Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    how did i "troll you" i asked you nicely to not post false info and stated a fact you have no idea what your talking about. a fact you've just reinforced. if you want to learn how guard works 30 secs on wiki and a few other boards turns of plenty of good info im not your babysitter this isnt 3rd grade with me as your teacher use your brain.

and now to "troll" you
    LOOK GUZ I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THIS JOB AND IM YAPPING OUT MY CUMMERBUND AND SO MAD YOU CALLED ME OUT FOR BEING A TARD!!!111!!1
    (3)

It's not very easy to be sympathetic to someone when they walk into a conversation about guard without spending 30 seconds learning how it works first.

On topic, realism isn't really the best reasoning behind changes in video game mechanics. It's already a fantasy game, realism was thrown out the window a long time ago (hi Guns not just one-shotting mobs). I'm pretty content just not bothering with Guard, personally.
    (1)

Character
    Lynchilles
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    @gokku. What a waste of energy you are? You could have simply corrected me and informed peole how it works. But you chose the troll option. Good job.
    Or you could try reading the many threads all over this forum (and other forums) about guard and why it sucks before you post something about guard.

You weren't being trolled. You were simply told it is better to stay quiet and be assumed the fool instead of opening your mouth and confirming it.
    (1)

Character
    Laausuu
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 90
    I would also like to see some change(s) made to Guard in general. With the rate that guard occurs it is somewhat frustrating to attempt to skill up. I would like to see some sort of JA like Counterstance or Perfect Counter that would make Guard more likely to occur.
    (0)

Character
    Qkan
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 90
    While it would be nice, I think the problem with that is in combination with a decent evasion skill and countering, a higher rate of guarding would make Monk near impossible to hit. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for that to happen, but that's not really balanced. And in exchange, I really don't want my counter rate lowered since that is a good part of our damage and even threat management on things we are tanking.

If anything, I'd like the job to get a higher limit on Subtle Blow. Personally, I believe the TP feed is probably the worst thing about this game. Until recently, we typically bring 4-5 people and only 2 of us are melee (WHM, BRD, and BLM are the others). With just us two it's manageable as the THF has decent SB gear and our combined evasion/counter tanking really limits the TP gained from being hit. We added one more person who comes on occasion and his TP feed (as either DRK or NIN (He's not near our gear level and he's missing some important DPS atmas too so his low damage is more just a TP feed.)) has made some mobs spam TP so much that it's made them way more difficult then they usually are in our 5 man group. And on things that have traits that allow them to be healed while casting or TPing (Shinryu, Ulhuadshi to name a few) it just makes it that much harder or longer a fight. Er, so before I begin to wander too far off topic: I'd like to see additional changes to Subtle Blow and TP feed for enemies. I can definitely see why people prefer multi-boxing or low manning events. And as a melee job, it's not a whole lot of fun to stand around because of TP gain.
    (2)
    Last edited by Qkan; 08-02-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Character
    Capuchin
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokku View Post
    im 5/5 invig * 400 hp regen effect* 4/5 penance just because i solo alot . and used to do most "monk tank" events with another monk who was 5/5 pen 4/5 invig so it was balanced fine.
    Or you could always do 5/5 Penance 5/5 Invigorate. I recently dropped Formless Strikes altogether because it has been useless to me for a long time. Any rare time you do use it, your damage is bad and it's very likely than in any decent setup other jobs can easily take care of whatever mob you're fighting anyway. On the other hand, Penance and Invigorate are both frequently useful to me. So why was I holding onto that 1 Formless merit?

If Formless ever becomes important in future content I'll just get it again. I'm kinda suspecting that won't be the case though. It had literally helped me zero times in the previous year when I dumped it a couple months back, and I have not missed it since.
    (0)

Character
    Mystina
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Anza View Post
    Or you could always do 5/5 Penance 5/5 Invigorate. I recently dropped Formless Strikes altogether because it has been useless to me for a long time. Any rare time you do use it, your damage is bad and it's very likely than in any decent setup other jobs can easily take care of whatever mob you're fighting anyway. On the other hand, Penance and Invigorate are both frequently useful to me. So why was I holding onto that 1 Formless merit?

If Formless ever becomes important in future content I'll just get it again. I'm kinda suspecting that won't be the case though. It had literally helped me zero times in the previous year when I dumped it a couple months back, and I have not missed it since.
    Agree here, i may even just drop mine, because the few times i do use it doing 30-60 damage a hit i think why the hell do did i even bother? only to have the mob do something else that makes it invunurable later on when it wears off and be like "oh it's on it's long, 10 minute recast timer" it seems only worth it if you 5/5 formless but who in the hell would full merit formless? as if mantra wasn't useless enough.
    (1)

Character
    Qkan
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 90
    Actually, thinking more about Guarding, a "Guardstance" might not be so bad if it were to give 60% guard (leaving base Counter alone) and maybe either doesn't take away your defense or provides a minor defense bonus. In combination with Tactical Guard, you may be able to get a decent TP feed that would allow for fast WS. Guardstance would not stack with Counterstance and would overwrite each other like Blood Rage and Warcry.

Just idle musings from a 3rd shift worker wasting time waiting on Keeper.

Edit: This would be more for things that you cannot counter a whole lot. I know you can Guard TP moves so maybe this would be better on something like Shinryu or where having virtually zero DEF is bad. Again, just wasting time.
    (0)
    Last edited by Qkan; 08-07-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Hi-ya monks! (get it? It's a pun.) Can I get a yeah buddy? Because I have a bunch of responses from the development team as follow-ups to all the feedback we have received about monk job adjustments

Make it so you generate TP upon a successful counterattack.
    Since Counter offers the monk a defensive edge by negating damage from an attack, we decided against it also generating TP.

Abolish the TP that is given to enemies upon a monk’s successful counter.
    Since the benefit of Counter itself is already very potent, it will be difficult to justify cutting the TP given to the enemy as well.

Make it so the rate of guard activation and the amount of damage that is reduced increases the higher the monk’s guard skill is.
    First we will be making adjustments to make it easier to increase guard and parry skills. We plan on looking into guard balance adjustments as the next step we take.

Add an ability that increases the guard rate and damage reduction.
    Since we already have Perfect Counter, we have no plans to add this type of ability.

Make it so magic casting cannot be interrupted when you guard.
    Since monk has no native magic skill, a different type of effect such as a reduction in enemy’s generated TP would fit better than simply magic interruption.

Adjust Boost so the attack power is stronger.
    We will look into it. We agree it would be nice to feel a potent effect even if the enemies get stronger with the level cap increase.

Add Regen, Stoneskin, or some other type of support-related effect to Chakra.
    We are thinking about adding something along the lines of increasing the effect of Chakra through Boost. It might be good if we added a Regen effect when using Boost in conjunction with Chakra which would get more powerful the more times you Boost.

Add a stun ability.
    We are not thinking about adding an ability for this. We would like to have monks use the weapon skill “Shoulder Tackle” in instances that they need to stun something. We are currently looking into an effect that will reduce an enemy’s TP as an adjustment to Chi Blast.

Will there be any new stance abilities like Footwork?
    First we would like to make adjustments so that Footwork can be used in more efficient ways, so we are not currently preparing any additional new stances.

We would like special abilities that can only be used while Footwork is active.
    We’ll keep it in consideration as a part of the Footwork adjustments.

Add items that can be equipped in the sub equipment slot while using hand-to-hand weapons.
    We are currently looking into methods of utilizing the sub slot for hand-to-hand. We’ll take into consideration the balance of other weapons and will look to implement it at the right time.
    (6)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Vagrua
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    We are thinking about adding something along the lines of increasing the effect of Chakra through Boost. It might be good if we added a Regen effect when using Boost in conjunction with Chakra which would get more powerful the more times you Boost.
    Perhaps adjustments could be made to where boost would only go off during Chakra, Chi Blast, or Weapon skills over the next attack round? This way you could stack boosts more efficiently to bring out the most in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    We are currently looking into methods of utilizing the sub slot for hand-to-hand. We’ll take into consideration the balance of other weapons and will look to implement it at the right time.
    Hand-to-hand straps have been wanted for a long time and will be much appreciated when implemented.
    (3)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast