Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Drutaru
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 28

So what does it feel like, being a Galka BLU?

Hey guys. I was thinking of starting fresh on FFXI and possibly rolling from a Human to a Galka.

Now I know most of you want to give me the "it's all the same just play what you want to play" ordeal. However I know the extra 200-300 health and vit does make up for a lot..especially early game.

So I was wondering, how do Galka BLU's perform interms of being able to keep up with other races MP pool, Breath damage (because of higher HP), and overall sustainability?

...also, for any Galka BLU's out there, are you satisfied with GALKA-BLU? Or if you had the chance would you try for another race?

Thanks very much!
    -Drutaru
    (0)

Player
    The racial effects will be very noticeable early on but not so much at 99 and beyond. Tarutaru HP and Galka MP are still pretty drastic at 99, compared to most racial statistics, it's just that they don't matter as much.

You can now get 150 Maximum MP from merits if Maximum MP is an issue, and the minimum amount of of Refresh that a Blue Mage can expect has increased several times over so it may never become an issue.

Don't get your hopes up about breath spells, though. Sadly, anything tough enough that you'd hesitate to just maul to death is likely to have built-in -% Breath Damage Taken or something akin to it. I have no idea why Breath Damage was considered an issue, since it's not amazing and the range is generally iffy, but some Development Bro felt that it was.
    (4)

Character
    Tohihroyu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Well one of my Galka buddies says Galka blu are powerhouses, in fact he told me if I thought about leveling it I should do so on my Galka alt. ;p

And PLEASE try and avoid using lots of MP+ gear, though I think the RSEv2 is still useful for Galka blue mages for some levels
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Low MP pool doesn't matter half as much anymore since the amount of Refresh you can get is quite high. If anything Tarutaru are now the weakest race in the game due to accuracy and MP issues pretty much being gone while HP pools are still important.

Any race you choose for BLU should be find however, since it is a pretty balanced class (and for that matter any job you choose as a Hume, Galka, or Mithra should be fine).
    (1)

Character
    Tashan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Welcome Back!
    (0)

Reduce or get rid of the penalty incurred after setting blue magic spells.
    The concept is that you acquire blue magic spells via learning and then you can change battle strategies by picking and choosing spells within the blue magic spell points and set limitations. If you were able to change spells freely, the whole battle strategy aspect would be lost, so we have no plans to remove/reduce the penalty.

Character
    Drutaru
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 28
    Hmm, see now im torn. I already have a BLU at 60 with full AF but I im kind of bored of being just another hume.. I was hoping the statistical difference would be large enough to break me away from the character, but after checking some calcs out it seems galka's only really get.. 200 HP more..? maybe? at 99..

/Sigh. ;-; what to do.. what to do..
    (0)

Character
    Doctorugh
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Since you can play blue mage a variety of ways, you will get slight advantages for each race. Most notable is galka MP and taru HP. As a galka leveling blue the hard way long ago was frustrating at times, but at 99 (with available refresh) it makes less difference. I would say the ideal race is probably elvaan (high STR, good amount of HP and enough MP).

As a frame of reference, 99 Galka BLU/NIN with full MP merits 1563/568
    99 Elvaan BLU/NIN with full HP merits 1584/588 (just more total stat overall)
    (0)
    Last edited by doctorugh; 02-20-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutaru View Post
    but I im kind of bored of being just another hume..
    There is nothing wrong with it but if you want to stand out your best bet is to role play. I suggest roleplaying a soulflayer, I've never heard of anyone doing that before.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post
    Low MP pool doesn't matter half as much anymore since the amount of Refresh you can get is quite high. If anything Tarutaru are now the weakest race in the game due to accuracy and MP issues pretty much being gone while HP pools are still important.

Any race you choose for BLU should be find however, since it is a pretty balanced class (and for that matter any job you choose as a Hume, Galka, or Mithra should be fine).
    Aside from HP/MP pools the difference in overall damage is around ~1% or so. Unless you're getting one shot constantly and the extra hp would have saved you race is hardly an issue.
    (1)

Character
    Brocovich
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    As Galka with PLD and BLU as mainjobs i can say MP pool isnt a problem these days. I even did 15/15 HP merits, sitting at 1792HP and 414MP as BLU99/WAR49. Sure 414MP is very very low but our emp body +2 (2MP refresh) is a very good idle piece and even good for TP sets. Makes 6MP/tic refresh with Auto-refrash and battery charge. Between fights you can switch to serpents hands/feet and refresh hairpin for more refresh.
    When doing Dynamis on BLU i can sleep our pulls, buff myself and almost spam spells without going out of MP.

The only downside i have noticed so far is using magic trigger spells in VW during weakness. <,<
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast