Character
    Krokov
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Farewell to the email.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/pol...ews25783.shtml

There are some but I don't know how many that probably utilized the email service of PlayOnline I did occasionaly the send stuff and receive info. It's end of an era though ran pretty long for an email service that to this day can only utilize text and not HTML.

2002-2019
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Hm, aside from lack of usage, they also cited security concerns. POL probably uses a really old version of email protocols in its server software, so its probably more vulnerable to abuse.
    (0)

Character
    Asukoya
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90
    I'm happy they end this. I've an email waiting but cannot find anymore my password. So when ingame, i have the popo up on the upper right side that bother me.
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniks View Post
    I'm happy they end this. I've an email waiting but cannot find anymore my password. So when ingame, i have the popo up on the upper right side that bother me.
    The PlayOnline mail password can be reset from the Square Enix account management under PlayOnline ID options. 'Update PlayOnline mail password'

This will allow you to enter a new password directly without entering your current one.
    (0)

Character
    Asukoya
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Balduran View Post
    The PlayOnline mail password can be reset from the Square Enix account management under PlayOnline ID options. 'Update PlayOnline mail password'

This will allow you to enter a new password directly without entering your current one.
    Yea i saw that after i posted this lol I logged to account management to update my card and saw the option.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Heh. I almost started this topic myself. :]

It is kind of sad, yes. I've been using it now and then for fun, and even have it added into my e-mail client (currently Claws Mail (SPONsor!)).

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Hm, aside from lack of usage, they also cited security concerns. POL probably uses a really old version of email protocols in its server software, so its probably more vulnerable to abuse.
    It's POP3, and while it is quite old, it's still widely in use elsewhere. They don't use SSL/TLS however, which I guess may well be at least a part of the cited concerns.

On another note, I hope by "Distribution and support for the PlayOnline Friend List Application" they mean the 'PlayOnline Plus. Friend List Plus' applet. I know it must be that, but ya never know...
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post

On another note, I hope by "Distribution and support for the PlayOnline Friend List Application" they mean the 'PlayOnline Plus. Friend List Plus' applet. I know it must be that, but ya never know...
    It's definitely that. The friend list thing on the website.
    (0)

Character
    Krokov
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniks View Post
    That's true I don't really use it myself and the fact that it can only display text within content makes it only semi useful as almost all email uses HTML and some way granted some most could still use simple text of course but if the majority of your email as HTML in it you're like generally display anything and so it's like you only see half the message or less.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The friends list tool on the website was useful, it let you message people outside of the game. (But maybe that's the source of the security concerns?)
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Morovich View Post
    That's true I don't really use it myself and the fact that it can only display text within content makes it only semi useful as almost all email uses HTML and some way granted some most could still use simple text of course but if the majority of your email as HTML in it you're like generally display anything and so it's like you only see half the message or less.
    There are (weird?) people like me who mainly deal with plain text e-mail. Most of my mail tends to deal with open-source software development though, which probably isn't normal mail for a lot of other people.

As for mail that is not sent in plain text form, I force html display off for them (actually did not even enable the functionality at build-time for my main e-mail client).

If a mail doesn't display anything when viewed in plain text form, it's usually mail I'm not interested in. :]

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    The friends list tool on the website was useful, it let you message people outside of the game. (But maybe that's the source of the security concerns?)
    Quite useful indeed, especially back when it was not possible to log into PlayOnline without an active subscription. At least as far as I remember, that used to not be possible. Don't know if it was a conscious choice, or a kind of a by-product from switching to SqEX Account Management (the status of the content IDs seem to be checked after hitting 'Play').

I'd guess the main security issue here is non-maintenance. No one is looking, and that's not good for these kinds of things. For example the community site links: I'm almost certain there are more than a few spammy sites linked to there now, as domains have changed owners and so on.
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast