Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Dupegate, the aftermath and lack of consequences

Why do I feel like I'm the only one that got completely screwed over here?

Everyone who duped got to make tens of thousands selling the gil. With zero consequences. yeah their character got banned, big deal, they hid 1b on another account and can have everything back in 20 minutes.

Everyone with a shield got to, and still gets to buy millions of duped medals "on sale" and sell su5 gear. With zero consequences.

Everyone without a shield gets to buy all that su5 gear "on sale". With zero consequences.

And here I am just holding a turd. I took zero advantage of this dupe, and my reward? Watching every single other player benefit. That's fair.
    (3)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    Why do I feel like I'm the only one that got completely screwed over here?

Everyone who duped got to make tens of thousands selling the gil. With zero consequences. yeah their character got banned, big deal, they hid 1b on another account and can have everything back in 20 minutes.

Everyone with a shield got to, and still gets to buy millions of duped medals "on sale" and sell su5 gear. With zero consequences.

Everyone without a shield gets to buy all that su5 gear "on sale". With zero consequences.

And here I am just holding a turd. I took zero advantage of this dupe, and my reward? Watching every single other player benefit. That's fair.
    Did you report people you knew to be doing it?
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Did you report people you knew to be doing it?
    Any report would have been unfounded. No one was admitting to it, so it would just be salt at that point. "hes making too much money, I'm going to report him" This IS an accurate statement. knowing what happened, but was NOT at the time. There was no "evidence" to submit. (that I had access to)
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Any report would have been unfounded. No one was admitting to it, so it would just be salt at that point. "hes making too much money, I'm going to report him" This IS an accurate statement. knowing what happened, but was NOT at the time. There was no "evidence" to submit. (that I had access to)
    Honestly, depending on the level of knowledge of this exploit, you could pretty well assume that anyone that was standing there and looking at the ??? for longer than any normal person would, that they are potentially using the exploit. There is no penalty for reporting someone whom you believe to be exploiting something, unless it can be shown that you are doing so maliciously. Better to report and let the GMs decide if it's founded or not. Your evidence is you see someone interacting with a known exploitable NPC/target and they are acting suspiciously.. That's all you need to say.

It's certainly more productive than not reporting anyone and then complaining that they aren't in trouble. In fact if you have names of people you have good reason to believe used the exploit, then you should still report them.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-15-2019 at 04:46 AM.

Player
    First, no one knew that that a dupe was active, until it was reported. Second, no one knew that the ??? was respoonsible (among other npcs btw) until it was reported. Anyone you saw standing there, you had no idea why, until now. You can't just report every player that looks afk.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    First, no one knew that that a dupe was active, until it was reported. Second, no one knew that the ??? was respoonsible (among other npcs btw) until it was reported. Anyone you saw standing there, you had no idea why, until now. You can't just report every player that looks afk.
    Something police departments often say... "If you see something, say something."

You can't get in trouble for reporting someone and having it turn out not to be a thing, unless you're exhibiting a pattern of behavior of reporting people just to get them investigated.

Second, if no one knew until you (somebody?) reported it, that still means anyone that was there after you made the report might be suspect.

(Third, if it wasn't known by others til you posted it, well, it seems like there are holes in the story here that need filling in)

In all honesty I don't know what the actual purpose of the ??? in question is, I have never been to it, so if there's a sudden influx of people visiting a spot t hat isn't commonly visited, that can and should be treated as suspect.

I just don't think it's right to complain about people not getting in trouble when no one reported them for doing something wrong.
    (3)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-15-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Player
    The npc (???) in question is routinely visited, and afked by routinely with bazaar. Nothing would've looked abnormal.

I did not find it, nor am I the one who reported it, nor did I use it

This is why I'm specifically talking about the aftermath of it.

everyone that bought anything related to dynamis-divergance got to keep stolen goods. and/or profit from it, not only during, but in the aftermath as well.
    (1)
    Last edited by Isola; 11-15-2019 at 05:31 AM.

Character
    Gakaijin
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I kind of feel the same.
    And unless they also rollback everything from the past two years, we have no definite number on how many +2, +3 relic pieces, +2 necks, and SU5 weapons were crafted and sold just from basically having free mats.
    (2)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Cheating is wrong, obviously, and I am glad they fixed the "loophole" that allowed cheating in this particular case.

There is a lot of cheating and exploitation going on elsewhere.

FFXI is running on a skeleton crew. They can't be expected to fix every loophole, and pounce on every exploit instantaneously.

A few years ago, there was even official SE conference speech about ending FFXI altogether.

Later, I was so happy when SE reversed that official statement, and announced that FFXI was staying online, "for many years to come."

Does other people's cheating affect my happiness in Vana'diel? No. I am saddened by their actions, and sometimes annoyed by it.

But other people's cheating does not make Vana'diel less beautiful to me. Other people's cheating does not make my Automaton look less adorable when he runs towards me on his little metal legs. Other people's cheating does not lessen my enjoyment of having adventures with my friends, or going fishing, or any of the other activities that I love to do in Vana'diel.

Some people cheated and used an exploit to obtain lots of Gil. That is morally wrong of course, and I am glad it has been stopped. But it doesn't affect me, because my FFXI life doesn't revolve around Gil. Those cheaters can not steal the experiences and memories that I have in Vana'diel, because those experiences and memories are priceless and exist entirely outside of the Gil marketplace.

I am so happy because FFXI is still online, and I am so happy because I can still spend time in Vana'diel. My experiences in Vana'diel will never be tarnished by the actions of cheaters and exploiters. Even though I am glad to see those cheating people stopped and banned, I don't let their existence diminish my own personal FFXI gaming experience.
    (8)

Player
    That's the problem, it HAS NOT been stopped. ALL of the duped items still exist.

Yes, they can't MAKE more. Kind of irrelevant when there are already millions.
    (2)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast