Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Character
    Dethard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Hmmm, going by what the OP says then can BST have a pet that can cast tier V nukes, or one that can buff and heal? What about a pet that can be activated and deactivated without cost? How about a pet even that will stick to the target I tell it too rather than attacking the target it has hate on?

All jobs are different and have different abilities. If SE went with what the OP suggested then they might as well merge all pet jobs into one job and be done with it. People moaned enough and they nerfed BST pets TH, as I stated in another post if they applied the same logic they used for the nerf to PUP then the automaton should only be able to cast tier II spells as it is not a BLM or WHM.
    (1)

Character
    Ihnako
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Oh my god... <selfcensorship>

As I mentioned before - each job has it's own pet AI and therefore it's own advantage/disadvantage but TH on a NPC is a huge advantage over all other jobs cause you don't risk anything and you don't have to put effort into it.

Level BST (roughly 20h from Lv1 - 99), get a Perle-set, 2 decent weapons, buy 2 stacks food and one stack of your favourit pet.
    Thing is we'r still talking about one of the best tanking pets vs. melee (and that's what everyone is after @ dynamis) while you as master only attack to get tp and do some JA's. You'r pet is tough enough to kill it's opponent.

Skill? Not needed cause you use 4 jobspecific abilities. (other abilities are used to add some extra punch or safe food)
    #1 Fight/Heel for attack and/or pull strategies
    #2 Snarl to transfer your hate toward your pet
    #3 Reward to heal your pet instantly for >1.000 hp (you can use lower tier food but that would be a waste)
    w/o special equipment:
    -> Dipper Youly has 4.092 hp, Faithful Falcorr 4.968 hp and booth got the highest evasion for a pet plus triple attack, a.s.o.
    -> an Automation get's max. 2.2k hp (Valor) and you still have to finetune and command it
    -> at Lv.90 a wyvern has between 1213-1217 HP ~ so at Lv.99 ist should have roughly 1.5k hp and you can't command him/her
    -> an Avatar has an unknown ammount of hp but it's still below 2k while it's healing abilities are limited and it's evasion highly depends on it's masters merits/avatar/equipment. And you'r limited by your MP pool.

-> BST is one of the best axe wielders, got good (not to say in compare) the best defence value of all 4 pet jobs. [ axe A- / evasion C / parrying C ]
    -> PUP got a pretty decent setup [ h2h B+ / evasion B / guard B+ (pain in the ass to get leveled) / parrying D ] but crap equipment - SE believes PUPs are mages?
    -> DRG ever played? [ poelarm A+ / sword C / evasion B- / parrying B ] Equipment lately better but still fare away from PUP and BST
    -> SMN erm... you'r kidding? [ staff B / club C+ / evasion E ] and equipment that's as thin as paper defence wise.

-> A BST can solo an enmy while his pet can also take care of an enemy (or more enemies). As team they double their effectiveness
    -> A PUP and his automation only works in tandem. There are enemies that can be soloed by your automation but most will kill it in a short periode of time without your support. In most situations you'll take the punishment and not your automation. And you'll carefully watch your maneuvers so your automation won't get "overloaded".
    -> A DRG is limited by his own SJ so the wyvern that only attacks what you'r [actively] attacking can be a DD or DD-supporter
    -> A SMN has to relie on his avatar cause he/she won't survive otherwise. So attacking as SMN is a gamble with your life.

Regarding TH on equipment - it's a verry rare drop and it will take ages to get one.
    It took me 5 excessive La Theine parties to get mine. I spent >60h to get it and compared to your pet it's depending on your style a TH1 or TH?? while your pet's TH is a TH1 to TH?? cause it's 24/7 active and has the chance to raise with each attack. That's where all other jobs have to sacifice an additional inventory space and depending on your playstyle efficency.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ihnako; 04-04-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Character
    Dethard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Please explain how TH is a huge advantage? Does it help kill the mob quicker? NO. Does it give some super buff? NO. It does nothing except increase your chances of getting drops. This has now been nerfed to a level where many other jobs can get higher TH than a job with a THF type pet.

I do not understand why you so against it, if you feel it is so overpowered and you have BST levelled then use it.

You might as well say get rid of TH alltogether for all jobs, because THF gets it naturally and other jobs dont. But then look at other traits that different jobs get naturally, lets just have one job where everyone is the same and then gear differently to get traits, silly I know, but that is basically what you are saying for pet jobs.
    (2)
    Last edited by Dethard; 04-04-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihnako View Post
    Regarding TH on equipment - it's a verry rare drop and it will take ages to get one.
    It took me 5 excessive La Theine parties to get mine. I spent >60h to get it and compared to your pet it's depending on your style a TH1 or TH?? while your pet's TH is a TH1 to TH?? cause it's 24/7 active and has the chance to raise with each attack.
    Erm.... you're confusing THF with BST again.

BST get's TH1 and that's it, it does not advance any further unless you get equipment (not even out yet) that wont be BST alone.

Seriously quit this nonsense.

If I didn't know better I'd think you're trolling for the sake of it now, regardless the fact it is not even correct.
    (3)
    Last edited by Daniel_Hatcher; 04-04-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    If I didn't know better I'd think you're trolling for the sake of it now, regardless the fact it is not even correct.
    It's Inhako. You learn soon enough that that's what he does. And speaking of him, like I said before, you already said you have bst leveled and that it does so much better in dynamis, why don't you just enjoy it rather than trying to tear it down?

Bst is very obviously a solo specializing job. It will never have any place in proper endgame, SE has made sure of that and the players have backed it up with attitude and stigma. We deserve superiority in solo since all the other pet jobs (yes, even pup) are much more welcome in endgame than bst is. Why should a drg or smn or pup be able to solo as well as a bst when solo is the only thing we have?
    (3)

Character
    Quetzacoatl
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilk View Post
    BTW, bluemage also can get th 1 from spell traits, and equip the th+1 belt. so they can th2 w/out /thf
    A skilled BLU can also kill faster in Dynamis than any BST for that matter

Holy shit this thread is full of fail
    (4)

Character
    Juilan
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritreaver View Post
    I pretty much am in a RL forced break from FFXI. And as such i've tried to refrain from commenting on a game that i'm currently not playing, but for crying out loud ...

One of the things i've gotten so sick of over the years are ppl like you OP that make ridiculous demands of SE for no other reason than a severe case of the ol' 'green-eyed monster'.

I'm not a BST in any way shape or form and even i have been taken aback by how little of a notion SE has for that job. Its always been 2 steps forward and 5 steps back and to the side. SE is doing quite a good job of gutting that job without your jealousy-driven 2 cents.

Now as its obvious you are one of those delusional new breed PUP that i was seeing more and more of recently, i will not belabor the issue-i'll just say if you want TH to be a natural part of your job w/o having to rely on /sub or gear, swap to THF, RNG, or BST for goodness' sake and call it a day.

....or if you are actually wanting to broaden PUP's horizons, why not ask SE instead for a revamp on how many of the hard to get attachments are obtained? Because personally, i think that is a much more pressing issues for PUP atm. SE earned much goodwill from me with the recent AI fixes, but they still need to address the fact that some attachments just are not within the grasp of every PUP out there who wants them.
    OMG you are DIREWOLF!?
    And he's right the main issue with PUP are the attachments that drop from the brown caskets in dudgeons that don't drop. Sure skill up is nice, but its not a 1.2M nice...
    (1)
    I have the final form of Aegis, it has 40 Def Augments Shield bash V and Magic Damage Taken -45%... The ultimate form!

Character
    Spiritreaver
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Juilan View Post
    OMG you are DIREWOLF!?
    And he's right the main issue with PUP are the attachments that drop from the brown caskets in dudgeons that don't drop. Sure skill up is nice, but its not a 1.2M nice...

Well i am the shellholder for it anyways. Hopefully my RL issues will calm down enough for me to play again soon.

*Big Favor* Please send a /t to Elkinsilvermoon or Jonnydutch that i haven't died all the way yet and will be back when i can.

@the OP.

I say again, with less tact and a whole lot fewer words, quit being a whiny brat. You make a poor example of a pet job lover for the rest of the FFXI playerbase. There is a gorram moogle in your MH for a reason, jackass. Need TH bad for something? Use the little humper.
    (1)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilk View Post
    BTW, bluemage also can get th 1 from spell traits, and equip the th+1 belt. so they can th2 w/out /thf
    They can also add another TH1 trait with atma, so you get TH3 in abyssea
    (0)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    So basically there are several pet based jobs in the game, each with their own uniqueness and specialty

- SMN: dirt cheap pet based job, fast recast and resummon, able to tank with the right atmas and if you pay attention to damage type and elemental resistance, can self heal but have expensive dawn mulsum to use as "pet food" - play with caution as SMN is extremely weak and can die fast if gets too close to AOE damage. Lvlng SMN magic also takes awhile to cap - so if you graduated from abyssea school of insta99, best of luck doing GoV.
    - DRG: very nice DD as master with pet as support on damage, healing and status removal. It has the least commands for its pet, not as customizable as other pet jobs and pet is mostly add support damage. More melee DD than any of the other pet jobs.
    - PUP: require fine tuning between pet and master, very versatile with attachments and automaton types, front line attacker for master, with the right atmas and automaton can have pet to tank, requires dawn mulsum, oil and healing salve to survive. Getting the best attachment can be quite costly. Cannot issue direct command, only hints, pray to SE Gods that your automaton cast the right spells at the right time. Abyssea graduates will have the hardest time skilling up automatons, should start calling GOV areas a second home.
    - BST: Jug pets and pet foods can be expensive but in the long run you will get your money back, great tanking pets, lots of variety of pets to use depending on situations, limited direct command with long timers and tp dependency, can tank flawlessly inside and outside abyssea, use tons of expensive food, healing salve and dawn mulsum. Extremely newbie friendly since its master not required to have max weapon skills, pet can efficiently tank with no skill ups dependent.

So there you have it, 4 pet jobs with some variants, one is mage focused, 3 are melee DD focused, a couple require more skills and a bit of knowledge, each with its own plus and minuses.
    (0)
    Last edited by Luvbunny; 04-06-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast