Character
    Amaran
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Quiescence: Any stories, advice or tactics

Now that we got our new toy there's the tedious task of getting past another over powered tarutaru to start it. As I under stand it the goal is to take it slow and steady and widdle him down with lunge and swipe, while keeping your hp out of the red.

Between the occasional 100+ dmg, 500+ ws and, 500~ 1k lunge. My only problem is keeping hp above 1300. I think he'll use a specific sword weapon skill @ ~ cirtain hp. The only time Ive seen savage blade and chant du cygne was when his hp got down to a certain point. Unless flash/foil causes him to miss, they hurt.. If you're keeping track of the lunge timer it's hard to avoid alot of damage when one follows right after the other.

The only weapon skill I've seen do any decent damage was spinning slash and lunge can do 2k when all the runes are the same after his lunge. Ive read paralyze does little to him via icespikes and weapon skill. He doesnt seem to have any dual weild bonous, but shock spikes seem to stunn him quite regularly and that does slow him down alot. On the otherhand he parrys more when acc is not a problem.

I'm thinking gear might be the problem. I'm using 119 af head, 3 delve 119 (two acc+ 1 atk+eva), 109 relic and, AA great sword. A JSE cape, two darkrings for (total) -8 mdt/pdt, twilight neck, flume belt and earing to convert dmg to mp, Apart from spaming flash, spikes, foil, refresh, regen IV, phalanx. His melee damage hits a bit hard. By the looks of midigating the physical damage. I may need to take time to farm up the gill to buy the mats for the 119 relic upgrade and maybe invest into an Aettir. Then more airlixers for hands and feet rank.

The best I did looked looked like he was around to be ~20% while using tavnazian taco as food. Every time I do die it's usualy because of a back to back ws/lunge or simply unable to recover alot of hp. (can only hold 1 vile elixer and +1). I'm thinking I'll need a stack or two, or three of potions that won't medicate me and will be fast enough to spam some hp to get me back from 67 hp, when he looks to be around 1/4 remaining. I actually tried to run away and discovered his lunge has range on it despite doing 0 dmg.

His runes are not randomly based on the current/past/next day, but they are random. The idea is to use the oposite ones that he is using to offset his magic dmg and lunge.

If anyone has gotten to this point, what have you found out and what were you doing/using if you got past this obsticle?

Eddit---:

Using a single sword may be possible, however there are few swords that rune can use that'll make the cut when it comes to acc and damage. At best I've been timing out with using a sword for sanguine blade.

After heavily investing into upgrading Rune's relic body to 119 and getting an Aettir made, I finally was just able to win in under a minute left (no elixers). Aparantly unless I had access to a Defending ring, the damage reduction from Aettir and boost to lunge/swipe actualy made it easier to maintain hp with regen & vivacious pulse. The fight will not end untill his hp raches "0" unlike in the limmit break quests. However flash, stoneskin, phalanx, bar 1 element (4th resistance) , bar blind, feint and regen iV were the only real drain on mp. Overall, the fight needs to have as much def and damage reduction as possible dps is not important as macroing a mab set for swipe and lunge, or dmg/acc for weapon skills. Spinning slash does seem to always give more damage more frequently than resolution while resolution will rarely miss all hits. Probably from the str/int modifyer vs run's str rating/merrit value. Also if possible try not to spend to much time buffing before hand and bring an ether/elixer or yag drink to use at the start

Lunge and swipe are the main forms of heavy damage. So expect to spam swipe when ever possible. He'll take more damage if its an element he's not buffed against or stronger to the ones hes using.

Ex: Taru's last rune used was water, you swipe with lightning> re aply rune.
    Ex2: Taru used fire>dark>wind(last) runes, you used water(first)>light>Ice (last) swipe with ice >wind, but get a ice resist from fire. Instead use a rune that he has no buff against like thunder; use barfire> thunder rune> swipe > water rune> baraero (optional).

Only use Lunge after he does to get the full elemental damage (or at very start with all the same rune). Always use a bar spell that matches the first rune he uses in a set. That'll give you some defence if you need to swap runes for a swipe. I've been using bar sleep/blind on the off chance he decides to use a dark rune.

Either way, once he's dead talk to Octavien a couple times for dialog on your win. Then head over to the Inventors coalition and talk to the hume by the crate at the entrance. After the cs you'll get your stage 1 sword. Equip it and head back to the mithra in East Adoulin to start the next stage. Sh'ell then ask for 200x ghastly stones any 1 (relic 119 upgrade) item from the first three delve bosses, 500x H-P bayld to continue. Only problem now is how to hold, farm and trade all of it?
    (0)
    Last edited by Kote; 06-17-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Unfortunately, I had a 4 month break so I haven't managed to get legendary on all coalitions yet, but 1 tip for keeping HP up would be to use a sword for Sanguine Blade.

There are some useful tips here, too
    (0)

Character
    Amaran
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Unfortunately, I had a 4 month break so I haven't managed to get legendary on all coalitions yet, but 1 tip for keeping HP up would be to use a sword for Sanguine Blade.

There are some useful tips here, too
    I never thought of using a sword for the hp drain. Now I need to find a decent sword for run to use at that iLev. Thanks.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Kote View Post
    I never thought of using a sword for the hp drain. Now I need to find a decent sword for run to use at that iLev. Thanks.
    Just bear in mind that if your strategy revolves around Sanguine Blade only, you're out of luck if he's using Lux XD
    (0)

Character
    Amaran
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Just bear in mind that if your strategy revolves around Sanguine Blade only, you're out of luck if he's using Lux XD
    Yeah. At best I've been running the clock out with a sword instead of dropping like a rock 50% to 2/3 into his hp. I finally got a win after really farming up alot of gill for Aettir and body upgrades, because those vile elixers were costly. Not to mention the possible gil and/or bayld cost for some of the H-p bayld. I did completely forget that we could also use ergon tinctures; -MDT, -pdt, +def, +hp, +multy hit, +crit. Unfortunately at 40k each, I dont know how long any of them would last to justify the cost. I'm thinking 30 seconds, to as long as simular items in aby, voidwatch, etc would last.
    (0)

It's either 30 secs or a minute. Never used them myself but I recall reading a thread about what a complete waste of time they are.
    (0)

Character
    Vashkoda
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Congrats on the win! It took me a few tries too. Although I'm too late to help you, in case it might help others, I decided to post my findings.

For starters, as you said, the main point of the fight is survival, although you still have to be able to kill him in 15 minutes. He has a ridiculous amount of HP for a taru, and he cheats and uses two swords when he's supposed to have no subjob. On the bright side, he doesn't bother using some of the advantages of the job, such as regen, stoneskin and pulse, which would probably have made him completely unbeatable. He also gives you all the time you need to buff up before he casts anything on himself. You need to take advantage of that time and buff as fully as you can. The fight is also a race to see who can reapply buffs first without getting interrupted.

Buffs wear on entry, so as soon as you zone in, use Embolden+Protect IV with Sheltered ring/other buff ring (it'll cut Protect 4's duration to 15 min, but that's the cutoff for the fight anyway). Follow with Shell V, stoneskin (with stoneskin buff gear if you have it), bar-spells, blink, runes, food, and lastly just before you climb onto the stage (because they don't last as long) aquaveil, ice spikes, phalanx, refresh, regen and swordplay. I even made an enhancing/regen/refresh gear set macro just for this part. He often (but not always) uses runes strong to the current day, so you can think one step ahead and use runes that are strong against the element strong to the current day, and the appropriate bar-spell. However, the minute you hit him with a rune active, he changes his mind about what runes to put on. This makes it almost pointless to use Gambit on him at the start, since he'll be changing his runes around to rebuff himself while you're desperately trying to reapply runes in time to Lunge at him. A far better use of your time is to run up to him and use Lunge at the very start, before he has a chance to put on shell or any runes on. In that sense, you could say it almost doesn't matter what runes you put on yourself at the start since they will instantly get used up. However, keep a close eye on which runes he uses next, and match your own runes against them. The order of his buffs is always protect > shell > phalanx, with runes cast before or in the middle of those. I get nervous in these fights and quickly forget the names of the runes or mix up the direction I'm going on the elemental wheel, so I actually drew two columns on a sheet of paper and wrote out the names of runes on one side and the name of the rune I'd be using to counter it on the other side, just so I could glance at it during the fight and react quickly without having to waste precious seconds thinking about it.

I cannot stress enough how helpful stoneskin and phalanx are in this fight. You need to reapply them as soon as they wear, and for you to do that without interruption, you need to keep aquaveil up. The taru will also be reapplying phalanx throughout the fight. You can try to interrupt him, but the easiest way I found was to keep ice spikes up. It proc'ed fairly often, although I avoided fighting him on firesday in case it had a negative effect. I mostly tried fighting him on lightsday, thinking that if he then used dark runes, I could use light runes, and we would basically cancel each other out rather than chase each other down the elemental circle (also, I thought that if he had dark runes on, Pulse would only restore his mp and not his hp. However I never saw him use Pulse). Also, despite the day, once you hit him with a rune on, you can forget him sticking to any particular order (he often had three runes of completely different elements up).

I made a Pulse set myself, but I was scared to change out of my TP/tanking set even for that long. My WS set still included a lot of pdt pieces, reducing my damage. I chose to use Resolution, which did anywhere from 589-1209 damage. I rarely used swipe (the one I recorded was 403 dmg), and my Lunge (using mab gear) ranged from 1104-2630. I used the AA GS, and my regular swings were doing 160-267 dmg , with crits ranging from 423-588. I usually used sushi (I tried using a tav taco once and saw no change in my damage taken, and a huge reduction in my acc, with many of my swings missing or blocked by his parry). His parry rate is pretty high, and I would recommend keeping swordplay or battuta up as often as possible. Luckily if your acc is high enough, you manage to parry a significant number of his hits as well.

By comparison, his regular hits did anywhere from 15-128 dmg and 168-197 crit (with relic 119 head, twilight torque, flume belt, mollusca mantle, d ring, and assorted pieces that brought me to 42 pdt). If I kept phalanx on, his damage did not get over 68, and ranged more in the 30s. His extra elemental damage from runes, when I was careless and didn't buff to counter them, was an extra 8-23 damage per hit. If you can keep regen on, it is more than enough to balance this out, but if you let it drop, you trickle slowly towards yellow hp. My total hp was somewhere around 2000, and his Lunges did anywhere from 551 (with stoneskin up) to 1549. There is no way to predict when he will use it, and I would not rely on Liement or Foil to save you (foil wears so fast that it's practically useless). When you start hurting, One for All and Sforzo may keep you alive long enough to drink an elixir. I used a vile+1, vile nq, two hi-elixirs and one nq elixir. Elixirs are easy to farm from Voidwatch, brown chests, and regular or popped NMs, and even sometimes from flotsam, so I had a supply to use up. Keep in mind that anything except vile elixirs is going to keep you frozen in animation for 10 seconds, and unable to cast spells for a few seconds after.

There is also an element of luck involved to winning this. You have to hope that he doesn't follow a lunge with a ws. What I saw him do:
    Seraph blade: 0, 165
    Swift blade: 119
    RLB: 151, 211
    Savage blade: 432
    CDC: 705
    Vorpal: 869, 634, 523

So anyways, congrats on the win, and good luck to those of you who still have to beat this!
    (0)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    he will allways use the runes opoosite to yours, the trick is to use Lux yourself, he will use then dark runes to counter yours constantly. this mitgates any form of magical dmg he can throw at you, because all his lunges and swipes and even his sanguine blade will do barely any dmg, the same applies to your lunges/swipes/endmg. After that all you have to worry is cap PDT keep regen and phalanx up and wittle him down (def food helps) and use your own healing JA with 3 runes up. obviously you need to have proper 119 gear. Lux and umbra cancel each other out, so it helps to not worry about the tarus runes.

use Lux dont use any other runes against him, he will use umbra runes when you engage him with Lux
    (0)
    Last edited by Damane; 06-18-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    he will allways use the runes opoosite to yours, the trick is to use Lux yourself, he will use then dark runes to counter yours constantly. this mitgates any form of magical dmg he can throw at you, because all his lunges and swipes and even his sanguine blade will do barely any dmg, the same applies to your lunges/swipes/endmg. After that all you have to worry is cap PDT keep regen and phalanx up and wittle him down (def food helps) and use your own healing JA with 3 runes up. obviously you need to have proper 119 gear. Lux and umbra cancel each other out, so it helps to not worry about the tarus runes.

use Lux dont use any other runes against him, he will use umbra runes when you engage him with Lux
    I think you mean Lux and Tenebrae? Umbra is... water? TBH my macros just say the element that they're strong to, so I don't ever really need to know the names of them.
    (0)

Character
    Raymos
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

This guy is too much

SO I took some of these advices, except that its quite an ordeal and tons of gil spending to get either the AF or relic gear to 119. Haven't tried the 1h sword for RUN since couldn't find a decent 1 just yet. Still, in between buffing with stoneskin, phalanx, and ice spikes, as well as healing with pulse and regen, this guy somehow either lunges/swipes or ws just when my HP is in the red. so far would say at least 15 tries and no luck, just hoping I can get enough luck getting better equipment or pray the subjob locking gets kicked out or at least allow trusts into the fight
    (0)