Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Tenth login campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th login campaign info page
    * Points accumulated during this eighth campaign are only usuable therein.
    Please fix

Can you guys add bags of heavy metal or other trial items to future campaigns please? obtaining them is ridiculous, throw us a bone.
    (5)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

The amount of care that has been seen going into spelling and details for a time now has been disheartening to say the least.

/sigh

Anyblue, while I'm here, I'd say the price on dwarf pugil and drill calamary could be lower methinks.

Considering 50 of them may yield something around zero (0) to two (2) matsya, I feel 100 points for one is a “bit” too much. Granted, my fishing skill is only between 90 and 100, but I don't believe things are going to be much better in this regard with a higher skill, even after the adjustments, and I am positive that my opinion on these items being way too costly will remain the same even if my numbers were to be tripled.

While I agree that heavy metal and other such items are in a dire need of an adjustment or few, I would probably not want them here, where there already is something I want to spend all my points into to get at least a slight chance on getting something.

Now that I think of it, I should probably stop doing that. Paying 15.95 EUR for a minor chance on a matsya or few does seem quite ridonkulous, doesn't it. Might be best if those were removed altogether, unless the price went down to 10 points for each. ^^;

Thanks!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    What does a Duck Ring do cause from what i can tell it doesn't add anything to my fishing. I have 97 skill. I get the discernment messages a lot already without it and a ton of gold arrows. I dont notice any easier time pulling fishes in, the ring seems pretty useless. And it has 50 charges each of which last 5 minutes so that doesn't really help it out.... And the reason why i bring it up is: it is a 2000 login point item. In the past there have been some items that it seems SE has no idea of its real value to players. This is definately one of them. There have been a few items that really aretn worth much at all but they are priced so high it doesnt make any sense (cant think of any from the past off the top of my head though).
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Trumpy,

Another method to obtain the Duck Ring is by completing the Participate in Fish Ranking Records of Eminence objective, which is not repeatable.

As such, I've regrettably not tested it even once, since I'm not planning on spending that many log-in points on it. Not unless it spawns 50 or so drill calamaries or/and dwarf pugils after it has been used up.

It does seem like a very odd one-time reward. My first and best guess was that it would increase the frequency at which fishing instinct messages occur, but as you put it, that doesn't seem to be the case. Of course it would seem like a very useless effect, but it is pretty easy to obtain.

That said, it will be used up pretty quickly, too, so I feel it should be something useful if it were to replace anything a fisher after matsya and cave cherax for example uses. Something like reduce/eliminate items?

I might still stick to the raised fishing instinct messages, and explain the unnoticeable effect by the already high level of fishing and equipment. That really is the only thing I can think of from 'fishy intuition', save for the no items-effect, which I doubt, but would be neat (but then it should be something more permanent, not a 50x5 minutes thing >.<).

Edit:

I somehow left out the part of saying that, Records of Eminence is how you probably got it, too, since the log-in campaign where it is available started just recently.

Again, it does seem silly expensive no matter how I think of it. Then again, it does probably match the cost of the bait I've been talking about, the calamary drills and pugil ducks. Err, dwarf pugils.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 04-13-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I get my Ebisu this sunday so i may try the ring out then on matsyas or whatever (of course if im using this ring i cant use other more useful rings). Its been hard not to jsut toss the thing out cause Ive been trying it since i was in the 70s here and there and have not had any discernable difference. Since the fish update i seem to get messages bout what is on my line every other cast on average. sometimes a few in a row. but rarely more than 5 casts without it. which seems about the same as before the changes if not jsut a bit more.

A few times i have thought about what you said, "Damn you can only get this ring once!" And then i remembered it seems pretty useless. The only thing i can think of is it is more beneficial for those who are really low leveled but even my mule with 11 skill gets discernment rates the same as me. So i saw it in the login campaing and thought oh wow so it wont be a one time thing, and then noticed how much it cost and i jsut face palmed. But i also dont see the expertise ring as very valuable either. I still have a bunch of exp rings from variuos events already, but at 2k i think it could have been 1/1 with a longer recast or something. it should have been a bit less points in cost.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    The amount of care that has been seen going into spelling and details for a time now has been disheartening to say the least.

/sigh

Anyblue, while I'm here, I'd say the price on dwarf pugil and drill calamary could be lower methinks.

Considering 50 of them may yield something around zero (0) to two (2) matsya, I feel 100 points for one is a “bit” too much. Granted, my fishing skill is only between 90 and 100, but I don't believe things are going to be much better in this regard with a higher skill, even after the adjustments, and I am positive that my opinion on these items being way too costly will remain the same even if my numbers were to be tripled.
    I agree the amount is too high but your rate is also decently lower than it should be. I've fished thing for a long time. First like 4-5 years ago trying to see if I could make a profit off of them npcing then more recently with the skillup cape for me and a few mules. Overall averaging it out at 100 skill you should get a matsya every 8-10 bait. The biggest key to this is reeling up the items so you don't lose bait to that. If you do that out of all the other bites you get approximately I noticed around 20% were monsters of the remaining bites it's about half and half matysa to jellyfish and of the ones you hook at 100 you should be able to catch in about 25-33% of them. If you hold the monsters (not sure if that still works with the recent update) you could expect more like 1 every 6-8 bait. Still bad especially for the low price the matsya sell for but not quite as bad
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    But i also dont see the expertise ring as very valuable either. I still have a bunch of exp rings from variuos events already, but at 2k i think it could have been 1/1 with a longer recast or something. it should have been a bit less points in cost.
    Agreed. I still have my first Kupofried's ring, as well as the Decennial, Novennial, and Undecennial rings, from which all but kupo are unused. I really don't see why they shouldn't be 1/1, which would be nice! As a silly collector, I like to keep them in an unused state, mint condition I guess, which is also why I'm so reluctant about using the Duck ring...

Speaking of which, thinking more about the name of the ring... Similar to the other fishing related rings, it's named after a (fish-eating) bird. Has anyone studied the way of a fishing duck? Nothing is jumping right at me from a quick research, so I'll probably go and try it out today.

Not that I'm expecting to figure the effect out, but seriously, having such a short effect for something like fishing seems like it should be something pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    I agree the amount is too high but your rate is also decently lower than it should be.
    Right you are!

However, I wasn't actually talking about bites there. Could have been more clear about it, sorry!

They can bite rather often even, at times (I forgot to note down the exact results every time, before it was too late), but they usually just snap the line, which is what I was referring to. It seems to take me 40-50 bait usually to get 2 of them up (I say usually, but that really amounts to two tests at different skill levels).

I'm indeed making sure that I pull up all items so as to not lose the precious bait so often (I believe the jellyfish has become my most hated underwater being, though I'm not sure if the puffin ring will help in reducing the frequency they bite (I just got mine after 60 or so crocodilos)). As for monsters, I'm aware of that trick, too, but I don't spend there that much time usually; not before I get my skill up a little more will I spend the rest of 200-300 bait I've collected. Sadly most of those might be from log-in campaigns, while I have been fishing up cave cherax for skillupses since level 89 (late February), being at 100 now.

'Tis a helluva process, which I can't say I completely hate. If anything, I'd probably want just a bit more of the bait considering how many of them are simply lost by design it seems. I can imagine them intending players to use all of the guild-points items and a skill of 110, but even if I had those, I wouldn't be able to fit them into my mog house! But I digress...

Down with jellyfish!

Edit:

Having now tried it, first thing I noticed was the help text of the enchantment:
    You are able to discern even the tiniest movements of your underwater prey.
    I will try it next with crocodilos, but it did seem like nearly all of the arrows were golden with this. The light bulb, however, did not appear, nor did the game identify fish for me (so fishing instinct didn't go into effect in that sense, but the golden opportunities do seem to happen more often).

So if that is indeed it, while a nice idea, it's not very cool due to the limited uses. =/

It should help with crocodilos a bunch for example, but meh.

By the by, just got 3 matsya with about 20 bait I think (and one snapped the line). Not a bad day yet, but I believe that was just a lucky start!

Edit Too:

Snapped 8 in a row after.

Edit Tree:

I did it again!

<facepalm>

I forgot to put the notes down before logging off out again.

I believe I used around 77 bait this time around, and walked away with a whopping 8 matsya (all other catches snapped the line). Perhaps it was just a good time for it, the alignment of moons and the likes, or the level 100 got me beyond some sweet spot there.

Not trying to change this into all-about-fishing by the by. I hope this does at least convey how over-priced I really feel the bait to be.

Edit Fore:

After some crocodilos hunting, I'm being rather confident about it increasing the odds for them golden opportunities, at least until someone else points out something else. Have not noticed anything else aside from that.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 04-21-2014 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Duck Duck Go