on-board graphics. You can buy a new barebones system, or just a complete core (just hookup your old keyboard, mouse, monitor) for $200 or less with more than enough horsepower to play FFXI. Even the cheap $400 laptops will play it just fine--a friend of mine just bought one from Best Buy 2 weeks ago so he could play and it does just fine.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

This is where i state yet again, if you are posting on here then obviously you have a pc to play on, and if it's a work pc, DO YOUR JOB instead of typing on a forum. People complain "I can't buy a new pc, I can't do this I can't do that it cost too much". Last I checked places still offer layaway or atleast a credit purchase with payments as low as 20$.
    (0)

Character
    Ereven
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    [QUOTE=Scuro;80613]Alright guys lets get a list of people's post on what the world of Vanadiel would be if SE Dropped PS2. I'll start this off with:

Ok, I've been hearing alot about PS2 issues, but since my wife and I use PC's, both son's use Xbox, I am not at all clear on what the problem is with the PS2(other than that one update when users had to completely reload the game due to a glitch). Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but rather curious. We like the PC versions, works quite well for us, along with the Xbox, 1 is here, the other with other son.
    (0)
    Erevan-Elvaan WAR 1st job, best job.
    Moved to Bahamut like lots of folks

The issue we all have with ps2 is.
    1 Can not do anymore expansions due to ps2 harddrive limitations that is why they are revamping old zones and adding new mobs.
    2 Can not get more then 80 spaces in inventory due to ps2 limitations
    3 All gear is rehashed but changed colors cause ps2 can't handle new gear looks
    4 Graphics can not be boosted due to ps2 limitations(yet it's too late to redo graphics)

There are alot more reasons but atm this is what alot of us want more of.
    (0)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast