Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

FC for lvls 4-30? ; ;

So lately there has been /sh for pts from ppl offering to burn you from lvls 4-30 for 400k. I find this incredibly concerning.

This game has become entirely to unfriendly to new players and now if the fell cleavers found a way to lvl everyone from 4-30 there is going to be no chance at all for newcomers with no gil (unless of course they buy it, the whole point of these fc /sh I assume). I mean how many pts do you actually see running 30+ these days? Lvl 10-30 pts may all but disappear too if this trends.

I am all for easier lvling, my orig char took a good year to lvl my first job to 75 and merit completely. But if SE doesnt nip things like this in the bud there is no hope for the survival of ffxi. Numbers are dwindling as it is with all the new competition out there, even from SE itself and if you cannot even do something fundimental like lvl a job anymore without hundreds of thousands of gil, the game is SoL.

I held out hope but I'm starting to think they naysayers who think SE is completely done with ffxi are right. I knew it was on the backburner til xiv was fixed but wow.

They always want to spout off about balance and how they have to nerf everything for balance but issues like this need some balancing too before its too late.
    (4)

Crystals can actually be quite profitable, and you can farm them from level 1. In addition, soloing levels is far far easier now than it was 3 years ago. I just opened up a mule which i leveled to 20 and took to jeuno in a matter of a few hours. Its not like i needed this huge start-up funding from my main to even do it. If you think buying gil is the only way for low levels to obtain gil, you haven't done your research.

For those that wish to play a mage, they may want to just lv mnk or war first then cleave the mage up. That or wait for another new player to team up with. Either way new players get to play endgame far sooner than old school players. There are many other playability obstacles that are in the way, but players offering faster leveling for a fee isn't one of them.
    (0)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Point taken, although crystals, while profitable, are 4k-ish per stack, so a new player needs about what 100 stacks to get a lvling pt?

My point was not that buying money is an option, never have, never will. My point was that if pts cease or dwindle to being occasional than getting that start up is going to be grooling for new players and lvling solo, albeit faster than before, is gruelingly slow and boring compared to other new mmos on the market. If you are new, you perhaps dont know where to farm or anything about a book burn, or even where/what Jeuno is. It will turn off alot of new players. I just purchased Guild Wars 2, if I had to farm 400k gold or even more considering the lvl 30+ gil requirements or consider the slow boredom of book burns or soloing I would uninstall it and move on. I got to lvl 20 slower than I could in ffxi but in a much more dynamic and attn keeping way. This system may have worked before, but it no longer does, which is why SE streamlined the ease of exp in the first place. But this added gil requirement that the playerbase itself is imposing on new and existing players to do something so fundimental is going to cause problems in the long run.

All of us enjoy this game, want to see more expansions, more playable areas and jobs and everything beyond. We cannot do that however if we do not get some fresh players into the game. Numbers are dwindling slowly, xiv may cause them to dwindle more if its a success, WoW, GW2 the new elder scrolls mmo coming onto the market all offer new players a better experience than the current ffxi. You can enjoy endgame soon yes. But do ppl these days really want to put the effort into farming crystals or grinding solo lvls? Which is still comparitively slow. You may have been able to do it in a few hours, but someone who is brand new most likely will not be able to and end up not logging back in.
    (0)
    Last edited by Elphy; 11-16-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    While I would much rather them implement changes so that leveling through actually playing the game is preferred again (I don't mind fast xp, it's the afk part that especially creates problems when I pick up a BLM and he keeps getting resisted by The Hills Are Alive), especially increasing skillup rates, I really don't see how this is a detriment to newer players given how easy it is to solo level anyway. Nobody's forcing you to join fell cleaves so saying that it concerns you doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

In fact, as someone who grinded for hours in valkurm and whatnot in the early days I very much prefer soloing these days over needing to deal with...less than intelligent people in groups.
    (4)
    Last edited by Kincard; 11-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    hmm ok I think yall are looking at it from a long-term players perspective. If we just fc from lvl 4 on thats our choice. We also may be excited by the relative speed of soloing now comparted to 3 yrs ago. But look at it like this.

Your new. The first 10 or so lvls come relatively easy. You find a lvl 99 player and ask them where to lvl. They tell you a book burn in Gusgan Mines. You make your way to Gusgan and its empty. You wait and wait, you put your flag up and wait and its empty. Why? Cause everyone else is afk being burned from lvl 4-99 in a fc pt. So you go out and get some pages and use your emporer ring and continue to lvl on your own or if your lucky one or two other players. And it starts to crawl. It takes longer and longer to get those lvls and all you are doing is fighting ep mobs because you dont know where to solo, or you do not have the survivability to take on dc or em mobs. You get no exp from quests, you get no exp from events, all you can do is fight more rabbits or sheep. You have no subjob cause you cannot farm the items until you get up a ways and there isnt really anyone willing to help new players. You heard you can get to lvl 30 quick in a burn and then 75+ super fast in another burn. But you look at the 50k gil youve earned and see that the price tags for burns run 300k-1m+

Would you stick it out? The game is new to you. You have no idea if it has good endgame or not. Your just checking things out cause you heard it was good or because you like the FF genre.

I'm just saying I find it concerning because we seem to have more outgoing players than incoming. Which is problemsome for the long run. If you have more loss than gain its not a good thing even if its slow.
    (2)

Player
    The thing is your forced to solo from the start in this game because you cant make the money needed for cleaves, wont know enough about the game to get a good start, and overall are likely going to start bored. Other games, especially newer ones, are not like this, people are still joining alot so you would be starting off with the ability to level with other players, ways to make money will be easier to find because you have others at your level & experience to go off of, and the game overall will likely be much more enjoyable to you starting off, than FFXI is.
    (0)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I totally get what you're saying, I just don't think a solution is practical at the moment.

Speaking just from my perspective, when I first started playing I had no problems soloing from level 1-15, and that's with the old xp system, without the changes to signet, without super kupowers, all that. I can't imagine soloing to level 30 would be difficult with all the changes they've made. I understand that the MMO market has changed significantly but the only solution to what you're talking about is basically low-level raids that will bequeath xp as well as decently functioning low-level gear, which I doubt they'll ever bother putting in.
    (1)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    naw they dont have to gimp exp, add any new content or anything, just need to put back into place the whole lvl difference system. Where in a lvl 99 player killing stuff could not garner ppl lvl 4-70ish exp from pages or reg kills. This would bring back at least book burns and give a viable lvling option to even the newest players. It would still be kindda boring but would be fast enough to hopefully hold onto some of the new players and with a bigger demand for lower lvl gear, ppl would maybe start using their spare supplies to start crafting it again. You could still get a job to 99 in a few days but would also let you stay skilled, reducing the need to skill up later and let the playerbase get to know each other with pt chatter, getting newer players ls easier and getting them into endgame faster. And most importantly maybe retain some of this fresh blood.
    (1)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I think you're missing the biggest thing about FCs...it isn't just the fact that they get xp quickly, it's the fact that you pay them and get to level a job while AFK. What does this mean?

Most people think leveling up a job isn't fun, and is a hindrance to the actual game content.

So like I said, the only way to fix this is to make rich low/mid level content that also bestows a great amount of xp on the player. Only then will low/mid-level parties might make a comeback. Even then, human laziness may ultimately win people over and they'll just opt to pay a couple mil so they can cleave up to level 99 in 2 days.
    (3)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    I think you're missing the biggest thing about FCs...it isn't just the fact that they get xp quickly, it's the fact that you pay them and get to level a job while AFK. What does this mean?

Most people think leveling up a job isn't fun, and is a hindrance to the actual game content.
    That again just goes back to the current playerbase. If you got a game and found you could be top lvl in a few days by via book burns you would be far more likely to stay. On the other hand the current playerbase would be the ones with the /nerdrage due to us being so spoiled by SE allowing aby/FC exp as long as they have.

They cannot undo the lvling system as it stands, they can however make it more new player friendly
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast